Killer Instinct 2 hard disk

segundosombra

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi all,
I have a Killer Instinct 2 board with broken hard disk. I don't have other KI2 disk to make a copy directly.
My question is can I use the hd image that run on mame to "put" on a new hd?

Anybody can help me?

Thanks.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
I beleive you can use the mame .chd images on a standard HDD.
I dont know how to do it- this was discused here some time ago, unable to find the thread.

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
That will work for most games, but KI1/2 are special.

KI1 requires a certain model Seagate laptop hard drive, and won't boot any other model drive unless you are running boot ROM version 1.5D.

KI2 is the same, but I don't know of any boot ROM versions that will boot a nonstandard hard drive.

EDIT-I've done hard drive replacements for Area51/Max Force duo, NFL Blitz '99, and Gauntlet Dark Legacy using the MAME HD dumps, but I've never tried any KI game(I have a working KI2 HD though, not for sale however).

segundosombra

Cheng's Errand Boy
ttooddddyy, Reznor007 thanks for your reply.

Standard ki2 hd is hard to obtain, so I will try with an 1Gb Seagate hd (for desktop pc) and the mame boot rom.
If this job is not succesful, can I use an ki1 hd with my ki2 board? Ki1 and ki2 boards looks similar.
What do you think?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
KI1/2 boards are almost identical except for their IDE controller. KI2 PCB's will not work with KI1, but KI1 boards can add an adapter IC(official upgrade kit part) that will make it work as KI2.

As for using a KI1 HD and copying the KI2 data to it....it may work, but I don't know for sure. I've never tried it, and haven't heard of anyone who has.

praedicator

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Reznor007 said:
KI1 requires a certain model Seagate laptop hard drive, and won't boot any other model drive unless you are running boot ROM version 1.5D.

Do these systems run on BootROM, ie Open Firmware?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
praedicator said:
Do these systems run on BootROM, ie Open Firmware?

As far as I know, no. The boot ROM on the KI boards is just a MIPS R4600 program that contains the main game program and the hard drive boot code.

segundosombra

Cheng's Errand Boy
Hi!
I have changed the HD and now I can play KI2, but some times the game shows some vertical lines in the screen. I performed a CPU BOARD TEST and it give me SRAM ERROR. The board have many (16) sram chips, so my question is: is there any way to know what sram chip is faulty?

Thanks in advance.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
segundosombra said:
Hi!
I have changed the HD and now I can play KI2, but some times the game shows some vertical lines in the screen. I performed a CPU BOARD TEST and it give me SRAM ERROR. The board have many (16) sram chips, so my question is: is there any way to know what sram chip is faulty?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe the one thats getting hotter than the others
;)

segundosombra

Cheng's Errand Boy
I changed some sram chips (the hottest). Now I get SRAM OK and screen with no lines.
Thanks ttooddddyy!

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
segundosombra said:
I changed some sram chips (the hottest). Now I get SRAM OK and screen with no lines.
Thanks ttooddddyy!

all is well that ends well, congratulations on sorting out the problem
:smirk: