Quick question about a Supergun

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I was wondering, would it be possible to rewire a component cable for video? If so, how would I connect the video sync from the jamma harness? Other than that, couldn't I just connect the video from the harness to color coded RCA jacks on the back of my supergun box. Then just connect the cables from the box to my tv? If that's the case, it would be much cheaper than a RGB to S-Video adapter.

This will be my first supergun, and MVS in fact, and I just want to know if I am going in the right direction before I start to buy the parts for the build. I am probably moving soon, so wanna wait at least until I do before starting.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: While I'm at it, I might as well ask another quick question. What are the Test, Service, and Slam pins for on the Jamma harness? And when I wire a button to the coin pins, just pressing it acts as a coin insert?

Last edited:
You seem to be totally confused and it makes your question unanswerable.

would it be possible to rewire a component cable for video?
What does this mean? Does your supergun come with component video output and you want to convert it to composite? Do you have a component video cable leftover from your DVD player that you want to cut up? (in which case why even specify it's component, it's just a different coloured 3-line AV cable).

how would I connect the video sync from the jamma harness?
There is no such thing as 'video sync' on a JAMMA harness. There's composite sync, which contains no video data, just screen sync signals. Yes, it's used to generate the video display, but it's not called video sync as far as I'm aware.

If that's the case, it would be much cheaper than a RGB to S-Video adapter.
If you're suggesting you think all JAMMA games already have video output from the PCB I'd like to ask you why, do you think, everyone who makes a supergun uses a video encoder to convert the RGB to composite or S-video?

What are the Test, Service, and Slam pins for on the Jamma harness?
I'd be absolutely stunned if thirty seconds with google didn't reveal that the test button activates test mode (for supporting PCBs), service inserts a credit without incrementing the coin/credit counter, and that slam is a rarely used switch in the coin door that indicates abuse, ie: slamming the machine.

just pressing it acts as a coin insert?
that's a very good guess.

Part of the fun in making one of these things is learning how it works, doing research and trying new things. Isn't it?

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
What does this mean? Does your supergun come with component video output and you want to convert it to composite? Do you have a component video cable leftover from your DVD player that you want to cut up? (in which case why even specify it's component, it's just a different coloured 3-line AV cable).

No, I mean using the Red, Green, and Blue pins from the jamma harness to connect directly to component cables to connect to the component input on my TV.

There is no such thing as 'video sync' on a JAMMA harness. There's composite sync, which contains no video data, just screen sync signals. Yes, it's used to generate the video display, but it's not called video sync as far as I'm aware.

I was looking at this diagram and saw that there was a "SYNC" pin grouped with the other video pins:
http://www.gamesx.com/arcade/jamma.htm

If you're suggesting you think all JAMMA games already have video output from the PCB I'd like to ask you why, do you think, everyone who makes a supergun uses a video encoder to convert the RGB to composite or S-video?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a direct component connection from the jamma harness' Red, Blue, and Green pins would take away the need for a RGB to S-Video adapter, and could be a way to save some money.

Part of the fun in making one of these things is learning how it works, doing research and trying new things. Isn't it?

There is no need to be an ass, I just thought I would be able to find some help trying to build myself a supergun. Maybe the way I learn is to be helped through the first time, then I can do it on my own.

No, I mean using the Red, Green, and Blue pins from the jamma harness to connect directly to component cables to connect to the component input on my TV.
The colours of the cable are irrelevant, though we can I think agree that they're poorly chosen and confusing. Component video is NOT RGB. There's no similarity at all, they're totally incompatible.

Correct me if I'm wrong
You're wrong, see above.

There is no need to be an ass
Now perhaps I'm just assuming too much, but if after answering all of your questions at no charge I feel the urge to poke fun at your newbie questions, I think I should be allowed without being called names. I figure being so incredibly helpful should buy me a lot of leeway.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
To be specific such that you understand what NEOGEOman is saying, the JAMMA harness outputs RGB, not COMPONENT video. Component is the US version of high quality video, yet is still encoded.

Also, the gamesx.com website you referenced above? That is NEOGEOman's website :D

mmelzer2004

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I see, thanks for the information...

Is there any way to build a supergun WITHOUT a RGB to S-video converter, or am I stuck having to spend $70-ish for one?

EDIT: Scratch that, when looking at your diagram, and you have the 9-pin video output...is that for direct use with a computer monitor? Stupid question, maybe, but its better than screwing up somewhere.

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
mmelzer2004 said:

Is there any way to build a supergun WITHOUT a RGB to S-video converter, or am I stuck having to spend $70-ish for one?

Well, unless you have an RGB TV or monitor, no, you have to buy one. That's why they ain't cheap, slick. Two good options are the JROK and the R2N (at crazearcade.com). Seriously, if there were a cheaper way, no one would ever go AES over MVS.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
D-Lite said:
Well, unless you have an RGB TV or monitor, no, you have to buy one. That's why they ain't cheap, slick. Two good options are the JROK and the R2N (at crazearcade.com). Seriously, if there were a cheaper way, no one would ever go AES over MVS.

Well, here in Europe our TVs accept direct RGB and there's still quite some people with an AES.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
mmelzer2004 said:

EDIT: Scratch that, when looking at your diagram, and you have the 9-pin video output...is that for direct use with a computer monitor? Stupid question, maybe, but its better than screwing up somewhere.

Well you could always build one,

But after looking at your posts, You probably would be better off buying one....

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Amano Jacu said:
Well, here in Europe our TVs accept direct RGB and there's still quite some people with an AES.

One of my favorite things about Neo-Geo.com is how everytime there is a discussion about RGB and video, all the euros have to chime in about how they have RGB on their TVs.

Note, this guy with questions is from MARYLAND. That's in the US.

Also, we all already know that the US wasn't blessed with RGB TVs. But I guess that's OK because you guys got France.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
D-Lite, I think you misunderstood Amano's words. You assumed that if an MVS setup were cheaper (i.e. without the cost of the RGB>NTSC converter) nobody would get an AES anymore. And Amano rightly pointed out that even where people can actually have this cheaper setup (i.e. Europe) many or even most still get the home system, which disproves your point.

BTW, I also find it annoying when some Euro guy brags about RGB with Americans for no other reason than getting them envious but this wasn't the case.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Points to ponder about Componet.

We don't even really have componet (Or whatever it should really be called) in North America... I estimate that Less than 3% of all Tv's in NA homes can accept componet. Probably less than 10% of TV's Sold in NA are Componet Compatable.
at 3%-10%, it is an OVERSTATEMENT to say that we have Componet while the rest of the world has RGB.

In europe, you pick up a modertly priced TV and it has a nice RGB scart socket. In the USA, Walk into Walmart and see how many Componet tv's there are. Especaily compared to all of teh cheap Composite/Svid tv's.

I becha if you went all of the North american NG.com members, there are more RGB CRT's between us than Componet TV's.

SUMMARY: WE DON"T REALLY HAVE COMPONET TV'S in the USA.... we have RF, COMPOSITE and S-VIDEO. COMPONET is just a figment of our imagination. It's Like the GI JOE AIRCRAFT carrier. More people talk about it than actualy use it.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
And besides we all know that Private interests in the USA have killed us...

It's not just COmponet Video and DiVx.

Our Cell Phone Service Sucks. Nobody knows what exactly you need to hook up an HDTV.

AND OUR CARS BREAK DOWN EXACTLY AT 100,000 MILES....

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ohh and to answer the dude's queston...

RGB->Componet encoders do exist, but they are likely more expenive thatn S-Video.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
MKL said:
D-Lite, I think you misunderstood Amano's words. You assumed that if an MVS setup were cheaper (i.e. without the cost of the RGB>NTSC converter) nobody would get an AES anymore. And Amano rightly pointed out that even where people can actually have this cheaper setup (i.e. Europe) many or even most still get the home system, which disproves your point.

BTW, I also find it annoying when some Euro guy brags about RGB with Americans for no other reason than getting them envious but this wasn't the case.

No, I understood him. I don't think he got my sarcsasm.
Of course people would still buy AES even if MVS was cheaper. But the numbers would definitely be significantly different and the this site would be very different.

And my point still stands since we have no proof what the numbers would be otherwise. We are seeing more and more people switching to MVS everyday here evenen without the encoder price dropping. What's that tell you?

I'm not be argumentative, just stating that the cost of entry in the US is a significant factor in people getting into MVS.