More questions about adding a wire for my test switch to my wiring harness.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I'm getting ready to wire the test switch in my cab. I have the quick connector for the switch itself, but how do I go about actually connecting the wire to the edge connector?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
Typically the JAMMA connector has metal legs sticking out the non-PCB side, solder your test wire to the appropriate pin there.

Michael Yagami

I just checked the spot on my edge connector where the wire would go for the test switch and theres nothing there. The other wires look like they have some sort of quick connector crimped on.

Mike

timsnow1

n00b
There are two common types of jamma harnesses one type has eyelets for solder connections and the other is a crimp on terminal type. The crimp on terminals are available from Happ Controls part # 49-0276-00.

If you bought a cheap or crappy harness there's a good chance there's no pin in that position and you're basically screwed. If you're exceptionally talented you might consider moving an unused pin (say one of the redundant grounds or maybe an OPT pin not used) to the position you need, but if it were me I'd scream bloody murder, throw things, and order a new harness.

I suppose as an alternative you can use a fingerboard and connector to make a short (1-3") extension platform and wire up the pin that way... But don't forget to throw things.

Michael Yagami

timsnow1 said:
There are two common types of jamma harnesses one type has eyelets for solder connections and the other is a crimp on terminal type. The crimp on terminals are available from Happ Controls part # 49-0276-00.

Bingo! Thats what I was looking for! Thanks!

Mike

Michael Yagami

Ok, so I got the crimp terminals for my harness and I ran a new wire from the test switch to the "M" socket on my harness but the test switch still isn't working! Is there something I'm missing?

Mike

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Did you ground the test switch as well? This is needed for the test button/switch to work...

Michael Yagami

I'm realatively sure that one of the two wires I had hooked up was a ground.

Now, to further compound problems, the wire came loose from the crimp on connector in the jamma harness. Anyone know of an easy was to remove a connector from a jamma harness?

Mike

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If you can't crimp (as is clear) you should do what neogeoman suggested: remove an unused wire (with its terminal well crimped on) from the connector housing and insert it where test is: pin 15 of parts side if it's a jamma harness. Pin 11 (actually called M) of solder side if it's a MVS harness. Make sure the test switch is grounded.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Side issue:
Would it be worth considering a momentary stdp switch grounding both M & 15, so it will work for both jamma and mvs boards.

Or does grounding both test and coin#3 at the same time on mvs screw things up, have not tried this.

Michael Yagami

MKL said:
If you can't crimp (as is clear) you should do what neogeoman suggested: remove an unused wire (with its terminal well crimped on) from the connector housing and insert it where test is: pin 15 of parts side if it's a jamma harness. Pin 11 (actually called M) of solder side if it's a MVS harness. Make sure the test switch is grounded.

How do I go about removing a terminal from the harness itself. I have one stuck in 15 at the moment. If I can get it out of there I can get back to work.

Mike

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Take a jewelry flathead screwdriver (smallest size) and stick it in between the pin and the housing:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/stuff/removepin.jpg

Since you don't have a wire you can pull from the other side take another, bigger screwdriver and push the pin 'til it comes out.

Do the same with an unused pin (with wire crimped on) that you will use for test. Before sliding it in the test receptacle bent the tab so that it sticks out a bit (not too much!):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/stuff/benttab.jpg