SNK Interview

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
3-D Metal Slug = :oh_no:

Thanks for the interview though - I found it to be an interesting read.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
"release some titles" for PSP... = more than one! And a launch title! Good news, I hope it gets released domestically, since there is doubtless a region lockout on PSP.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
3D slug sounds cool. It would be really cool if it was cell shaded :mr_t: . The PSP game im kinda doubting that it will make it to the states. Sony wont even let MS3 over here so why would they let them release a launch title in 2d? Capcom maby in the same boat with that darkstalkers game they have for psp.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Kikizo: So we understand you're working on updates to existing franchises, but are you working on any entirely new franchises?

Morishita: That is a good question, we're beginning to understand that as well as focussing on older franchise titles - I guess I mentioned Metal Slug, and also King of Fighters - but now we are trying to create some new franchise titles as well. One new title is Neo Geo Battle Coliseum. This game is released for the arcade at the end of the year, on Atomiswave, and it's kind of a new concept 2D fighting game, and includes characters from King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, World Heroes and Metal Slug. I believe this title will continue to release and become a franchise title for SNK.
had an inclin this would be the case. All stars games seem to work well in the arcades.

edit:
I don't think many customers in Japan want to spend their money on games as much as prize machines for example, and so it is tough for manufacturers to invest in the arcade games. Maybe ten years ago people might have gone to arcades to entertain themselves but people have a lot of entertainment options now even on their mobile phone.
there's something so wrong with that picture. what can you do though? even so I personally think there is a chance for a revival of the arcade scene. they have to market it as being retro, or a hangout joint for marginalised cool kids and voila.

Last edited:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Thanks for posting the article, a good read! Now don't get me wrong here, I am excited about NGBC, but it doesn't really seem like much of a new franchise... it is a new title of course, but it is a new title that consists of a not so new concept and characters from existing games. I would like to see something completely new or something that is more new along the lines of MoTW and it's relation to the rest of the FF series. (I also want to see the KoF's and MS's keep coming out as well of course... ;) )

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
hope it means 3D slug in the Dolphin Blue type sence of the term 3D, with 3D backgrounds and possably 3D characters but still with 2D game play. That would rock.I think any attempt to make slug into 3D shooter of either 3rd or 1st person type would kinda ruin the whole point
Still on the whole its good to here that SNKP has lots in the pipe line, although some of the pics of Kikizo made him look really bored.

01c.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
SNZero said:
hope it means 3D slug in the Dolphin Blue type sence of the term 3D, with 3D backgrounds and possably 3D characters but still with 2D game play. That would rock.I think any attempt to make slug into 3D shooter of either 3rd or 1st person type would kinda ruin the whole point
Still on the whole its good to here that SNKP has lots in the pipe line, although some of the pics of Kikizo made him look really bored.

01c.jpg

it really depends how they view metal slug - I personally wouldn't mind seeing something set in the metal slug universe without it being a shooter that emulates its 2d counterpart. maybe an rpg saving private ryan style? won't happen but.. its more forgivable if they fuck up with a 3d kof than the metal slug series. that's why I hope they don't go for the obvious and try something cool.
PSP isn't really a machine I would consider good for arcade style games.. nor the DS for that matter.
However, since the 2D market has traditionally been 2D orientated, Sony probably will want appeal in this regard too. I can see more 2D style games coming out for PSP than PS2. Not good for someone like me who's not very interested in getting a sony portable though...

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Thank you very much for the link, those PSP news are awesome!

Well, folks at Sony already said that they also want "simple games"
on PSP, not just big projects. This means we'll see more 2D games,
I'm sure about it (we already have a good example: Vampire Chronicles
from Capcom).

Can't wait...

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
i knew it, nbc is coming out this year. i expect itll be a december release with a loke test mid october.

thats only a month away :)

woohoo!!!

Hot Chocolate

No Longer Yung, No Longer Raoul,
20 Year Member
I prey that the PSP Metal Slug gets released over here

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:
i knew it, nbc is coming out this year. i expect itll be a december release with a loke test mid october.

thats only a month away :)

woohoo!!!

why you lucky basta... you always get first dibs. Is neowave still getting decent play over there? Its been released right? strange then that it hasn't yet been seen outside asia (I think).

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
why you lucky basta... you always get first dibs. Is neowave still getting decent play over there? Its been released right? strange then that it hasn't yet been seen outside asia (I think).

yeah its pretty popular, ive go the shits with it though..... joe can do a rush punch combo off a c.LP then cancel the last hit (qcf+A) into a super (the flying knee one) for big damage. i might have to give kof up.....

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
beelzebubble said:
yeah its pretty popular, ive go the shits with it though..... joe can do a rush punch combo off a c.LP then cancel the last hit (qcf+A) into a super (the flying knee one) for big damage. i might have to give kof up.....

does that mean its broken or just.. not worth the time?

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
does that mean its broken or just.. not worth the time?

nah i dont think its broken though something may turn up (im not a big fan of the just defence system either).

i just think its not worth MY time at the moment if you know what i mean..

AztekNinja

Fire Starter, Instigator, the guy from RE5
I got and idea, why not include prizes in the NBC game? If folks over in Nihon are obsessed with winning prizes then you should use that to revive the arcade scene. Every time you win a battle you get a prize or tokens towards a prize machine, that way there will be at least some incentive to play arcade games. ITs a win win situation.

yashiroTCM

Hardened Shock Trooper
We used to make games using our MVS System, but whenever we released a new game, just one week later, pirate copies would be coming onto the market.

Freakin Dumpers this is ALL YOUR FAULT! :very_ang:

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
yashiroTCM said:
We used to make games using our MVS System, but whenever we released a new game, just one week later, pirate copies would be coming onto the market.

Freakin Dumpers this is ALL YOUR FAULT! :very_ang:

Xbox > Nio Jio.

daybona

Juz,

Roms helped me rediscover my love of the Neo, but I guess they ultimatley killed it.

Shit like this makes me really mad at rom whores.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
daybona said:
Roms helped me rediscover my love of the Neo, but I guess they ultimatley killed it.

Shit like this makes me really mad at rom whores.
More the boots than the roms. It wasn't like they were ever selling massive ammounts of $300+ carts to consumers. It was more when arcade operators stopped buying from them, and got cheap boots from China instead. Yeah, the two are related, but that's my understanding.

You didn't kill the Neo. If roms helped you rediscover your love of the Neo, and you bought even one cart after that point, that's money they wouldn't have had without the roms.

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
More the boots than the roms. It wasn't like they were ever selling massive ammounts of $300+ carts to consumers. It was more when arcade operators stopped buying from them, and got cheap boots from China instead. Yeah, the two are related, but that's my understanding.

I absolutely agree with you, SouthtownKid. Big quote.