Just a tip to possibly save your non-working PCBs

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
I was going through my boards to make sure they were all working, and I came across a konami board that wouldn't output sound. I checked everything I could, and as a last resort I thoroughly examined the "teeth" on the solder side of the board. I found a couple of teeth had overlapped creating a disturbance that ceased sound output. For those who have minor glitches in your games, you may want to check that all solder points on the bottom of your PCBs are sepparated. It may be as simple as that!

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Greywolf said:
Thanks for the tip! Helpful advice is always appreciated! :buttrock:

Yes..I wanted to thank him myself../always appreciated!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
You're welcome.

I got an email from a buddy who said he found this problem on a few of his boards... maybe this is more common than we thought. Hmmm... *looks down the list of faulty boards on ebay*.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
more tricks

first thing I do to broken or non working boards .
Qtip the jamma connections with alcohol .
Spray down board with windex or alchol or water or mr clean while at a 65 defree angle have towel underneath it to collect dirt dust . (or just throw in the shower)
remove all eproms blow into sockets with canned air or mouth .
Scrub legs with toothbrush and windex .
Place board in front of fan allow at least six hours for board to dry .
Ive saved and broughten back dozens of board this way .
Some may chastise me for using water somtimes but if you make sure the board dries quckley no big deal , Ive read webpages where people said they put there boards in the dishwasher .
Also make sure all eproms and plugind are seated properly , if you find an eprom teeter totters when pushing it in with both thumbs try pushing the legs to a more in or out angle until it doesnt do it anymore .

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Xavier said:
first thing I do to broken or non working boards .
Qtip the jamma connections with alcohol .
Spray down board with windex or alchol or water or mr clean while at a 65 defree angle have towel underneath it to collect dirt dust . (or just throw in the shower)
remove all eproms blow into sockets with canned air or mouth .
Scrub legs with toothbrush and windex .
Place board in front of fan allow at least six hours for board to dry .
Ive saved and broughten back dozens of board this way .
Some may chastise me for using water somtimes but if you make sure the board dries quckley no big deal , Ive read webpages where people said they put there boards in the dishwasher .
Also make sure all eproms and plugind are seated properly , if you find an eprom teeter totters when pushing it in with both thumbs try pushing the legs to a more in or out angle until it doesnt do it anymore .

I give my boards a good wash, too. If you use distilled water (1-2$ at the grocery store), you won't have a problem with shorting the board.

Also, it's a good idea press the eproms, as you said, because during cold seasons condensation and other impurities can settle in those spots. If you keep those chips secure then no vapor can squish its way into those footings.