Some really bizarre stuff in the latest preview of KOF:MI at GameSpot.

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/kofworkingtitle/preview_6106556.html

There's some really bizarre stuff mentioned there, English voice acting and...an Xbox version?! With on-line play!?!

King of Fighters: Maximum Impact Updated Hands-On - Near-Final Impressions

The King of Fighters series has enjoyed critical acclaim and considerable popularity since its Neo Geo arcade debut in 1994. While console and arcade games alike have charged ahead into the third dimension, the King of Fighters series has concentrated on consistently delivering a deep, technical fighting experience, moving at the lightning pace that is the hallmark of the modern 2D brawler. Having survived the SNK bankruptcy (and its subsequent development by Eolith and later by the reborn SNK Playmore), this much-beloved franchise is in for its biggest visual and gameplay shakeup yet. The version we played was reportedly nearly final code, save for some localization issues yet to be worked out.

The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact represents a huge departure from the rest of the series--not because of its 3D visuals, but because the game has been generally retooled to be more accessible to a home console audience. While the characters borrowed from previous KOF games largely retain their original fighting moves, a Tekken-like chain combo system has been added to the mix, introducing button-mashing to a series known for its emphasis on joystick-button combinations. Futhermore, Maximum Impact's four, brand-new characters all emphasize button combo moves to a much greater degree than the game's predecessors. Also, although eight-way running isn't possible, you can sidestep. Doing so before executing certain moves can prove an effective way of breaking your opponent's guard. Maximum Impact has been fitted with some typical features of a console fighting game as well, such as a mission mode, through which you can unlock new content. This works much like Soul Calibur's Edge Master mode, sans the world traveling.

Maximum Impact's new characters are Alba Meira, who relies on chain combos and gothic flair, Lien Neville, who fights with emphasis on technical precision you'd expect from a world-class assassin, Mignon Beart, whose cutesy manner and fighting style seems inspired by Bloody Roar's Uriko, and Soirée Meira, whose Capoeira style is an obvious nod to Tekken's Eddie Gordo. Chae Lin is also, strictly speaking, a new character, but her moves are so similar to those of the absent Kim Kaphwan, that she can be called a re-skinned version of the Korean K.O. king. Of additional interest is the game's inclusion of Rock Howard from Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves. Rock has been included alongside the King of Fighters cast before, but only in crossover titles, such as Millenium Fighting 2001. According to SNK, Maximum Impact marks the young buck's formal initiation into the KOF roster.

Unsurprisingly, Maximum Impact's storyline is driven by the presence of these new fighters. The game has a self-contained plot, unrelated to the rest of the series. Maximum Impact is essentially about gang warfare. Alba and Soirée, in particular, are on a mission to avenge their former caretaker and leader, Fate, who died while attempting to assassinate Duke, a character who first appeared in the game Burning Fight. Duke's Southtown gang, Mephistopheles, has been rapidly gaining power. With Fate dead, Alba and Soirée are the new leaders of the only gang capable of challenging his rule.

Unlike in previous versions we've seen, which featured only Japanese character voices, the version we played has the option to choose between original and English voiceover. Both sound decent, so this choice will probably be a matter of individual player preference. Most of the story seems to be narrated through text, however, with occasional sprinklings of spoken dialogue.

Perhaps the most surprising development since we saw Maximum Impact, last June, is its inclusion of online play in the Xbox version. Online combat makes Maximum Impact a much more enticing offering, overall, and will do much to extend its replay value.

In all, The King of Fighters: Maximum Impact is looking sharp, as it nears completion. While 2D fighting purists will likely avoid the game in favor of upcoming King of Fighters arcade ports, it seems more likely to sit well with the mainstream audience SNK Playmore seems to be actively courting. The implementation of Xbox Live multiplayer will be a welcome addition to the series.

By Avery Score, GameSpot POSTED: 09/02/04 10:37 PM

Last edited:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Alba and Soirée, in particular, are on a mission to avenge their former caretaker and leader, Fate, who died while attempting to assassinate Duke, a character who first appeared in the game Burning Fight. Duke's Southtown gang, Mephistopheles, has been rapidly gaining power.

Whoever slaps them first for that obvious mistake gets free tokens.

English voice overs....well, I'm just glad they're optional. It'll be pretty interesting to see who they get to do characters we've heard voiced by the same Japanese folks for a lot of years, but I doubt it'll be as good or fit as well.

I'd like to know where they got the X-Box info, since SNKP have long said this would be a PS2 game only. No mention of any possible X-Box ports anywhere else, and I would've figured there would've been a big fat press release in that regard on their homepage.

Last edited:

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Perhaps gamespot said somthing that they shouldnt before a formal press release. That or they just screwed up.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Fygee said:
I'd like to know where they got the X-Box info, since SNKP have long said this would be a PS2 game only.

Just like MS3 was coming out on the PS2 also, and lookie who finaly landed up with the port.

sQuareh4t3r

formerly "sQuareh4t3r", then "MacGuffin", now "sQu
Abasuto said:
Just like MS3 was coming out on the PS2 also, and lookie who finaly landed up with the port.
Well, technically, MS3 did indeed come out on the PS2 (just not in the region you are talking about).

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
I sure would hope the Xbox gets a port with online play. I have the PS2 version and thought it was kind've cool.

Last edited:

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
From Madman's Cafe:

Grave said:
Avery's a good friend of mine, we used to hang in Boston before he moved to SF to take the Gamespot position. Though, when he mentioned the Xbox version of MI to me yesterday, I got kind of confused, it seems really weird that SNK would wait until now to spring it. He said it was 95% complete, which led me to wonder if he was confused, but considering he said it to me and wrote it in the article as well, I gotta believe there's a good reason for that.

Anyway, I meant to ask him about Terry's engrish being translated, still can, but he's in France at the moment.

I still want to play KOF MI, but the more I hear about the gameplay from people who have similar taste in games, the more I think I'm going to hate it. Blah.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Fygee said:
English voice overs....well, I'm just glad they're optional.
You said it.

So is that Duke Duke, or not? Is Duke definitely not Duke?

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
SouthtownKid said:
So is that Duke Duke, or not? Is Duke definitely not Duke?
I'm really at a loss to explain where they got the idea that KOF:MI Duke and BF Duke are the same character. There've been no indications in the KOF:MI storyline that it has anything to do with the BF storyline, the two Duke's are utterly dissimilar -- the only thing they have in common is their names (which they also share with Duke from the Double Dragon fighting game on the NEO). I think Gamespot just doesn't know what they're talking about.

--Chris

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Fygee said:
English voice overs....well, I'm just glad they're optional. It'll be pretty interesting to see who they get to do characters we've heard voiced by the same Japanese folks for a lot of years, but I doubt it'll be as good or fit as well.

I'd like to know where they got the X-Box info, since SNKP have long said this would be a PS2 game only. No mention of any possible X-Box ports anywhere else, and I would've figured there would've been a big fat press release in that regard on their homepage.

anyone other than Satoshi Hashimoto doing Terry's voice? eh, thanks but no thanks...
:p

and I hope this winds up being true as far as the XBox release goes...a little healthy competition never hurt anybody...

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:
I'm really at a loss to explain where they got the idea that KOF:MI Duke and BF Duke are the same character. There've been no indications in the KOF:MI storyline that it has anything to do with the BF storyline, the two Duke's are utterly dissimilar -- the only thing they have in common is their names (which they also share with Duke from the Double Dragon fighting game on the NEO). I think Gamespot just doesn't know what they're talking about.

--Chris

Or maybe they worked it into the english version of the game for some reason, completely changed what he looks like, and tried to tie it into something or other.

XBOX PORT WOO!

FUCK PS2!

Catoblepa

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Abasuto said:

MS3 came out on PS2, I played it and it was a great port.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
Nesagwa said:
Or maybe they worked it into the english version of the game for some reason, completely changed what he looks like, and tried to tie it into something or other.
What's that? Former CAPCOM USA staff members responsible for changing cyborg spacecop Kevin of 2010 ~Street Fighter~ (Famicom) into street-fighter-turned-biogenetic-scientist Ken of Street Fighter 2010 (NES) are now on the U.S. staff of KOF:MI?!?! :p

--Chris

KDash31987

Overtop Pathfinder
GameSpot recently removed any mention of an Xbox version from their site. Hmm...

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Dash no Chris said:

--Chris

Possibly Ben Herman gave some OMG OMG uber-secrert info to the GameSpot editorialist? lol

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Nesagwa said:
XBOX PORT WOO!

FUCK PS2!

Much agreed, though it still rocks on PS2. Fingers are crossed, this game on live would absolutely dominate.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Shito said:
Possibly Ben Herman gave some OMG OMG uber-secrert info to the GameSpot editorialist? lol

I wouldn't be surprised. Remember how the KoF MI site had all the characters if you just typed it into the adress bar under characters? Also the time when Arcadia had Samurai Spirits Zero Special listed s parts of the upcoming issue, but that was pulled until the issue came out?

Abster

Dodgeball Yakuza
If this was indeed true, I would be truly shocked. Given SNK is mainly a Japanese company this truly would be a first, as english voices were things I LEAST expected. I can only wonder how it will turn out...