ATOMISWAVE Home System In Development

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
Sorry if this has been posted, the search didnt come up with anything.

I was looking for a AW unit with a search engine and came accross this:

sega_atomiswave_hardware.jpg

Looks like a CD based home console being made, Personally I want CARTS (YES FUCKERS MAKE CARTS). Anyway the info with this picture said the following:

An anonymous source sent us this hastily taken photo from the offices on a Japanese games development house. Could this be a home version of Sammy's Atomiswave hardware in a commodity box a la the NeoGeo? From the looks of it, it's a simple box with an optical drive slot and ports for four controllers/peripherals; then again, the rest of the sheet shows modular arcade hardware, so it would seem just as likely that this box is just the processing innards of a mix-and-match arcade hardware system.

So, to sum up, Sega's surprise E3 announcement is probably either new (presumably cheaper) modular Atomiswave arcade hardware, or a (more exciting) home version of the Atomiswave hardware? Or, of course, something completely unrelated, and we're getting all frothy for nothing.

Not sure if this Info is old or what, but it looks shit IMO, we have nothing to look forward too.

The only thing the AW will make some sales with is KOF04 and Metal Slug 6, looks like the next Hyper 64 to me.

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
If there's a higher resolution version of this photo kicking about, it would be nice to be able read the text.

This system would be cool, but frankly, it seems to me that it would be financial suicide for Sammy - cost of development, hardware production, packaging, etc, would be a huge strain, and supposedly Sammy's under a great deal of financial strain already, stemming from the huge loans taken to buy out Sega. Porting successful Atomiswave games to the Japanese PS2 (which has an enormous user base) would be a far safer move. In general this possible system seeing release seems unlikely to me, but stranger things have happened.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Well as unlikely as it is I say badass.

And in my opinion it looks cool, low profile ala the aes, and 4 controller ports.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I'm interested, hope it's not a hoax.
never be half the system that the NEO is but it will be nice to not have
to take bitch ass ports that load and shit on the ps2 or whatever.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
gmw said:
This system would be cool, but frankly, it seems to me that it would be financial suicide for Sammy - cost of development, hardware production, packaging, etc, would be a huge strain, and supposedly Sammy's under a great deal of financial strain already, stemming from the huge loans taken to buy out Sega.

It wouldn't cost that much to develop the hardware, would it? It basically amounts to a repackaging of existing arcade boards, from what I understand.

But anyway, I'm not really thrilled about them taking the optical medium route. I understand that they're maybe thinking that this might give them more mainstream support. But I think they'd be wrong to think that - I think that the Atomiswave home audience is going to be of the hardcore niche variety (similar to that of the Neo). They'd be much better off just catering to this audience by offering a cart-based system. This would give their system some uniqueness among the sea of other optical media-based systems, most of which will probably see near perfect ports of the Atomiswave's best games.

I just don't see any reason to buy CD (or whatever) based system - it just doesn't offer anything special.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
this was speculated some time ago when we awaited 'big news' (which ended up being the limited inserts). unfortunately, consolization seems to be the only route (or the ports).

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I hope that this is true and not a hoax. This would be the closest thing to a Neo-Geo 2. I just hope that it is cart based.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lithy said:
Or this possible console....

come on man... you don't seriously think that thing could turn out to be a console do you? they're already about to rake in the money making ports. this is beyond speculation - you don't even know if those things on the front of that 'thing' are controller ports.

:cool:

Since all costs of development, hardware production, etc are very little (its an upgraded dreamcast) It could work having Sega, SNK and Sammy as main developers.

about optical media VS cartridges, we are not in 1994 anymore.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
While I was giddy earlier about PS2 ports, the "Load Times" probably would suck, or there'd be something off about it... it be cool to have an AW Console, but only if they went with Carts. I just wonder if it would be cheaper than having Supergoose79 Consolize an AW Arcade system?

MERCENARY X99

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
metallizer said:
:cool:

Since all costs of development, hardware production, etc are very little (its an upgraded dreamcast) It could work having Sega, SNK and Sammy as main developers.

about optical media VS cartridges, we are not in 1994 anymore.

what do you mean we are not in 1994 anymore?
yes we are.

ok seriously, if the games are made in cart format why can't they remain so for a supposed console version? also, why would anyone pick this up when the games would get ported to other consoles anyway? am I the onlyone that remembers this discussion months back?
one more thing -
dreamcast
'nuff said.

praedicator

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I saw this a while back on Gizmodo. Since the original article was posted right before E3 and there hasn't been any new information since then, this might turn out to be only a dream...

For what it's worth I really hope this machine comes to market!

DevilRedeemed said:
what do you mean we are not in 1994 anymore?
yes we are.

ok seriously, if the games are made in cart format why can't they remain so for a supposed console version? also, why would anyone pick this up when the games would get ported to other consoles anyway? am I the onlyone that remembers this discussion months back?
one more thing -
dreamcast
'nuff said.

none of the new mainstream systems were meant to run 2D games , they are all about 3D stuff. It´s possible now to produce a system with loads of ram and a very fast optical media driver.

Why would ppl pick the game at AW instead of other systems? Simple, release the game first in the system and let everybody else waiting months for shitty ports. :smirk:

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I wasn't crazy about N64 which essentially had only first party support, and that's Nintendo. I don't know how worked up I can get for a system that plays only Sammy stuff. I guess it would include Sega and SNKP now, but it still seems limited.

As weird as it feels to say, I'd probably rather they just concentrated on making as good of ports as possible. If it were a cart system, I'd be tempted, but if it's cd based the same as everything else, what's the point?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
praedicator said:
I saw this a while back on Gizmodo. Since the original article was posted right before E3 and there hasn't been any new information since then, this might turn out to be only a dream...

For what it's worth I really hope this machine comes to market!

yes, that's where it came from, now I remember - speculation about sega's 'explosive' anouncement (which turned out to be shit not worth the mention).
As a console design that's lame IMO - looks like a pippin or some crap like that.

I don't agree on the port thing. I don't think they would end up being shitty ports.

can you imagine though? reviving the Dreamcast in such a way? we are foolhardy on this site, but lets be realistic - AW is finding it hard enough to hold ground as it is.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Nice as that would be, I would think Sammy would want to make sure the hardware is established and has a decent selection of quality games already out. Since there's only Neo-Wave, and to an extent Rumble Fish to appeal to the fighting game, SNK loving crowd, I think the home version of the hardware would likely bomb right now.

gamejunkie

Hijacked by a Spambot!
To tell you the truth this really looks to be a CD/DVD add on device to the Atomiswave. As for the objects on the front, they maybe controller ports for majong controllers(MVS) or some thing like that. They may also be dial buttons to turn up and down volume.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Atomiswave home system? Hahaha.

People, this is most likely another add-on for the Atomiswave arcade board, most likely a CD/GD/DVD drive, just like the NAOMI/NAOMI2/Tri-Force/Chihiro GD add-on drive.

Atomiswave ROM carts have a 128Mbyte limit, this system obviously needs a optical media add-on.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Consumer AW system?....FUCK THAT!

It looks to be a disc based addon/upgrade (ala Naomi GD rom) or the atomiswave has been redesigned in general and now uses discs (to cut down production costs). An atomiswave homesystem would be one of the most retarted ideas in gaming. PS2, Xbox and GC suite the world fine, just release the fucking ports.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
Atomiswave home system? Hahaha.

People, this is most likely another add-on for the Atomiswave arcade board, most likely a CD/GD/DVD drive, just like the NAOMI/NAOMI2/Tri-Force/Chihiro GD add-on drive.

Atomiswave ROM carts have a 128Mbyte limit, this system obviously needs a optical media add-on.

that's 2x the amount o' ram that the dreamcast had and it did fine in the 2D department. I can see it as maybe having at one time been considered as a cost effective means of making games, but diversifying without having gotten the juice out of the current format would be silly, especially since they are yet to get the runaway success SNK and Sega did at the cades.
Proto shit comes up all the time. You just have to look for it.
Dreamcast proto shells for instance. weird.

by the way - can nothing be done about enlarging the image and trying to get a read? - atleast of the writing on the piece of yellow paper. Its definetly all in Japanesey.

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
DevilRedeemed said:
that's 2x the amount o' ram that the dreamcast had and it did fine in the 2D department. I can see it as maybe having at one time been considered as a cost effective means of making games, but diversifying without having gotten the juice out of the current format would be silly, especially since they are yet to get the runaway success SNK and Sega did at the cades.
Proto shit comes up all the time. You just have to look for it.
Dreamcast proto shells for instance. weird.

The Dreamcast actually had 16Mbytes of main RAM, and there is no relation between how big the game ROM is and the system RAM. The Dreamcast had 16Mbytes of RAM, but it used 1Gbyte ROM discs, and not small 128Mbyte ROM carts.

- Anyway, I believe I don't understand your point.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I'd bet it's an add-on to the AW as well.
Sammy isn't dumb enough to release the AW as a home console. By the time it hit the shelves the next gen PS, X-Box, and Nintendo would be about ready to come out.

Although the concept of Sammy one day having a popular home console isn't really all that impossible. Back when the Genesis and SNES were the main consoles, would you have guessed that one day Sega would be gone from the hardware end, Sony would have the #1 selling console and Microsoft would have a home console matching nintendo in sales ? Tides can change.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Abasuto said:
Sammy isn't dumb enough to release the AW as a home console.

Especially considering that the Nintendo "Revolution", Microsoft "Xbox2/XboxNext/Xenon" and Sony PlayStation3 release dates are getting closer and closer.

EDIT - Sorry, I did not notice you mentioned this.

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Mushiki said:
The Dreamcast actually had 16Mbytes of main RAM, and there is no relation between how big the game ROM is and the system RAM. The Dreamcast had 16Mbytes of RAM, but it used 1Gbyte ROM discs, and not small 128Mbyte ROM carts.

- Anyway, I believe I don't understand your point.

I'm actually so tired right now I don't have a grasp on reality, so if I made no sense you now know why. I'm just saying - an add on? when they've released barely 10 games for the system - a system which can do Guilty Gear style graphics and gameplay but which ends up doing neowave instead. Its like saying the neo geo needed an add on. if they can do the programming, we can forget about the limitations.