mounting sanwa stick JLF-TP-8Y

drone9

Marked Wolf
after receiving my custom control stick parts this week, I started working on the casing design today. it was just now that I realized that I have no clue how to actually mount the joystick. its a Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y and unlike the JLF-TP-8YT or JLF-TP-8S it does not feature any metal plate. that leaves me with only two holes that can be used to screw it onto the casing. but somehow I have this feeling that that's not the way it should be done... any advice?

edit: slight topic adjustment

Last edited:

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
Well on that picture it looks as though there are 4 holes in the corners of the black plastic which could be used for screws. I'm not sure though as I'm a fan of metal plates.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Exactly: you should use the 4 holes, not the two more external ones. Use short screws or cut them to the right size so that they don't touch the PCB below. And BTW the sticks on the page you linked are all the same stick with different or no mounting plates. If you wanted the plate you should have ordered one...

drone9

Marked Wolf
I know it's the same stick, and now I wish I had thought of the design before ordering... :emb:
anyway. now that I have the one without the plate, I have to find a way to mount it. the problem with the four holes you mentioned mkl, is that there is only about 5mm space between plastic and PCB. plus there are quite big soldering points really close by... anyone know how the metal plates are fixed to the sticks that feature one?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
drone9 said:
I have to find a way to mount it. the problem with the four holes you mentioned mkl, is that there is only about 5mm space between plastic and PCB. plus there are quite big soldering points really close by...

Well, you could use the two external holes but if I were you I'd use the 4 holes. What do you think they are there for? Also, I've seen one of those professional Japanese Superguns, I think it was called Twin Rudder, and can tell you the sticks were mounted on the panel with screws in the 4 holes. you need screws of an exact length, I know: that's what screw cutters are for.

drone9 said:
anyone know how the metal plates are fixed to the sticks that feature one?

With the two external holes.

drone9

Marked Wolf
still being lost about how to actually mount that thing, I googled a bit
and found this interesting thread at shoryuken.com:
Sanwa JLF mounting plate

gaijin said:
I have a solution. And one I'm very proud to have come up with myself too!

It even works for Happ sticks! I've made top mounted Happ sticks myself, and managed to fit them into boxes every bit as small as tha-darkside's last couple projects.

However, it's ridiculously hard to explain without pics, but I'm not going to be able to make any and upload them any time tonight or tomorrow. So I'll just outline the method for now and try to post the pics in a couple of days.

Here goes!

1. Measure the length and width of the stick to be used in the project and add 1/4" to each of those dimensions.

2. Mark the area on the deck, and drill a pilot-hole somewhere inside those dimensions.

3. Cut out the area of the deck into which the home-made mounting plate will be set with either a rotary tool (dremel), a jigsaw, or even a thin hand saw.

4. Sand down the edges smooth.

5. Take a new measurement of the rectangular hole you have made in the deck; length and width.

6. Now *I* use 3/4" MDF for my boxes. So when I prepare to measure and cut a piece of sheet metal to make a mounting plate out of, I add exactly 1-1/4" to both length and width. That is, I add 3/4" to each side, but then I subtract 1/8" from each side to accommodate the height of the mounting plate in comparison to the to of the deck. There is always going to be a discrepancy with this method. It will never mount flush. Not ever. So you want to lower it, rather than have it stick up. Well, *I* do anyway. You can do whatever the Hell you want for your project. (Also, for decks made out of 1/2" MDF, I would only add 3/4" to the measurements. That's 1/2" to each side, minus 1/8" to account for aforementioned discrepancies.)

7. Take your measurements for the mounting plate and cut this over-sized rectangle out of a piece of rigid 1/16" sheet metal. I used a jigsaw, and later trimmed the edge with a rotary tool (dremel). You may be able to do this with a really large pair of metal snips, but your sheet metal will come out all bent up and ugly afterwards. That is, if you manage it at all.

8. Alright. By now, you've noticed how ridiculously over-sized this home-made mounting plate really is, and you're why you're even following my half-baked, shitty explanation. Well, read on! SO! Now you want to cut off the corners. You do not want to dog-ear cut them, but rather, measure in 5/8" by 5/8" at each corner and cut out little squares. For those of you using 1/2" MDF for your deck, you only want to measure in and cut out 3/8" by 3/8" squares from each corner. The result leaves you with a rectangular piece with tabs running the entire length of each side.

9. Now you'll need a small hand-brake or sheet metal crimping tool for this step. It's used for bending small pieces of aluminum siding and soffit. Use it to bend all those tabs in the same direction at a 90° angle. The mounting plate/box is now complete!!!

10. Drill 2 holes into each side of the mounting plate/box and mount it into the deck. Take care to mount it lower than to top or it will be clearly noticeable no matter how much putty, bondo, paint etc. you use to vainly attempt to cover it. It must not be flush, but lower. About 1/8" works for me. Screw it into place, and do your best not to screw through the top-side of your deck. Sharply angled screws are very bad, and only worse if you used 1/2" MDF instead of 3/4". Go slowly here!

11. Figure out where the hole for the stick and the anchoring screws or bolts will go. Drill a small pilot hole into the sheet metal, then open it up using a rotary tool (dremel). Both Sanwa and Happ sticks only need 13/16" to be pushed to their limit in any given direction when top-mounted, but the dust cover will completely hid any mistakes you make. Perfect circles are nice, but difficult to obtain. Just make sure you have enough room, which is 13/16" diameter in all directions. The bolts holes should accommodate your preferred hardware while also keeping the heads of the bolts also lower than the deck. If only by a hair.

12. Make sure your holes are perfect, or damn close, or get ready to make another mounting plate/box before doing this next step!!! Put your hardware into the mounting plate and glass over everything by applying a few layers of Bondo. Take care to keep the joystick hole clean and neat, and above all, 13/16" in diameter. Apply slightly more Bondo than needed in layers and wait for it to harden. This actually goes fairly quick.

13. Sand down all the high spots. Everything should be completely flush to both sight and feel.

14. Paint or wrap with contact paper.

15. Mount your stick from underneath your custom, home-made, and extremely sturdy mounting plate/box. slide it up onto the hardware and tighten it down with nuts or whatever you may have used to modify this technique further.

16. Wire that shit up and play!

pictures

looks like a lot of work, but I guess I'll give it a try.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
But do you have a wooden panel? Because that project is an alternative to routing the mounting area which is understandable as japanese sticks are supposed to be mounted on very thin panels (plastic or metal) and if you route the wood too much it'll break...

drone9

Marked Wolf
since I am building the casing from scratch, I wanted to use wood, yes.
or are there any worthy alternatives?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
drone9 said:
since I am building the casing from scratch, I wanted to use wood, yes.
or are there any worthy alternatives?

It depends on what kind of stick you want to build: if you want a heavy stick that sits on a table and doesn't move go with wood. If you want a lighter stick similar to the old style Neo stick that you put on your lap while playing, go with a plastic enclosure like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/AES/sticks.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/nassivera/AES/sticks2.jpg

but if building things is a pain in the ass for you maybe the best option would be to buy the new hori PS2 stick. It mounts real Sanwa parts and could be adapted to Neo Geo (or anything else) quite easily (I think there's even a PS2-to-Neo adapter):

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~shmups/shmupsforum/viewtopic.php?p=106668#106668

drone9

Marked Wolf
such a replacement would be nice, but coinopexpress
has this $200 minimum order policy, right?