powersupply with dagauss, broken volt adj knob, +5v = 6-7v, can't run 4 games,only 1?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
cab help....

I turn it on and it starts powering up, and then dies down, and then back up and then down....

it's a neo 25

the picture never goes all the way out, but it looses brightness and the speakers make a little pop noise.

I can here the fan in my AW go on and then slow down and speed up and slow down...

the game never restarts and keeps going, but something is wrong

is this a bad powersupply?

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
come on guys! This cab came TODAY!! I want to play it!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Ok, so here's how things look....

I put the atomiswave in there, and goes in and out, but has sound...

then, I put in an old jamma board and cps2...and they play fine, but no sound....

I put the AW back in and got sound, so nothing blew out...

can't anyone help? diagnosis? (sp?)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
Ok, so here's how things look....

I put the atomiswave in there, and goes in and out, but has sound...

then, I put in an old jamma board and cps2...and they play fine, but no sound....

I put the AW back in and got sound, so nothing blew out...

can't anyone help? diagnosis? (sp?)

Power supplies voltage is too low..

Time to break out that new voltage meter..Eric ;)

This old topic of mine..may help out on the meter..

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68531&highlight=Crash+Voltage+Meter

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I am looking at the powersupply and there is a thing that says voltage level and it looks like there's supposed to be a screw in there....but there's nothing in it?

so do you think it was turned all the way down and then the screw fell out?

I have a regular jamma powersupply....

should I just take out the old PSU and put another one in?

this one has a ton of stuff on it though....

Dscf0851.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
I am looking at the powersupply and there is a thing that says voltage level and it looks like there's supposed to be a screw in there....but there's nothing in it?

so do you think it was turned all the way down and then the screw fell out?

I have a regular jamma powersupply....

should I just take out the old PSU and put another one in?

this one has a ton of stuff on it though....

Dscf0851.jpg
NOOOOOOOoo .....That FKN dreaded PS that I hate..

I don't think you can switch power supplies with a standard one...That one has the degauss etc..

I don't have that type PS in my cab..mine comes with a Standard type PS.

Take a look and see if the adjustment is done another way like if it's not adjusted by a Knob.... but by turning something inside that hole..
Like if to use a small key or allen wrench.

It may have just fell back..Your probably going to have to take apart that PS.

I think a member here had a similar problem with this same type PS..
The part to adjust the voltage was broken off.

I was going to send him an old Standard type Power supply to pull the adjuster knob part out of.

If it is broken off don't plug inany boards until you fix it..It could be at a high voltage and blow something out..

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
so I have been messing with the voltage thing...

+5v = 6-7

on the voltage meter...

but +12v gives a 13 reading on the voltage meter??????

is there anywhere that sells these types of powersupplies?

It's a screw hole for the voltage adjust, but it looks like there's NOTHING behind it?

I don't get it....

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
another thing I noticed is, when I tough the metal that holds the cab to the pallat (sp?) I can feel electricity. Like the tonge to the battery feeling....

any idea?

ANYONE!!??? what the hell is wrong with my cab!!!! and how can I take that PSU appart to see if the knob is in there?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
got the powersupply apart....and yeah....

the voltage knob was broken off....

what can I do?

also, why wouldn't this let me play my neo 4 slot with 4 games...

it works perfectly on my mas supernova...

WTF IS GOING ON!!!!

isn't the neo 25 made for 4 slots??

Last edited:
NGT said:
another thing I noticed is, when I tough the metal that holds the cab to the pallat (sp?) I can feel electricity. Like the tonge to the battery feeling....

any idea?

You cab is not grounded.

You are the second guy from these boards, materia is the first, that is having serious problems with a recently purchased cab from Arcade Infinity. It makes me wonder...

Try to contact Arcade Infinity and ask them if they can send you a replacement power supply.

Charles

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Eric..

Do you have a 3 prong plug or a two prong plug..? (AC Plug)coming out of the cab..

You may have to ground the cab to something..

A pipe or..

My candy cab has a two prong plug and I ran a wire from a screw on the back of the cab that is for adding a ground wire..I ran it to the third Ground hole on mu strip board/surge protector.

Some day I'll just put in a 3 prong plug..

Does the adjustment screw spot look like you could put somthing there..like if I was to send you a regular type Power supply..?
To take the knob etc out of..
There is a

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
It's two prong...

could that be the whole problem? as far as the neo 4 slot not playing all 4 games? I thought that was low voltage? If the voltage is between 6 and 7, could something like this happen from my cab not being grounded?

I messed with the powersupply the best I possibly could and I have no clue how to adjust the voltage without the screw thing. I tried everything and that piece is broken...

How hard would it be to put a new adjuster on the powersupply board? I can get to the back side of the thing...could I possible just leave the other one on there and add another one to the bottom to the powersupply pcb? that I could screw to adjust?

Also, how do I ground it?

should there be a loose wire coming off the powersupply?

any idea?

also, there's no way to fix that volt adjuster. It's messed up in the front and the back....

NGT said:
It's two prong...

could that be the whole problem? as far as the neo 4 slot not playing all 4 games? I thought that was low voltage? If the voltage is between 6 and 7, could something like this happen from my cab not being grounded?

I messed with the powersupply the best I possibly could and I have no clue how to adjust the voltage without the screw thing. I tried everything and that piece is broken...

How hard would it be to put a new adjuster on the powersupply board? I can get to the back side of the thing...could I possible just leave the other one on there and add another one to the bottom to the powersupply pcb? that I could screw to adjust?

Also, how do I ground it?

should there be a loose wire coming off the powersupply?

any idea?

also, there's no way to fix that volt adjuster. It's messed up in the front and the back....

It sounds more like your problems are coming from a bad power supply.

As far as I know all Japanese cabinets (at least the candy's) use a two-prog plug. The way I usually see them grounded is that there is a GND black (or green) wire screwed on to a metal frame.

You should also check your isolation transformer, as I would not be surprised that it is also going bad if it is not bad already.

The best solution would be to replace the power supply and the isolation transformer if necessary.

Charles

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
any idea what type of powersupply I have and where I can get another one?

the way this thing is wired up, I don't even know if I can rewire a new psu in it. Worth a shot though...

any ideas?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
any idea what type of powersupply I have and where I can get another one?

the way this thing is wired up, I don't even know if I can rewire a new psu in it. Worth a shot though...

any ideas?

This power supply is a bitch to get ...I have no clue where to get this type..
Maybe someone may no but'I've never seen any place.

Somehow you need to put your own voltage adjuster in..

The only way is to take it apart..see what can be used/created.

Tomorrow I'll open up one of the misc standard type power supplies and take some pics..
Maybe the knob parts can be made to fit..(?)

I don't have an Isolation transformer in my Candy..I don't think you do either...Since I can see the way your monitor plugs in..

If I do have an Isolation transformer in my Candy then it must be on the monitor chassis because I don't see it..I don't even see it on that.. nor does my monitor run through it like it does in my Big Red/Gold/Bam/ Tekken 3..

The monitor in my Candy cab has it's own AC plug...that connects to the AC on the power suppy.

My Candy has a two prong plug...And on the back of the cab is a screw in a square plate/box that you connect a ground wire to running it some ground within your house etc.
Inside the cab there is a wire going to this screw to the ground on the power supply.

Last edited:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
well, here's the psu

Dscf0858.jpg

here's the Degauss, that is NOT EVEN F'N HOOKED UP!!!

Dscf0852.jpg

So....anyone know how I can hook this up to the monitor, or how I can find out if it's not hooked up for a reason?

The monitor is a Toshiba. Do these need this?

What would I look for on the monitor to find out if and where this needs to be hooked up?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
so for the ground, just find a screw on the body and wire it to the ground on the psu? Or is there a specific screw...because there is a metal box on the back of the inside. There is a screw that has 3 green wires coming off of it.

I won't have time again to mess with this until saturday....any advice in the eman time would be appreciated!!!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
looking at the powersupply, the degauss button is only two wires hooked to that unhooked up plug. I don't know if it's even needed.

So, my new question is....

when hooking this up, where do the two wires go?

On the back of the monitor, there is a spot where two wires can hook on. But I don't know if it's the right spot.

If someone can help me hook this switch up, I may be able to get around using this same powersupply.

why would they leave this unhooked...

seriously...there are two wires going to the button and to the plug and they aren't hooked to anything else.....

I am either in luck, or screwed lol....oh wait :(

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
NGT said:
looking at the powersupply, the degauss button is only two wires hooked to that unhooked up plug. I don't know if it's even needed.

So, my new question is....

when hooking this up, where do the two wires go?

On the back of the monitor, there is a spot where two wires can hook on. But I don't know if it's the right spot.

If someone can help me hook this switch up, I may be able to get around using this same powersupply.

why would they leave this unhooked...

seriously...there are two wires going to the button and to the plug and they aren't hooked to anything else.....

I am either in luck, or screwed lol....oh wait :(

I don't have a degauss button or method in my Candy..I have a Toshiba monitor too.
Shoot if it's not hooked up and you can't find anywhere it goes on the monitor then you can change that PSU..

If it's not hooked up then I think It's not need plus I wouldn't mess with it.

Where is the broken adjustment screw location...located in that pic..?

The thing is...if you do swap the PSU try just a temp set-up and don't cut those molex ends off or it'll be (I don't know how) to get them back together..

neo sighting..
http://www.coinopwarehouse.com/

COOPGOLD.bmp

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Do you see an Isolation Transformer anywhere?

The only problem I see :eek: is where the monitor plugs into the Power Supply..
In my Candy it plugs in near the front ON/OFF swith then wires run to the AC on the Power Supply..
I'm pretty sure I could just plug the monitor int a wall socket..(?)

But I'm not sure about yours..
You have to see just where it's running to/through your power supply.

And that part you see on the back of the cab for ground /Take a picture of what you see to be sure..

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I will try and get those pics taken tomarrow night. There is a plug in the way back by the on/off switch where the monitor could plug in.

If I use my other powersupply, I might be able to wire a two prong plug right to that one. I am sure my parts store has them. Looks like I have something to do saturday.

I am going to re-vamp this little f'r and hopefully it will make a difference and I won't break it,lol...

either way, I am not leaving it messed up like this.

there are some weird things wired to the psu though....

like:

ac100v in
fl unit
coin selector
test and service switches

nomatter what, I will have this f'r working this weekend!! :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
All those switches you see on that PS just pull out and hook up outside of the PS..
Test/service..

Ypu may be able to still ise that AC hook up if uou wire it up to the new PS..
That stuff is located on a plate near the front panel of my candy..

Dscf0851.jpg

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
If you intend to replace the psu I would get a standard Peter Choi type arcade psu and simply wire the 110ac in and +/- 5 and 12 volts dc outs, will be easy to figure which wires connect to the jamma/mvs edge connect.

Leave the existing psu module casing in there, with the test, service and degauss switches.
(you only realy need the degauss if you intend moving the cab around with the monitor still warm, otherwise the monitor has its own auto degauss on switch on from cold, so thats not really an issue anyway)

The psu may have a dried out electro, but for the sake of $15 is it worth frigging around with.

Are you sure you dont have a problem with the monitor.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
the monitor is beautiful. The games that played on it came out crystal clear.

I have one of these power supplies...it's the one that is often on ebay with the white and green box. It's a regular jamma powersupply.

Dscf0859.jpg

so I don't need the Degauss button anyways?

There's a lot of wiring in that PSU now....I am not sure how I will hook it up. the wires from some of the molex stuff goes straight to the psu board. So, if I go for it, I will have to sut them all off.

I may need some step by step with the wiring if anyone is around saturday...but I will give it a go.