KOF94 Remake Confirmed & NeoGeo CD controllers being released for the PS2

JC10001

Zero's Secretary
From Gamespot (sorry if old, this is the first I've heard of an actual confirmation plus the controllers are new):

King of Fighters '94 remake coming

The game that started the fighting series will be hitting an unannounced home console in Japan at the end of the year.

TOKYO--A King of Fighters '94 remake will be released on a home console within the year, according to the series' 10th-anniversary promotional Web site. The news came as SNK Playmore announced a new campaign where it will randomly give away figurines of KOF characters to people who purchase three KOF games that will be released in 2004. One of the three games listed is the aforementioned remake, due in December.

King of Fighters '94 is the only KOF title that hasn't been ported to a home console other than the NeoGeo AES. The KOF '94 remake will most likely be released on the PlayStation 2, considering that the game will be on DVD, and because the other two KOF games are also for the PS2.

The other two games in the promotion are: KOF: Maximum Impact (PS2), which was released just today; and the PS2 port of KOF 2003, which will be released on October 28 for 7,140 yen ($64). From February 1 to the end of March, players can send in three proof-of-purchase labels from the three games’ manuals to SNK Playmore. The figurines that will be given away are special-edition Pinky Street figures of Mai Shiranui and Athena Asamiya from the KOF series. Lucky winners will receive one of the two KOF Pinky Street figures in May.

Addtionally, SNK Playmore is now dropping hints that it will release a reproduction of the NeoGeo CD controller pad, most likely as a bonus for the KOF '94 remake. GameSpot will provide more information as it becomes available.

By Hirohiko Niizumi -- GameSpot
POSTED: 08/12/04 01:15 PM PST

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Beutifull. Hope it will be a quality upgrade and I hope to god that P nixes the old joystick from the CD controller and puts the one from the neo geo pocket (just made a bit bigger) in it's place. That would be THE BEST, MOST RESPONSIVE controller designed.

CountMetal

n00b
KOF 94 Remake

Looks like this will be an awesome game. They should just put all the KOF Games from 94 to 99 in one disc as a compilation or make it into a huge fighting game and outfits from the previous KOF Games. Also I would like to see in this game is whether the fighters lose their shirts (ie. King) after a special move was performed when the opponent is defeated.

Curt

apostate
The NGCD pad, is damn cool, and would love using that pad on other games... just not fighters...

If they bundled it with KOF94, I wouldn't understand it, as that Pad isn't that great for fighters...

When playing a Metal Slug Game thoug, It's my control of choice...

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
Wow. I don't give a crap about the possible Neo CD pad release, but 94 is unquestionably my all time favorite KOF. I bought it at release on the home system, and I'll be sure to pick up this re-release. One of the best KOF soundtracks ever, some of the best backgrounds ever, and overall one of the greatest SNK games of all time. What a great idea.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
'94 is a cool game and all, but I don't quite understand the rationale behind a rerelease. If they're not too lazy to overhaul it (which I seriously doubt at this point), then I guess it could be worthwhile. I'm thinking that this one won't sell too many copies at all.

As for the NGCD pad .... why? WHY??!! It's ok for some action games (slug, shooters, etc.), but is totaly $hyte for fighters. Why not just get a decent arcade stick and use it for everything?

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
If this is released for the PS2, then I doubt that we will ever see a US release, given SCEA's attitude toward 2-D games on the PS2.

Average Joe #2

Crazed MVS Addict
Wow... that's unexpected and really fucking cool.

Shame that it couldn't happen on the Neo... but I'm honestly not complaining.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
msu89dawgs said:
If this is released for the PS2, then I doubt that we will ever see a US release, given SCEA's attitude toward 2-D games on the PS2.
Well then fuck SCEA. I will import, and everyone else knows they will do the same.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
Average Joe #2 said:
Wow... that's unexpected and really fucking cool.

Shame that it couldn't happen on the Neo... but I'm honestly not complaining.

?????

it did, 10 years ago.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
daybona said:
If it has 3-d backgrounds I'm gonna vomit.

Why?
Evo's backrounds were absolutely mindblowing works of art. they were like 2-d backrounds with 3-d movement when walking side to side. better than half ass kof 2001 shit.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
If they update the sprites and let you select characters from different teams the game might actually be worth playing.

Here's hoping.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
JHendrix said:
If they update the sprites and let you select characters from different teams the game might actually be worth playing.

Here's hoping.

and tweak the engine.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
stop complaining about kof94 you asshats

its perfect

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
kernow said:
stop complaining about kof94 you asshats

its perfect

yep full bar combos against players with perfect execution will be a fun way to waste 50 yen :)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
What exactly are they remaking? I hope it's sprites, music, and at the very least, fix that heavyass damage scaling.

btw - only thing keeping KOF94 from being perfect is team edit and damage. Fix those things and it'll no doubt be the best KOF.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Sorry, if I can't break Kim away from Chang and Choi, I will just continue to play KOF 95.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Damn straight.

I still fucking love '94, and other than needing team edit and some damage tweakin, it already is still an amazing fighting game. Still has some of the best music and backgrounds of any Neo fighter.

KoF'94>all other KoFs, except '98.