KOF:MI game impressions

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Ok I just got done playing my copy for an hour, heres my impressions so far.

Graphics- The graphics are nice. The backgrounds are little bare and the characters arn't as detailed as they could be but overall everything looks pretty good. All the original costumes really feel like their 2d counterparts. The second costumes are insane and for the most part too stupid to play with.

Gameplay- Every character has a ton of moves. Basically everything is pretty run of the mill. You have a super gauge that goes up to three. Supers take 1-3 bars depending on how strong they are. Also counters and escapes take off one bar.

A new characteristic is the combos. Almost everything cancels. So its really easy to 2 in one anything. Each character now has pre set chain combos of 4-5 hits, it looks ok, I havent really messed around with it yet. You can also hit people off the ground for quite a bit of damage.

Another strange thing is how FAST the game is, its like playing street fighter ex on speed.

There is now 3d movement, plus the ability to roll back and forth. I've just started so I have no idea how useful these are.

Sound- Alright, I think I've been spoiled by Guilty Gear Reloaded and Isuka.

Overall the game is great. I have the same exact feeling I had when I first started playing street fighter ex. It's wonderful to see all the characters get a good 3d treatment but the new characters and some of the gameplay seems suspect.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
RBjakeSpecial said:
Each character now has pre set chain combos of 4-5 hits, it looks ok, I havent really messed around with it yet.
Sounds like Real Bout series/Wild Ambition. Cool.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
You unlock more colors, backgrounds, characters and "stuff" (tattoos, hats, boots, etc) through Mission Mode. Some missions require you finish the game with certain characters first.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Dio_Brando said:
You unlock more colors, backgrounds, characters and "stuff" (tattoos, hats, boots, etc) through Mission Mode. Some missions require you finish the game with certain characters first.

So a less complicated sort of "quest mode". Thats what I wanted to hear.

Faster KOF = Not boring.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
again, any idea of who are those hidden/unlockable characters and bosses?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
The second costumes are "for the most part too stupid to play with?" HUH?? The majority of the alternate outfits are really cool and make some of the characters look extremely different than their original designs; it's great to see the developers taking advantage of this instead of just giving us alternate colors (which are also available). I especially like the (original) alternate costumes for Iori, Mai, K', and Leona. A lot of the costumes are also from other games, such as Terry (Garou MOTW), Ryo (Buriki-One), Kyo (old schoolboy outfit), and Ralf. I saw some screens on SNK-Capcom.com's forums that had some interesting unlockable textures, too...Rock had Kaede's (Last Blade) costume, and Ryo had Haohmaru's outfit, which makes sense given that both characters share the same voice actor IIRC. :)

This game is pretty damn fun (although a bit more mashtastic compared to other KOF games) so far; I want to do a write up on it, but I'm going to hold off until I've played more and unlocked some stuff. Definitely a great first effort from Playmore; MI is leagues ahead of all the Hyper Neo games...

Sectus

n00b
Right, I just returned from playing the game a bit. I didn't play it a lot, so I can't comment the gameplay too greatly, but I'll try to be as detailed as possible about things. This is the Japanese import I played (well, obviously. the English version isn't out yet)

I wished they had another intro, but the intro in the game is identical to one of those trailers except by the end of it there's lots of cards flying around showing all the fighters. The intro also shows a short glimpse of a person who's probably the end boss. And yes, when the intro is over we see the logo... and... K O F, MAXIMUM IMPACT! Yeah, I *DESPISE* that announcer voice. Everytime I hear I feel like screaming. It sounds really *really* horrible. We don't hear him that often, just for "round 1, fight, "ko" and stuff like that, but he sounds simply horrible anyway.

The menus in the game looks pretty with fancy animations each time you select something. But having just played games like Tekken 4 and Soul Calibur 2 it does feel very limited, I doubt this game has any much to unlock. There's one option for Profiles, which has a ton of subchoices which are locked. Logically I'd assume that each suboption is profile for each of the characters, but there's a *ton* of these profiles, a lot more than there are characters. Why's that? Is there two profiles for each character just for their different outfits? Profiles for other KoF characters not in the game? At first I was trying to think optimistic and have a slight hope there's a good deal of unlockables characters, but in the character selection screen there's only one box with question mark. Which is probably the endboss you can unlock. I'm afraid that's the only unlockable character.

The game has a surprising amount of English even though it's the Japanese release. All the menus are in English except some descriptions which are in Japanese, but that hardly makes any difference, I doubt anyone needs explanation what the option "Sound Volume" is all about. So you don't need any Japanese knowledge to be able to enjoy the Japanese version of the game. Well, perhaps except for Mission mode, where each mission is explained in Japanese, and I got a feeling those descriptions would help. All the babbling in the story mode is in Japanese as well, but that's not exactly any big surprise.

There was no options for team play on the main screen which really worried me. But fortunately once you click on VS you get four choices: single play, single vs, team play and team vs. So it's there. The menus have one really annoying thing about them. You can't go back from all of them. If you just decided to be curious and check out which mission you're at, then you'd have to select Mission mode, and you get the information you need, fair enough. But then you can't just click a button to go back to the main menu. To do that, you'll need to select a mission, select a character and then load the match, and then press start and select exit. Why the heck didn't they just let the player press one button to go back one menu like a normal game? This is nitpicking though, so it doesn't really matter.

As I mentioned, the character screen only has one box with a question mark in it. So I don't think there's any more than one unlockable character. But, the method you use for selecting different outfits is like in Dead or Alive where you select a character and then you get the list of outfits you can use. With this interface they could easily add more outfits without messing up the interface (*cough*Tekken 4*cough*), and I heard rumours about someone seeing Kim in the game. So I'll bet that you can select Chae Lim and select Kim as an "alternate custome" later on in the game.

The game definitely feels like a KoF game, even if you just move your character a bit you see it's the same system. It does look faster, but I don't think it's technically any faster, there's no longer any short "pause" when you hit someone with a move and this may just make the game look a bit faster. The controls are designed for a 4-button controller in mind. So if you've magically destroyed every button on your controller except the directional buttons and 4 others, then you're in luck. Or, if you're like me and use an arcade stick with few buttons, then you're in luck too. This is a bit unfriendly for the players with the normal PS2 pad though, they could easily have simplified the controls by letting the player use R2 and L2 for sidestepping, but instead you have to press LP+LK (which you can also map to any button) to sidestep upwards, but you'll have to press down while doing this to sidestep downwards. It does get a time to get used to, and I feel they could have simplified it for those have more buttons to spare, but ah well.

I also noticed the game is a bit friendly for pressing two buttons at one time. If you go to practice mode and press LK+LP with a slightly delay on the second button, you'll see it actually gets accepted as LK+LP instead of LK->LP. Which is a good thing, since I've had trouble in some fighting games to do certain moves where you have to press two buttons on the same time, but sometimes I'd mess up slightly and it'd end up wrong. This game seems to be more friendly about that. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be any shortcuts to any of the movements. For instance, I can remember just being required to input dwn->bk->fwd to do Kim's DM, but in this game you have to input the whole thing dwn->dwn+bk->bk->bk+dwn->fwd, that's a pain in the ass to do, well, for me anyway.

Visually the game looks pretty great. The surroundings may look bland but the characters looks really good. Some of them may look a bit odd compared to their 2D versions, but the characters looks way better than I'd imagine. And the animations are smoooooth. They're really *really* smooth. Just about every move looks identical to their 2D version just a billion times smoother. There's certain moves which may look a bit simple and it looks like they just made a simple interpolation to make it smooth but otherwise the moves looks great. I think they could have done a better job with some of the moves (I miss Yuri's arm motion after her SDM), but they look great overall. And I just simply can't find enough words to explain how smooth all the moves really look.

Every character seems to have been given a few short quick moves they can do for a 2-3 hit combo. Like Mai can now press fwd->strongpunch three times in a row to do a quick combo. Each character has very similar things they can do and most of them has 2 of these combos. It does add a bit of Tekken feel with this kind of stuff. Sidestepping is really slow, and I was only able to avoid one attack with it, otherwise I got hit each time I tried to avoid by sidestepping. And sidestepping is basically the only 3D element in the game, otherwise the game feels like pure 2D. You can kick an opponent into the wall and he'll come flying back ala KoF2001 and this happened each time as well. It gave me the impression you could do some nasty combos with this, but after I hit the opponent after being thrown into the wall the combo counter didn't increase, so there's a chance the opponent has a chance to block after this. I wasn't able to confirm this yet.

The game seemed to have a bit of slowdown in some of the special moves. But this was just barely noticable and nothing major. The music is really really dull. Of what I've heard so far it seems to be a dull mix of hip-hip, jazz and other stuff. It's at least a lot better than the music in KOF'2001, but I think I might as well turn the music off if there's an option for it. All the characters seems to still have their right voice actors. Terry is still unable to pronounce any English phrase.

Right, I think that's just about it. I know I didn't write any much about the gameplay, but I haven't the played the game much more than a half hour and the stupid AI kicked my ass even on the normal difficulty -.-

Sectus

n00b
Some more notes:

I was mistaken about the profiles screen. There is an equal amount of characters as there are locked boxes. Also, I have no freaking idea how to do a SDM >.< . The command list says doing the input then pressing SP+SK, but I only get the normal version. Perhaps my health needs to be at red?

There's no close normals any more. A LK attack is the same no matter what distance you are. But each character seems to have been given a good deal of new command attacks. I really do get the feeling the developers were inspired by games like Soul Calibur and Tekken when it comes to adding command attacks. I don't mind though, as long as it's balanced then it just opens for more variety, which definitely isn't bad.

Each character outfit has an alternative colour scheme you can select by pressing up/down while selecting outfit. This means two players can play the same character with the same outfit. You can do a similar thing at the stage select screen too, when selecting stages you can press left/right to select different versions of the stages. Night, day, stuff like that. There seems to be 3 extra stages one can unlock in the game.

The animations are still unbelievably smooth.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I was mistaken about the profiles screen. There is an equal amount of characters as there are locked boxes. Also, I have no freaking idea how to do a SDM >.< . The command list says doing the input then pressing SP+SK, but I only get the normal version. Perhaps my health needs to be at red?

Apparently, there's only one level of power for Supers, so they're stuck at either 1, 2, or 3 depending on how they're done in the game. For example, Ryo's counter punch super is lvl 3 only.

Sectus

n00b
Fygee said:
Apparently, there's only one level of power for Supers, so they're stuck at either 1, 2, or 3 depending on how they're done in the game. For example, Ryo's counter punch super is lvl 3 only.
But according to the command list certain dm's can be done at different levels. Like Yuri's qcf+hcb was mentioned twice, once with LK or SK and the second time with SP+SK. But no matter what I did I wasn't able to execute it. So either there has be some certain conditions which needs to be met (like perhaps having very low health) or I'm just really really bad at inputting these commands :p

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Sounds pretty interesting, I will get my copy tomorrow.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
BTW, you can map "sidestep left" and "sidestep right" to any buttons you want to, :)

The game works great with a PS2 pad, being only four buttons. I don't have a problem just using lp and lk together for rolling right and left and stepping up and down myself...

Sectus

n00b
Lyte Edge said:
BTW, you can map "sidestep left" and "sidestep right" to any buttons you want to, :)

The game works great with a PS2 pad, being only four buttons. I don't have a problem just using lp and lk together for rolling right and left and stepping up and down myself...
Yeah, I just realized that's possible, have no idea how I missed that option in the first place -.-

I've been playing the game more and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The more I get into the more I realize it's pretty different from your usual KoF, and that's mainly because of those short combos you can do. With those you can easily combo into just about any special more or dm. I'm still a beginner with the game but I figured out the AI is pretty easy to beat once you find a few combos which work really well, then you can just repeat and repeat and repeat. Hopefully, playing against human opponents will be more balanced and varied.

The AI has 7 ranges of difficulty, from coward to maniac. Unfortunately the difference isn't that huge. I tried once by first trying coward then going straight up to maniac. The differen't wasn't that much. It's definitely noticable, but the AI isn't all that great on maniac as I'd hoped. Overall the AI isn't bad, it can perform some pretty insane combos, but it's something you'd get pretty bored of fast I imagine. By the way, does anyone know if the difficulty affects the Mission mode?

Once you complete the game with any character you unlock the profile for that character. And from there you can choose between alternate versions of his/her costumes. It's a nice feature, but it's a pain the ass to manage. Once you've changed to the alternate versions then you're stuck with those until you go back to the profile screen and change. Why didn't they just let the player choose this at the character selection screen? The feature is better than nothing though, not many beat'em'ups has that many costumes and colour selections as this game.

I really hope the game sells well, even though it's not exactly the greatest of all games, and I have played more fun KoF games in the past it's still really nice to see something really new be done with KoF. And they'd have a great chance to make the game better if they get to make a sequel.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
my two cents.

this is a ps2 game. its not an arcade game, it isnt very deep it would seem with a juggle wall system like tekken tag (chain combo->bounce porperty special->bounce off wall into rush super) for big damage.

most moves are intact but feel and react very differently than their 2d counterparts.

the graphics are quite nice (the environmental damage on a wire fence in the car park comes to mind.

but in the end it's basically a fun home versus game, nothing to get into to deeply it wouldnt seem.

i like it but it reeks of ps2 user base sell out....

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Tekken 4 had the wall system.

Nothing more to add other than I can't wait to play this.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
SonGohan said:
Tekken 4 had the wall system.

Nothing more to add other than I can't wait to play this.

yeah i know... ambiguous statement i my part, i meant the juggle part :)

an example is you do a dp with ryo then get a second hit with a c.HK. float forever, a crouching tap d.HP with ryo launches and if you do a heavy qcb+HK the second hit will hit though the first one wont sometimes despite the time it takes indicating the float time on this game, there should be lots of cool juggles and wall combos i think.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Got done playing the game for a couple of hours, talk about an adjustment.

It's like the bastard child of KOF and Tekken, in a somewhat of a good way.

There's tons of combos in this because of the chain combos into normals/supers. Then when you throw in the wall combos and you've got some crazy things going on. Add to that the fact that you can re-launch grounded characters under certain circumstances (depends on which move you used to knock them down). I've already done a few combos with Rock and Chae Lim that are pretty insane damage wise, especially Chae Lim it's like 98%.

Graphics and Sound are great. We're talking Tekken 4 quality visuals and the music is great. The AI is pretty weak as I blasted through the single player in a few minutes. I love the unlockable accessories you can get for each character.

Back to the gameplay, it has its own nuances, but for a KOF vet it's almost too simple. It's a fun game to play some 2P in, I was lucky enough to have one of my friends stop by when I just got the game and we went back and forth for a while. It's really a long stretch from your average KOF play and pacing wise. Not that it's too slow, in fact it's amazingly fast. But the pacing is very different from what you're used to. It has Tekken style tap combos and KOF style canceling, very wierd but also interesting.

For example, heres a really simple Rock corner combo that does a LOT of damage.

s.C, s.D, cancel into D Shine Knuckle, Rising Tackle, Raging Storm, Fireball (C).

Here's the Chae Lim one:

s.D, s.D, QCB, HCF+ ABCD, charge Down-Up+K, Down Down+ Kick.

Just kind of boggles the mind don't it? It feels like MvC2 since there is so much that combos together it's near madness, but at the same time it kind of balances itself out.

Anyway, Beelze has got it completely right. It's fun, but as a KOF player it's very scarry. This is going to sound wierd coming from me, but this feels a lot like SNKP selling out to the PS2 market that ate up games like Tekken and Soul Calibur. It's got the graphics and it's very easy to mash buttons and get good looking combos. Add a tiny bit of skill to cancel supers from said combos (which is easier to do than in SF3), and you've got fighting game n00bs doing things that look extra nice on screen. A lot like MvC2 really.

This is both good and bad because on the good side it brings more people in, but on the bad side if this kind of thing does well and SNKP keeps putting out the regular KOF games and continues to have them look like crap on Atomiswave, and it won't take long for them to realize which one is going to sell loads more.

Don't get me wrong KOF:MI is lots of fun, but this does not replicate the gameplay of a 2D KOF, and it does not seem to innovate in a way that is better than a 2D KOF. I'm going to sit down tommorrow with some more of my friends and put it through some serious comp play. I can see a shimmer of hope for this being competitive, but I highly doubt it. It's still good fun and definitely is a nice break from the old 2D KOF's we've played for friggin years, but it isn't the replacement I was hoping for.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Well, from what I can tell, it looks like what I thought it would be: mainstream KOF.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. With any luck, it'll attract newbies to the good old KOF, and create a wider audience that this series so desperately needs.

I would also figure that this will open up a big door for a sequel, which may serve as the "hardcore" rendition that the traditional skilled KOF fans would appreciate.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
Don't get me wrong KOF:MI is lots of fun, but this does not replicate the gameplay of a 2D KOF, and it does not seem to innovate in a way that is better than a 2D KOF.
Never thought I'd live to hear this... >sniff< (wipes tear)

Everything does sound somewhat optimistic, though, and I still can't wait to play it some more... Just as I think Playmore's 2D games improved as time went along, I think we can expect to see a jump in quality with future 3D releases.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
The DVD pack in with the game is ok, It features interviews with the Producer, Director and Falcoon. There is a game system explanation, a story section, a slide show featuring a lot of falcoons design art for the new characters, and a little bit on the 10th anniversary of KOF. Overall not too exciting, and if you don't get it your not missing anything.

Lyte Edge- Youre right a lot of the new outfits are cool. The other night I only really played with Rock's new outfit which made me wanna puke.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Ok I spent a few hours tonight in VS. mode with a good friend. It's definitely not as bad competitively as I thought. There seems to be a few instances where there could be future problems, but generall it seems pretty good balance wise. A lot of the bigger combos I found abusive aren't really possible since your opponents can safe fall and get out of a lot of the juggles.

When you get this game, learn the safe fall and make sure you can do it consistantly. Also you generally don't seem to get up on your own for a long time unless you make your character get up. It forces you to be very active the entire time.

I'm going to get a lot of play time in tommorrow and I'll post more then. Hopefully by Monday I'll capture some things in the game to give you guys an idea as to what these combos look like.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Could someone who owns the bonus DVD capture and post a picture of Falcoon from his interview? I've always wondered what he looked like.