Universe Bios splash screen

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
I have been asked a few times about changing the Universe Bios splash screen (the one pictured below) or the Red color used in the NeoGeo logo etc. I am up for doing this if someone can design something better or change the colors to something better suited. Remember however that you cant simply draw anything as your limited the the 8x8 tiles that come with every game (mainly ascii only and 8x8 solid blocks). One thing is certin though, the 'SNK forever' text must stay. If you can do something you think is better (even is its just color changes) then please post it to this thread.

Raz

splash.png

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I think it'd be cool to make it look as much like the boot screen as possible.

White Neo Geo
Universe Bios V2.0
By Razoola also in White

then blue SNK then the forever part centered under SNK

thoughts added :D

I'm not one to know what I'm doing programming wise though so maybe I'll photoshop something and leave someone else to making it implement-able (is that a word?)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
photoshoping or simply editing the image in my post above is fine to give me an Idea.

Raz

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Razoola said:
photoshoping or simply editing the image in my post above is fine to give me an Idea.

Raz

Done :)

Here's my idea.
newsplash.jpg

I didn't really bother matching the fonts on the wording is the only thing, and I'm not sure if the point in 2.0 should get an underline or not ;)

Edit: oops left out the region/mode bit :emb:

Also a question I don't have a unibios (yet) does it go to the regular neo boot screen after or is this screen replace the regular one?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
lithy said:
Also a question I don't have a unibios (yet) does it go to the regular neo boot screen after or is this screen replace the regular one?

Yes it does to the normal one after, there is about a second delay between the unibios splash screen disapeering and the standard neogeo spinning logo starting.

Raz

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Razoola said:
Yes it does to the normal one after, there is about a second delay between the unibios splash screen disapeering and the standard neogeo spinning logo starting.

Raz

Oh ok, then maybe I'll scratch my idea, if the two screens look the same :p I dunno, I'll see what others come up with :)

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Here is another one I quickly knocked up.

splash-diff.png

Raz

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I was thinkin something like this (like the AES spines)
unilogo1.jpg

omnedon

Astra Superstar
I'm as big a fan of the Uni BIOS as you will find (I'm a debug BIOS convert), and this is a great idea. I liked that the earleir splash screen was distinctive, but a change in colour scheme, to something a bit more 'Neo original' would be an improvement IMO.

I really like the clean one Raz 'knocked up'. It's seems organized.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
splash-bb.png

I did'nt do a neat job,thisis just an idea so I chose the white red to symbolize a mode that it is capable of operating in and I have the black and gold to represent home console.
i removed the green because it's not good on the eyes..
This scheme I believe symbolizes univeral,covering both formats and left simple enough..
-BB

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
splash-bb.png

I did'nt do a neat job,thisis just an idea so I chose the white red to symbolize a mode that it is capable of operating in and I have the black and gold to represent home console.
i removed the green because it's not good on the eyes..
This scheme I believe symbolizes univeral,covering both formats and left simple enough..
-BB

Very interesting idea :)

Or is it possible to have the logo in all gold with black background if the Mode is Home and boot with red backgound white logo if its arcade mode, that might be interesting :)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I agree with sgt fox - and think that this would be the way to go. Simple, clean, and effective. :)

bios.png

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
I have done some recoding and this is how the splash screen and more stands at present (screen grab from emulation).

splash-new.png

menu-new.png

Comments please, Raz

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Raz there should be an Apostrophe in "Razoolas" so it would look like "Razoola's" (unless there are more than one of you... given how awesome your BIOS is it would explain a lot!).

I didn't see anything bad about the old splash screen but the new ones aren't bad at all.

Now to decide if I can live without the unibios for a week when I send in my chip for an upgrade...

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Razoola said:
I have done some recoding and this is how the splash screen and more stands at present (screen grab from emulation).

Comments please, Raz

Absolutely perfect. I like it a lot better than the red.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
DanAdamKOF said:
Raz there should be an Apostrophe in "Razoolas" so it would look like "Razoola's" (unless there are more than one of you... given how awesome your BIOS is it would explain a lot!).

Yes I know, the problem is that if I add the apostrophe then it no longer centers on the screen as the ascii is locked on 8x8 boundries.

I think the current new splash screen is better than the old one and as we are going from 1.3 to 2.0 a change on this screen seems fitting. I'm still open to other ideas and changes though to this screen (or others).

Raz

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Razoola said:
Yes I know, the problem is that if I add the apostrophe then it no longer centers on the screen as the ascii is locked on 8x8 boundries.

I think the current new splash screen is better than the old one and as we are going from 1.3 to 2.0 a change on this screen seems fitting. I'm still open to other ideas and changes though to this screen (or others).

Raz
Makes perfect sense, Raz. I really like the new screens a lot.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Is there a list of features/fixes in for 2.0 yet?

Theres two gods on this earth, two idols of mine, both are coders from finland.

I was just going to order a 1.3 too

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Im thinking of maybe putting a little animation into the screen also, maybe something like a sparcle effect on the 'Forever' text by hilighting the top half of each letter in a serial manner. I could also maybe do something like as the screen fades in make the NeoGeo logo zoom in from an initially smaller size and then one fully faded in add the 'Razoolas' ans 'universe bios' text.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
kernow said:
Is there a list of features/fixes in for 2.0 yet?

Theres two gods on this earth, two idols of mine, both are coders from finland.

I was just going to order a 1.3 too

At the moment its a little like this...

Code:
New in version 2.0
------------------
IMPORTANT.
  This release will totally reset the MVS backup memory. This means UNIVERSE BIOS settings,
  SoftDIPs, and game settings will be lost. This will also happen when upgrading from a
  previous version. You will need to enter initial soft dip settings again. Multislot users
  will need to set the 'game select' softDIP to free if you wish to allow game swapping
  before entering credits. Regions stored on memory cards (AES users) will also be lost
  until set up again but saved game data will not be lost.

Samurai Shodown 5 Special related stuff.
  Added a cheat to unlock fatalities which were censored out of the AES original cart.
  Added other 11 cheats to the database for the game.
  Added CRC info into the CRC database (for the original AES cart only so far).
  Fixed the red NeoGeo unibios logo (was not centered) when this game used.
  Fixed sound in the Jukebox if accessed from poweron.
  Removed the protection stoping the game from running in Arcade mode on AES hardware.

Added code to fully reset backup RAM when a MVS system is run for the first time with the
  UNIVERSE BIOS installed. This is to ensure correct SoftDIP compatability is maintained.
Added A Poke Memory option from the In game menu.
Exiting the ingame menu is now done by pressing button C.
Added crc for a new found 2020 super baseball version.
Added cheat to enable '4way battle mode' in Kizuna Encounter.
Added a reboot option from the exception error screen.
Improved the splash screen.
Improved the multislot game changing screen.
Improved the Jukebox sound initilize routine. This results in the 'error starting sound'
  mesage showing less when entering the jukebox, espicially with some of the older games.
Disabling the startup hardware test now also skips the callender test.
You will now see a Blue sreen on AES hardware if you power on the unit with no game in.
Fixed an Addres Error that only affected SLOT2 hardware after the unibios splash screen
  if the 'bootup HW test' was disabled from the unibios general settings.
Fixed the rogue green pixel strips that appeared on screen momentarily during the fade
  in and out of the splash screen (mainly visable on AES hardware only).
Fixed a possible language soft dip display issue with Rage of the Dragons.
Fixed Rage of the Dragons 1up infinite energy cheat from locking up the game at the
  end of a round if game timer runs down to zero.
Fixed a small issue that could make some softdips become messed on multislot hardware
  for games not in slot1 (mslug3 and kof2001 for example).
Fixed an issue that affected soft dips in 'Street Hoop' when in Japan region. While its
  not perfect its still far better than it was (dips are now correctly named).
Fixed an issue that affected soft dips in 'Samurai Shodown 4' & 'Samurai Shodown 5' when
  in Japan region (in relation to the blood setting). While not perfect you can now turn
  on Blood far easier than before.
Fixed the force AES option (shows when system has a hardware fault) so it sets up a region
  of 'Europe' and mode of 'console' if good region data is not found.
Removed the 'game select' softdip remembering code added in v1.3 because it never worked.

There is more also but these still need testing so Its not in the list.

Raz