Why buying NGHomesystems ? MVS is better...

TOMDENK

n00b
..and cheaper.

You can get games from $20-$??
( I got Shock Troopers 2 MVS for $110
ST2-Home : $300+, Need Samurai Shodown 2 ?
MVS : $20.. Home : $90-100
Metal Slug 1 MVS : $60-80 Home : Noway...)

Ok there are no boxes... ( I think every collector likes the SNK-Boxes & the great art on it. )

But on the Homesystem theres "no blood" ( only white or green "sweat" )
- Check the Homecarts from : ShockT. 1+2, Sam1+2+3+4, Metal Slugs..etc.

- you need the expensive jap. Chip for it..
so you can switch from US to jap..

Why do you buy the Homesystem ?
( I sold mine ... for MVS )

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Its all a matter of preference. I own a home cart & a Mvs cab. Ive had my HC system for about 10 years now & I like it better. I have svideo/debug/stereo and I love the old style joysticks. Cant really explain it, but after paying high cart prices for 10years you get used to it. Also the mvs system was always more expensive until the last year or two. Now if I was starting from scratch it would be mvs all the way. However, i'm not starting from scratch & allready have a nice amount of home carts.
-nick_th_fury

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I agree that MVS systems make a lot of sense, especially nowadays. You can get a 1-slot MVS board for around 150 or so, a SuperGun or HGA system for $300, and you're ready to go. MVS carts ARE cheap, you're quite right about Metal Slug MVS vs. home. I picked up a home system when it first hit the U.S. in 1990, and have had it ever since. I did just recently have it modded for s-video, stereo, and debug, and it works great. However, I also have quite a few MVS carts, and will (sooner or later) pick up an MVS cabinet and also probably a HGA/MVS 1-slot setup.

Starting today, I would buy MVS all the way, its just so much cheaper. But like nick_th_fury, I have a nice home cart collection and like it a lot.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

wjw123

Krauser's Henchman
Originally posted by TOMDENK:
..and cheaper.

You can get games from $20-$??
( I got Shock Troopers 2 MVS for $110
ST2-Home : $300+, Need Samurai Shodown 2 ?
MVS : $20.. Home : $90-100
Metal Slug 1 MVS : $60-80 Home : Noway...)

Ok there are no boxes... ( I think every collector likes the SNK-Boxes & the great art on it. )

But on the Homesystem theres "no blood" ( only white or green "sweat" )
- Check the Homecarts from : ShockT. 1+2, Sam1+2+3+4, Metal Slugs..etc.

- you need the expensive jap. Chip for it..
so you can switch from US to jap..

Why do you buy the Homesystem ?
( I sold mine ... for MVS )

To each thier own. Some Cart like Breaker Revenge are not on home cart, correct me if I'm wrong. Of course, MVS does not have all the options available in the home cart such as easy, normal, MVS, Hardest, or training modes.

As for the blood, mods are available.

I love my home cart regreting giving it up 5 years ago. Now I collecting it again buying both Home and MVS carts - It's just fun to play and really doesn't matter which one you get.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Were I starting out from "ground zero" in the Neo-Geo scene, (so to speak) I'd probably opt out for an all-MVS cartridge solution. However, I've been collecting home system Neo-Geo cartridges for quite some time now, therefore I don't have to be bothered with tracking down most of the "rare" titles via the aftermarket.

I also own a MAS SuperNOVA with a 2-slot MVS board for playing all the "MVS only" Neo-Geo titles. As it has been stated countless times by others, for the pure gamer, MVS is the way to go (more easily available, cheaper, etc). But, if you're looking for a little more "flash" in the form of box art and manuals, home cart is the format of choice. In the end, the format of your games doesn't really matter, so long as you enjoy playing them.

Innovator

Cheng's Errand Boy
If you wanna collect every game ever made then it's best to to have the MVS. As already known, alot of hard to find home carts are dirt cheap and easy to find on MVS. You'll always have good sticks and buttons because they're easily replaced. And the MVS can used to make money because it is an arcade machine.

However, if want to play new games relatively cheaply then Home System is (was?) the way to go. I know I don't wanna wait 2 years for KOF'2000 to be affordable. A Home system is also more portable and you do cool things to it like debug mods (which all cart system owners should have) and help you get the most out of your carts. You can't imagine the coolness when you find a decapitated Genjuro sprite in debugged SS3.

I once thought about how I made a mistake and didn't buy an MVS, but now appreciate my AES more because of the little things like boxes and instruction books. Damn, I love my Neo Geo. Well, I'm starting to get emotional, gotta go!

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I won a Neo Geo Home system, and soon will have the MVS converter (plays up to 98). If any one gets the MVS converter that Arcade (hopefully assuming that everything went well) is talking about, then he can have both of the world. It's definitley, a personal preference, but for me it's the way to go.