why buying neo geo games on ebay sucks

thelastbogard

New Challenger
10.00 shipping. thats why! ebay sellers are fuckin gougers. any mvs game on the site is almost a garunteed 10.00 forget that priorty mail is 3.95 for anything that fits in those big boxes they give you for free.

Sorry had to vent.

M

materia

I would rather pay more at neo store just for the added security :) :smirk:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Dealing with 75% of the dipshit sellers on e-bay is a total waste of time. These lazy fucks can't even find the time to reply to a simple e-mail, and if they don't like the price that their item was sold for ... they just act like the auction never happened. Ebay is like the fucking wild west or something - no accountability whatsoever.

SNZero

Mr. Big's Thug
Most people seem to use Ebay to get rid of broken items, they describe the things as 'great condition' or perfect working order and it gets to you broken!!! I mean all that extra P&P u'd think they would buy a little more bubble wrapping. Good sellers on ebay are a rare breed indeed.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
galfordo said:
Dealing with 75% of the dipshit sellers on e-bay is a total waste of time. These lazy fucks can't even find the time to reply to a simple e-mail, and if they don't like the price that their item was sold for ... they just act like the auction never happened. Ebay is like the fucking wild west or something - no accountability whatsoever.

Plus the fact that ebay protects their power-sellers, and doesn't give a shit about the buyers rights!

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No Means Yes said:
Ebay is an invaluable tool for those who use it properly.

Same here, never had a problem on eBay, sure some communication is slow but not everyone is online like some of us.

If you don't like shipping costs don't bid. Simple.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
thelastbogard said:
10.00 shipping. thats why! ebay sellers are fuckin gougers. any mvs game on the site is almost a garunteed 10.00 forget that priorty mail is 3.95 for anything that fits in those big boxes they give you for free.

Sorry had to vent.

Yes,But "$3.85" is just the charge for Priority Mail.. not the cost of the actual weight of the item being shipped...

I pack MVS "cart" in Bubble Wrap/very well packed and it costs me $7-8.00 and I add Delivery Confirmation for free(50 cent/my cost)

It just cost me $5.75 to ship 4 light comic books by Priority Mail to zip 90041..
And I only charged $3.75 shipping...I think they charge by destination too,for that was a light box to cost me that much..

I really don't care if I pay $10.00 shipping if the seller is a worthwile seller and I want what he has for sale...Plus if he packs my game well.

Ebay is big enough to look elsewhere...

The only time I got anything shipped for less then $3.85 was when a cart was freaken sent to me in a Manilla envelope with no padding(Media Mail)..but I paid $7-10 for shipping...Now that I'll Rant about..

That's the sellers that are needed to be weary of..Or at least NOTIFIED when buying that you want your stuff packaged better when shipped again etc..

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
Well most sellers on Ebay are complete bastards, especially if they have to ship internationally. I'm still yet to see anyone on Ebay not overpricing for international shipping. Therefore I always try to only buy from sellers that clearly state how much they charge for shipping, so that I can decide if I want to get ripped off or not.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
lithy said:
Same here, never had a problem on eBay, sure some communication is slow but not everyone is online like some of us.

FKN...DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

motoslave

n00b
chris1 said:
Yes,But "$3.85" is just the charge for Priority Mail.. not the cost of the actual weight of the item being shipped...

I pack MVS "cart" in Bubble Wrap/very well packed and it costs me $7-8.00 and I add Delivery Confirmation for free(50 cent/my cost)

It just cost me $5.75 to ship 4 light comic books by Priority Mail to zip 90041..
And I only charged $3.75 shipping...I think they charge by destination too,for that was a light box to cost me that much..

I really don't care if I pay $10.00 shipping if the seller is a worthwile seller and I want what he has for sale...Plus if he packs my game well.

Ebay is big enough to look elsewhere...

The only time I got anything shipped for less then $3.85 was when a cart was freaken sent to me in a Manilla envelope with no padding(Media Mail)..but I paid $7-10 for shipping...Now that I'll Rant about..

That's the sellers that are needed to be weary of..Or at least NOTIFIED when buying that you want your stuff packaged better when shipped again etc..

Just as a heads up...you can get USPS delivery confirmation for free if you create a shipping label through usps.com. I think you need to create an account, but it'll save you a lot of money and time in the long run :)

But it's true about ebay sellers...almost everyone (including individual sellers but almost always larger companies) overcharges on the shipping. There's really no excuse for it.

2point0

NEST Puppet
A couple of thoughts about ebay and about shipping.

First of all, overcharging for shipping sucks. Especially when the seller does not clearly list the shipping cost in the description and tries to gouge you for extra money after you have already won the auction. If the seller indicates the shipping price in the description and you don't like it, you should contact the seller about the cost and ask why it is so high. Also, if the shipping charge appears to be too much, then adjust your bid accordingly or you have the choice, as others have stated, not to bid at all.

If the shipping is not clearly indicated, ask about shipping before bidding. Do not expect all sellers to charge only for exact shipping. Bottom line, ask lots of questions and make sure the answers satisfy you before you bid. If the seller does not have the courtesy to address or adequately answer your question, maybe he/she is not worth dealing with. In the end, you have to consider whether you want to deal with the person who you think is gouging you on shipping. They may be trying to pad the shipping for paypal and ebay fees and if it is clearly stated in the description, there's really no point in disputing it. It sucks, but you agree to it by placing your bid.

I agree with No Means Yes. ebay is a wonderful concept, even though it is kind of a mess. Both sellers and buyers can benefit from ebay when it is used properly.

Regarding usps mail, anything over 13 oz., cannot be sent by 1st class mail and for priority mail, anything that is over one pound will be $5.75 or more. Packed MVS carts are usually over 1 pound and will therefore, cost $5.75 to ship by USPS Priority Mail. You could conceiveably send a cart for $3.85 if you send it in the flat rate envelope, there is no flat rate box. I wouldn't want my carts sent stuffed in one of those envelopes though.

You could also send items by parcel post, but that might take a while and often is not much less than priority mail. Media Mail is also cheaper, but also takes quite a while for delivery.

As far as I know, the USPS shipping charges are the same throughout the US. So if you send something across town or all the way to me in HI, it should cost the same.

Regarding usps.com click and ship. I use it a lot and I like it. You pack the box and attach the label and drop it off at the post office. No need to wait in line if you pay for the postage on line. The delivery confirmation is free, however, it does not provide tracking. It only indicates when the postage is paid for and when the package arrives at its destination. Technically, the green Delivery Confirmation slip that you get charged $.45 to use at the post office is only supposed to give the same information, but more often than not, it will track your package for you. The tracking may be worth the extra $.45.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
as a seller on ebay i know where these people are coming from. i use to sell a ton of genesis games on ebay. about 70 a week. after the listing fee, total auction final value, and then you get raped by paypal. if you sell a game for $100.00 you will probebly only see about $92.00 after all the fees, assuming the person pays paypal.

and on top of that you got, gas to go to the post office every day, materials exp: envelopes, pens, markers, tape. and most importantly, the hours of getting everything in order and packing them up.

so even if you do use priority mail and get free supplies, there are alot of factors to figure in. ebay is really a job if your serious about it. it will consume all of your time.

what i did was just start shipping for the actual cost to me, which was around $1.60 for first class. and it was amazing how much money i made. people will bid on your items first if you have lower shipping. it actually works out for the better if you try not to cheat people on shipping.

who you all should really be bitching at is paypal. paypal is a fucking ripoff :very_ang:

paypal runs ebay with a iron rule. if you don't accept paypal as a payment your aut of fucking luck. you will sell your items for half as much. and some people are so lazy that they can't, or just don't know how to address a envelope or buy a money order. they will just say fuck it and back out. on another token, if you do take paypal you get raped by the fees.

another thing, if you ship a item to a paypal user with a non confirmed address, or you just plain forget delivery conformation you're screwed. the paypal buyer can at the click of a mouse empty out of your bank account for the money they spent and get a free game. there are alot of people on ebay who use this scam everyday to get stuff for free from non experienced sellers. so in the end sellers really have no protection either. unless of course they spend another 45 cents for every item they sell to get the delivery conformation. cause it doesn't matter if the custome wants it, pays for it, or even sends an email asking you not to use it, you will have to get a refund to them. that is another expense in the shipping.

basically to sum it all up. paypal is a ludacris fucking company that has a monopoly over the biggest online store in the world, and there on a team fucking people over any which way they can.

any anger toward shipping prices should be directed straight to ebay and paypal. because paypal is somethin evil.

i think there is a anti paypal site www.paypalsucks.com that explains alot more stuff you don't even want to know. like how paypal use to hide there contact info. it was impossible to find a phone number for paypal. it may still be impossible. you all should check it out if it's still active.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Paypal is a great service, it just needs some damn competition. So does eBay really. Its too bad c2it never got off the ground, and its also too bad yahoo auctions in the us are desolate.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
lithy said:
Paypal is a great service, it just needs some damn competition. So does eBay really. Its too bad c2it never got off the ground, and its also too bad yahoo auctions in the us are desolate.

right on brother, c2it was a great place. if only people knew.

No Means Yes

Banned
lithy said:

Competition isn't likely. Ebay owns the exclusive rights to the PayPal trademark, and makes a killing off of the service. Such competition wouldn't be in eBay's best interests.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
No Means Yes said:
Competition isn't likely. Ebay owns the exclusive rights to the PayPal trademark, and makes a killing off of the service. Such competition wouldn't be in eBay's best interests.

I know and its this monopolistic behavior that kills services like c2it. But its also not a choice of ebays to allow competition they just won't promote it like paypal, but you have to allow sellers the option of recieving payment through alternate services.

thelastbogard said:
Sorry had to vent.

Uh... it really does cost close to $10 to ship an AES game in an official priority mail box. The $3.85 (not $3.95) fee is the base fee. As long as your package is less than so many ounces, and less than x certain cubic inches it is that.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
lithy said:

Thats what I usually decide on is about shipping. If its too high forget it. Mine is always $10 for an AES game or close to it...so if its like $15 bucks forget it. Unless its being shipped EMS then Ill accept it. :)

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
2point0 said:
A couple of thoughts about ebay and about shipping.

First of all, overcharging for shipping sucks. Especially when the seller does not clearly list the shipping cost in the description and tries to gouge you for extra money after you have already won the auction. If the seller indicates the shipping price in the description and you don't like it, you should contact the seller about the cost and ask why it is so high. Also, if the shipping charge appears to be too much, then adjust your bid accordingly or you have the choice, as others have stated, not to bid at all.

If the shipping is not clearly indicated, ask about shipping before bidding. Do not expect all sellers to charge only for exact shipping. Bottom line, ask lots of questions and make sure the answers satisfy you before you bid. If the seller does not have the courtesy to address or adequately answer your question, maybe he/she is not worth dealing with. In the end, you have to consider whether you want to deal with the person who you think is gouging you on shipping. They may be trying to pad the shipping for paypal and ebay fees and if it is clearly stated in the description, there's really no point in disputing it. It sucks, but you agree to it by placing your bid.

I agree with No Means Yes. ebay is a wonderful concept, even though it is kind of a mess. Both sellers and buyers can benefit from ebay when it is used properly.

Regarding usps mail, anything over 13 oz., cannot be sent by 1st class mail and for priority mail, anything that is over one pound will be $5.75 or more. Packed MVS carts are usually over 1 pound and will therefore, cost $5.75 to ship by USPS Priority Mail. You could conceiveably send a cart for $3.85 if you send it in the flat rate envelope, there is no flat rate box. I wouldn't want my carts sent stuffed in one of those envelopes though.

You could also send items by parcel post, but that might take a while and often is not much less than priority mail. Media Mail is also cheaper, but also takes quite a while for delivery.

As far as I know, the USPS shipping charges are the same throughout the US. So if you send something across town or all the way to me in HI, it should cost the same.

Regarding usps.com click and ship. I use it a lot and I like it. You pack the box and attach the label and drop it off at the post office. No need to wait in line if you pay for the postage on line. The delivery confirmation is free, however, it does not provide tracking. It only indicates when the postage is paid for and when the package arrives at its destination. Technically, the green Delivery Confirmation slip that you get charged $.45 to use at the post office is only supposed to give the same information, but more often than not, it will track your package for you. The tracking may be worth the extra $.45.

Hope this helps.

I'm trying to figure out a base rate to charge for shipping for some CPSii stuff I'm going to list on Ebay..

I weighed the 3 boards with mother boards on a home/bathroom scale and it read 19 pds..
I took a look over at the USPS website and it looks like they charge differently depending on the zone..(?)
But I don't know what zones are what until I read further..
I'm still trying to understand what the heck it says over there.. :tickled:

Have any idea on how much It'll cost me to ship the CPSII stuff... A base Rate I should charge for USPS Priority mail.... :help:

Darkstalkers with manual
Marvel Super Heroes..with manual
Xmen children of the Atom with large..(ok) marquee
2 black US mother boards..
...and I have a kick harness
2004_CPS11.jpg

2004_Muse.jpg

2004_Xmmbn.jpg

2point0

NEST Puppet
I stand corrected. Apparently I was too Hawaii-centric and shipping is cheaper within the continental US. I apologize to any seller to whom I claimed that shipping would be the same to HI as any other state.

Anyway, apparently zones are determined by the distance between the sender and the person receiving the item. For example, zone 1 would be a location w/in 50 miles of the sender, while zone 8 will be anywhere 1800 miles or more from the sender. Therefore, any shipment I make to the mainland, from CA to NY will be the same price, hence my misconception.

Here is a detailed guide about postal zones.

http://www.ribbs.usps.gov/files/Zone_Charts/ZCTECHNICAL_GUIDE.PDF

Pages 6, explains the zones and 9 has a price chart for pounds and zones.

And I see that some ebay sellers have the shipping helper on their auctions. There is a section on the item description where you fill in your zip code and it will calculate your shipping estimate. That might cost money, but you might look into that.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks
Kurt

chris1 said:
I'm trying to figure out a base rate to charge for shipping for some CPSii stuff I'm going to list on Ebay..

I weighed the 3 boards with mother boards on a home/bathroom scale and it read 19 pds..
I took a look over at the USPS website and it looks like they charge differently depending on the zone..(?)
But I don't know what zones are what until I read further..
I'm still trying to understand what the heck it says over there.. :tickled:

Have any idea on how much It'll cost me to ship the CPSII stuff... A base Rate I should charge for USPS Priority mail.... :help:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I must chime in on this one. I'm sure I am the exception to this but my ebay experience has been great thus far. In fact the only 2 games that I received as BOOTS and not what was advertised "100% original SNK MVS carts" were from 2 seperate members on this message board.

I am very dissappointed in these guys for pulling that shit on me. It was also partially my fault since early in the game, i simply play-tested my carts instead of opening them up. Had I opened them up right away, perhaps I would have been able to settle it.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
2point0 said:
I stand corrected. Apparently I was too Hawaii-centric and shipping is cheaper within the continental US. I apologize to any seller to whom I claimed that shipping would be the same to HI as any other state.

Anyway, apparently zones are determined by the distance between the sender and the person receiving the item. For example, zone 1 would be a location w/in 50 miles of the sender, while zone 8 will be anywhere 1800 miles or more from the sender. Therefore, any shipment I make to the mainland, from CA to NY will be the same price, hence my misconception.

Here is a detailed guide about postal zones.

http://www.ribbs.usps.gov/files/Zone_Charts/ZCTECHNICAL_GUIDE.PDF

Pages 6, explains the zones and 9 has a price chart for pounds and zones.

And I see that some ebay sellers have the shipping helper on their auctions. There is a section on the item description where you fill in your zip code and it will calculate your shipping estimate. That might cost money, but you might look into that.

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks
Kurt

Thank you 2point0...