Arcade wiring help

M

materia

Since my cab only came set up with 3 buttons I need to add the fourth I bought the wire, disconnects and crimper. I found that all of the control wires go through this wierd connector http://www.hardmvs.com/images/projects/basicHarness/coinMolexSM.jpg It looks just like that only bigger. The problem is button d's wire was not added to the other side how on eath to I put a wire into one of these adapter. do I just jam it in or is their a special clip. Thank you, I am a total electronics newbie :p

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
If you can't find the right terminal and/or the crimping tool for that molex connector, just run a wire from pin 25 of the jamma harness directly to the 4th button(s).

M

materia

MKL said:
If you can't find the right terminal and/or the crimping tool for that molex connector, just run a wire from pin 25 of the jamma harness directly to the 4th button(s).

Hi Thanks for the help I dont know what tool to use what connector or terminal do I need. Also if I run a wire from Jamma to button where does it go my setup is like this. At the front of the cab therei is a black jamma adapter. Then the wires from here go to two Jamma connectors http://www.solvalou.com/images/arcade/egret/jamma2.jpg Do I have to run a wire into this or can I just take a wire from the end and run it straight to the button. Thank you.

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
If you plan on using 4th button for just NEO GEO, run a wire straight form JAMMA connector and solder it onto the button. Then solder a piggyback ground from the other buttons to the new 4th button. It's really simple, don't get intimidated by the other wires in the cabinet. Just be careful around the monitor that's all. And make sure the unit is unplugged for added safety.

:buttrock: :mr_t:

M

materia

ToeJam said:
If you plan on using 4th button for just NEO GEO, run a wire straight form JAMMA connector and solder it onto the button. Then solder a piggyback ground from the other buttons to the new 4th button. It's really simple, don't get intimidated by the other wires in the cabinet. Just be careful around the monitor that's all. And make sure the unit is unplugged for added safety.

:buttrock: :mr_t:

Ok Thanks, quick question if I do pull the wire out to run to 4th button how do I put a new wire into the jamma harness. Do i just push it in?

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Well,

You would need a JAMMA molex pin to insert, it is pretty easy to do, all you have to do is either solder or crimp the wire onto the pin and then just push it in until it clicks into place. Granted, it takes a little practice, I have ruined a few before I got the hang of it. If you go to www.therealbobroberts.com and look at some of the tutorials that have great pic's to show you what he's talking about. Also, it is a great place to pick up affordable parts for cabs as well. For some reason, his site is down, hopefully he's still in the business? I hope this helps, as for getting some of those pins, I usually go through him, I have a bunch of extra's if you need it?
Laters...

SeaWolf69

M

materia

SeaWolf69 said:
Well,

You would need a JAMMA molex pin to insert, it is pretty easy to do, all you have to do is either solder or crimp the wire onto the pin and then just push it in until it clicks into place. Granted, it takes a little practice, I have ruined a few before I got the hang of it. If you go to www.therealbobroberts.com and look at some of the tutorials that have great pic's to show you what he's talking about. Also, it is a great place to pick up affordable parts for cabs as well. For some reason, his site is down, hopefully he's still in the business? I hope this helps, as for getting some of those pins, I usually go through him, I have a bunch of extra's if you need it?
Laters...

SeaWolf69

Do i need this molex pin to connect to the jamma harness or just the molex adapter. Also are wires easy to pull out of a Jamma Harness. It sounds easier to just pull out the wire from d button slot and but in a long one that will run to the button.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Well,

It isn't that hard to pull the wire from the pin, you can use a small screw drive and extract the pin, if the D wire is present in the molex connector that is going into your control panel, just cut it as it goes into the molex connector and run it to the D button. It should be present, try going to the JAMMA harness molex connector that connects to the motherboard/game and see if the wire is present? If it is, then just trace it to the control panel molex connector and your in business. I had to do something similar to mine, I wanted to hook up the select button, I found that it was present and lead into the control panel molex connector, but nothing came out of the other side? So, I just cut it and spliced another wire leading to my select button and I was in business. Just take your time and you should be able to do it with minimal problems. :smirk:

M

materia

SeaWolf69 said:
Well,

It isn't that hard to pull the wire from the pin, you can use a small screw drive and extract the pin, if the D wire is present in the molex connector that is going into your control panel, just cut it as it goes into the molex connector and run it to the D button. It should be present, try going to the JAMMA harness molex connector that connects to the motherboard/game and see if the wire is present? If it is, then just trace it to the control panel molex connector and your in business. I had to do something similar to mine, I wanted to hook up the select button, I found that it was present and lead into the control panel molex connector, but nothing came out of the other side? So, I just cut it and spliced another wire leading to my select button and I was in business. Just take your time and you should be able to do it with minimal problems. :smirk:

Thank you :) I will try it tonight I need to do it since by board and kof2k2 just arrived today :)

M

materia

ToeJam said:
Believe me, once you look at it it'll all make sense.

YAY I did it, all the buttons are hooked up and nothing beats playing kof2k2 on a candy cab :)

Even though this is the easiest project to due I felt so good when it worked :) I guess my digital logics class finally payed off :D I knew a cs major was the right choice 2 more years then off for my masters so then I can finally set up a capcom kick harness :)

Thanks for all the help :)