Best Fighting game on the NEO GEO???

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm going with Mark of the Wolves on this. I have never played Samurai Showdown 4, is it any good?

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
This question could really start a debate.

I would say one of the better overall fighting games on the Neo Geo is SS2.

Now, I really like MotW, but the game has had very little time to collect dust....

I think SS4 is a good game, better than 3, but not as good as 2.

Another game that really intrigues me is Ninja Masters.... Too me, that game is just SO Cool!!!

Keith

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
I haven't seen MOTW yet (bring it over Keith!!) so I'll have to say Samurai Shodown 2, though SS1 is my actual personal favorite Neo Geo game.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif
http://welcome.to/undertheneogeomoon

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
Without question or equal, the finest fighting game on NeoGeo (and my favorite fighter of all time) is Last Blade 2.

Just MY opinion. ;-)

John

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
I have not seem very much of Last Blade 2, so I am qualifying my reply.....

From the little bit I played, I did not think it was too much of an improvement over Last Blade. Maybe I need to spend some more time on it (I don't own it, I own LB on MVS).

In a crazy way, LB felt like a sequal to NM in some kind of Twilight Zone sense!
smile.gif

Keith

Todd

Galford's Armourer
Even though ive been playing Mark of the Wolves none stop for 2 weeks now, I always seem to bring myself back to Samurai Shodown2.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Mark of the Wolves. I agree. SS 4 is good, but not better than 2. Personally, I liked Last Blade series a little better. I also enjoy Ninja Masters, because of the amount of combos you can dish out. It's a bit reminiscient of Killer Instnct.

DIY

Loyal Neo-Disciple
SS2 is the best. next to that i'd have to say Real Bout Fatal Fury Special.

Shawn

snkusa.com
Last Blade 2 is a masterpiece, and by far my favorite 2D fighter. I appreciate the well rounder characters, and tight play control. I think this is where the KoF series went wrong. If they would have focused on a dozen well-developed characters, instead of 50 rushed characters, I’m sure the results would have been more pleasing. Take Mark of the Wolves for instance, fewer characters, outstanding game. MotW is naturally my 2nd favorite. A game of LB2 or MotW always hits the spot for me.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Even though it's not my favourite fighter on the system, my vote still goes to The King of Fighters '97. It has a huge line-up of characters, good music when there's any playing and by far the best comboability of any Neo fighter. You should see the LD if you don't believe me. (Mark of the Wolves is a close second from what I've played of it & seen.)

Control is loose and perfect. The repertoire of special attacks is very deep. I screwed up the whole game for myself by beating it before having played '96, so the story didn't mean anything to me for a long time, but it is a good story and of course there are many bonus endings for various teams.

Then it's got survivor mode, which is addictive like crack (to me at any rate). So toss them all into the cauldron and we end up with the final Orochi saga; the best fighter on the system, in my opinion.

Just to state my favourite, it's the original Samurai Shodown. What fond memories I have of playing that on the 4-slot at Pizza Pizza....

Lightning

n00b
On the Neo my favorite fighting game is LB2 followed closly by Waku Waku 7. Whats this fascination people have for SS2...sorry but it didnt do much for me! My favorite 2D fighter of all time though is Vampire Hunter 2, then SF2 CE (I liked it so much I bought the arcade machine)

Lightning...

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
While I love Waku Waku 7, which I own, I have to say I don't think it's 100% awesome. I mean, CAN you do ANY combos in it? I don't even think the game has 2 in 1s, which was exactly my prob with AOF3, which I still haven't beaten with every character....

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif
http://welcome.to/undertheneogeomoon

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
Bill, I agree with your analysis of "Waku Waku 7". It's a fun, unique, and visually appealing fighter, but ultimately rather shallow. I would've liked to have seen the release of a true sequel to "Waku Waku 7", featuring more characters and a revamped combo system. However, there probably isn't a "snowball's chance in hell" of a Waku Waku 7 sequel ever seeing the light of day...

As of late, I've been hooked on MOTW. I suppose I could say that is my favorite Neo-Geo fighting game at the moment.

asam79

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Mark of the wolves is almost similar to street fighter 3.
My choice is Last blade 2.
I like the "repel" system.

At least, I can counterattack when I was cornered.

I think most people also vote "Last blade 2" for the best. I played Last blade 2 like crazy with my brother. After I got Mark of the wolves and I played couple times. It is still not impressed me and my bro. It maybe better graphics but the game system is not as sophisticated as Last blade 2.

The feel of "Mind game" on Last blade 2 is really exciting. Compare to King of fighters, it is well a lot better.
as KOF 99, KOF is becoming too messy like Marvel vs. Capcom.

Last Blade 2 is still the most cool and impressive game so far on Neo Geo or maybe also the best compare to all 2D fightings ever existed.

I am a figting game maniac so I played lots of figthing games. But, Last blade 2 is the one that blow my mind.

If this Last blade 2 really come to Dreamcast, I am sure the all the game fans are really excited. Hope it really happens.
For most people, spend $350 for the game is not worthed. But, I would say that's one of my Neo geo best spending. It is well worthed.

Robi15

20 Year Member
I have to say Waku Waku 7 is my absolute favorite. And here is my reasons.

First, it's not so complicated as KOF and FF later series. You'r friend who don't play alot of TV-games, can quickly adopt the WW7 game. They will not be experts on WW7, but at least good opponents.

Secondly, there are combos available. They are not so complex as on ex MOTW.
The fighting is fast, intense, reminds a lot of Street Fighter II. And I like Street Fighter II games a lot!

Last Blade and SS series are more, as mentioned "Mind Game" games. I like thoes as well. But WW7 is special. Easy to learn, fast and a lot of humor! That's why it's fun all the time!
smile.gif

As you know,just my oppinions!

Robi15

[This message has been edited by Robi15 (edited September 14, 2000).]

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Hey Robi15,
Everyone like something different. For the same reasons given in your post I love Galaxy Fight. Its was done by the same folks who did WW7. You might want to check it out. Although its not as easy or as intuitive as WW7.
-nick_th_fury

Robi15

20 Year Member
Yeah, I know that "Sunsoft" made Galaxy Fight. It's just that I have not found this game for normal price anywhere. I'm thinking of getting it on MVS.

Robi15

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
I have to agree with Shawn here, Last Blade 2 is a masterpiece. Incredible weapon effects, fantastic music and sound effects, a great atmosphere, and beautifully animated characters . . . and incredibly tight control.

Followed closely by MOTW, and SS2.

As for Galaxy Fight, sorry nick but I have to say (no offense, you understand) that it is pure shit. I have the game, home cart, Japanese version, in near mint condition (insert is mint, box is good with some cracks in inside sleeve, manual is mint in original bag). If anyone wants to buy it from me, send offers to neogeo10@yahoo.com.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
All right chimp, them theres fighting words where I come from. Put em up Put em up!
Seriously though, I really think Galaxy Fight rocks. Being blinded by its glory I do feel that anyone who hates that game has obviously not played it enough. :)

However, for the best of the best fighters I currently see it as these:
MarkoftheWolves
Samurai Shodown 3
Real Bout 2
Ninja Masters
KOF'96 & '98

-nick_th_fury

Robi15

20 Year Member
Just noticed that on MOTW's Rock Howard stage, the music is a cover of "Robert Miles-CHILDREN". That's way to cool!

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Yup, you're not the only one noticing that, I actually have the cassett of the song "Children" which I listen to it in my car all the time.

Speaking of fighters, I rate them the following:

Last Blade 2
Art of Fighting 3
Ninja Masters
Samurai Showdown 2

I actually prefer Real Bout 2 over MOTW for some reasons, just the way it plays, it's much more Fatal Furish than MOTW.

Vince

Lou Gojira

Enemy Chaser
My personal favorite fighter is KOF 98. It's got everything that makes KOF games so much fun to play: the ass kickin' graphics we've all come to expect, great music, and a lot of peoples' least favorite team (though they're some of my favorite characters in the KOF series) Team USA finally done some justice since they seemed a little rushed in KOF 94.

Some other faves include (in no particular order):
The original Real Bout (haven't got to play MOTW yet...
frown.gif
)
Samurai Shodown II
Last Blade (the first one)
Ninja Masters
and last but not least Galaxy Fight (even though I still can't beat that last boss)

pedu

Armored Scrum Object
best fighting ?

it must be

Samurai Spirits 2
KOF 95 , 99 & 98
Street Fighter 3 : double impact and Capcom vs SNK is impressive too

I'm interested in buying DC console (maybe this month) , anyone has the same thought?
redface.gif
)
I think it's pretty reliable now , its console basis is pretty large now ( 2-3 million in US? cmiiw).

thx

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I don't think I could come up with just one single title that claims the best fighter crown on the Neo. I would toss it up between the usual suspects: LB2, MotW, KoF 96, and SS4. SS4 is a great game. Worth the cost of the MVS cart for sure. The growing home cart price is debatable. I literally bought the Neo for that game alone to give you an idea of what I think of it. Too bad for my bank account I found the other games too.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I might be changing my favorite to Last Blade 2 if Shawn has his way with me. =)

I can't believe I haven't played it yet.