Do you ever feel you wasted your money on a neo game ?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
yes, ROTD US $335 when I could have been happy with a $35 mvs kit.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
No.

It's the drugs that I regret... my Neo carts don't go up in smoke...

PS: With the exception of LoSJ. I burnt that mother fucker.

Yep...

Money was wasted only if I lost money on the buy and sell of a game. Playing any NEO game is a privledge but I'd say:

SVC: Chaos ( severe disappointment. We know why)
Neo Turf Masters [?] (Boring golf game. IMO, golf games need to be run on the latest 3D hardware to be fun)

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
Even if I buy a game and it turns out to be shitty, I don't feel like I have wasted money. There are always threads about shitty games and it's nice to have the game on hand to break out when the discussion is brought up(WH's for example) ;)

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
sengoku.
just wasn't half as cool as it was when I played it years ago
for some reason. Maybe it was the gameplay.
anyways I got it on the cheap, so no worries.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Nope. Even when you pay too much for a MVS game it's still much cheaper than the AES counterpart.

JFlex

Marked Wolf
Super Sidekicks 3.....in my opinion, the worst of the series. I swear to God, it sat on my shelf for 8 years before I put it back into my AES system.....and that was only to test it.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
No!!! I just buy all the games even if it is a crappy game but every system has to have there crappy games. Neo has more good then crappy anyways. :D

One of these times Ill buy SVC but Iam not wanting to pay full price for that game as I dislike it alot but I gotta own it sometime. :tickled:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Nope.

I spent hundreds buying Fatal Fury 2 when it came out, then when Special came out, I spent hundreds on that. I didn't feel I was being ripped off for buying a game update with slightly tweaked mechanics and a few new playable characters (I guess Street Fighter had gotten me used to the idea). I was happy as a clam, and I still am (It's kind of funny that it all stopped when the fatality controversy started, but there were a lot of people complaining about those things for SS5S not too long ago). Hell, I spent hundreds on World Heroes 2 at release and never felt it was a waste. Those things paid for themselves in saved quarters within a week of purchase.

The one time that might be considered a waste was one time when I wasn't paying attention at the 7-11, and accidentally pressed start on Baseball Stars instead of League Bowling. I was mad, but I had fun with Baseball Stars anyway. Not sure why I still remember that day.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
I really tried to appreciate Galaxy Fight by Sunsoft, but that game was an absolute waste! Not only was the game boring, but also it felt like my joystick was broken every time I played it.

We're talking awkward character design, flat backgrounds, choppy animation, and lousy controls -- this was the single-worst purchase of my life. My 10-year-old cousin hated it the first time he played it, and he usually likes to play everything. Lol

Chairman Kaga

Fio's Quartermaster
Some mediocre games I bought, should have tried the roms first.

Sonic Wings 3 AES
Neo Cup '98 AES
Ultimate 11 MVS Kit

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
SouthtownKid said:
It's kind of funny that it all stopped when the fatality controversy started, but there were a lot of people complaining about those things for SS5S not too long ago.

Yep, I was one of the people complaining.

And it's a valid complaint considering SNKP / Yuki / whoever had six years to get the game right the first time...

I'm still happy with my SS0 cart though. At least it works the way it's supposed to.

Last edited:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
I'm still happy with my SS0S cart though. At least it works the way it's supposed to.

It's supposed to be buggy and censored? I don't get it.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
I really tried to appreciate Galaxy Fight by Sunsoft, but that game was an absolute waste! Not only was the game boring, but also it felt like my joystick was broken every time I played it.

We're talking awkward character design, flat backgrounds, choppy animation, and brain-dead control -- this was the single-worst purchase of my life. My 10-year-old cousin hated it the first time he played it, and he usually likes to play everything. Lol
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I loved it when it first came out. I thought it was very different from everything up to that point and I liked the endless backgrounds. The character designs were undeniably weak, but for some reason that just added to the charm (somehow, I always relate GF to that psuedo 3D fighter Sega came out with, what was it called? Where you endlessly circle around each other, but with 2D graphics? Dark-something, or something. Another game I liked that never caught on). Knowing FF3 was on the way, there was no way I was going to buy it, though. I don't know if I'd still like it now, but as cheap as it is, I'm tempted to find out.

tsukaesugi said:
Yep, I was one of the people complaining.

And it's a valid complaint considering SNKP / Yuki / whoever had six years to get the game right the first time...

I'm still happy with my SS0S cart though. At least it works the way it's supposed to.
Yeah, it just cracked me up how that talk all dried up so suddenly. It's like my grandfather always used to say, the best cure for a stomach ache is to hit yourself in the head with a hammer. Or something like that.

Last edited:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
galfordo said:
It's supposed to be buggy and censored? I don't get it.

Whoops, I meant SS0. I'll go back and edit my original post.

All of these acronyms are starting to get to me.

:loco:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
Whoops, I meant SS0. I'll go back and edit my original post.

All of these acronyms are starting to get to me.

:loco:

Oh, I see. Yeah, at least SS0 wasn't a huge slap in the face and a monumental waste of potential like SS0S was/is, but hopefully won't forever be. :)

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Electroman said:
Yep...

Money was wasted only if I lost money on the buy and sell of a game. Playing any NEO game is a privledge but I'd say:

SVC: Chaos ( severe disappointment. We know why)
Neo Turf Masters [?] (Boring golf game. IMO, golf games need to be run on the latest 3D hardware to be fun)

About money lost on the sell of a game - That is one thing that is probably the most rediculous about this entire scene. People pay for a game (40 bucks for example - some MVS thing)........6 months down the road (or basically the Future that includes you playing the game and using it) you sell it and not only price it even but sometimes MORE than what you paid.......boggles the mind. As if to say that by putting your hands on the carts, you have blessed it with your twinkle star sprite sprinkles which give you (us all i suppose) the right to expect to break-even or profit from that which we used.

- this is not an attack at you bro, just analysis/ frustration as a whole with regards to peoples expectations when it comes to selling used neo-geo products (namely MVS carts).

About your NeoTurfmasters comment - LMAO - wow - you are probably the first and only person that I have encountered to say anything negative about that game. Cool beans.

Now on to business: The only regrets i have are the 2 bootlegs (out of the 30 carts I have purchased thus far) which I have received from MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD nonetheless which were stated to be "100% legit SNK MVS". I've been lucky so far with my EBAY transactions. It is a dissapointment that I would be taken by respected members on this board though.

I can not complain since those 2 carts involved other legit carts that I received well below the value of those carts. I have not really lost money but I have lost respect for a few.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
SouthtownKid said:
You're going to think I'm crazy, but I loved it when it first came out. I thought it was very different from everything up to that point and I liked the endless backgrounds. The character designs were undeniably weak, but for some reason that just added to the charm (somehow, I always relate GF to that psuedo 3D fighter Sega came out with, what was it called? Where you endlessly circle around each other, but with 2D graphics? Dark-something, or something. Another game I liked that never caught on). Knowing FF3 was on the way, there was no way I was going to buy it, though. I don't know if I'd still like it now, but as cheap as it is, I'm tempted to find out.

Thanks a lot! :D Now you're going to have me up all night until I can remember the name of that fighter.

You are right about the price being cheap, too. Just last week someone was selling a mint copy for under $70. If I didn't dislike it so much, I would have bought it.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I'm never unsatisfied with games on the used market,condition(s) would be the issue these days for me. When I made most of my purchases upon release,I would have to state that 3 Count Bout was a huge disappointment. I expected the gameplay to be on the technical side and pin fall break friendly. The BG's and characters sprites left alot to be desired .The three acceptable designs imo just happpen to be on the front cover.
My thinking was that werstlers from different series under the SNK label would be featured like Sheen from ADK,Muscle Power and of course Big Bear.
Haha,I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off in my expectations and lesson learned was the wait and see approach.
-BB

Curt

apostate
I currently *want* to buy Legend of Success Joe.

Does that answer the question?

I have indeed read the general consensus of the game, and have even played it for myself... to me there is something endearing about the Japanglish, the skinny sprites, the crappy controls, and the general "badness" to the game.

abdul

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I only have 2 Neo homecarts: Art of Fighting 3 and Samurai Shodown 2. I payed about $245 for both of these, and consider it one of the best purchases I have ever made.

The only Neo games I will buy are the ones I know I will be playing constantly. ( gonna get KoF 2000, Last Blade, and Real Bout 2 by the end of the year.)