Genesis Fatal Fury footage on Archive.org!

MarrymeMai

Frenzy Football Player
That sucks; thought it was a commercial. Oh well. AOF, SS, WH and Super Baseball 2020 are on there too.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Man .... I think ports were a bad idea back then.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
That video brought back some painful memories. What a shitty game that was. :angry:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
oldschool said:
That video brought back some painful memories. What a shitty game that was. :angry:

Same here - I bought it on the SNES, thinking as a naive yougster that the its extra graphic muscle and sound might somehow be able to pull it off ..... not even close. :crying:

There's a special kind of pain that you get as a broke ass gamer when you realize that you've just forked over hard-earned cash for a piece of $hyte, and this conversion gave me all that and more.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
lmao

What picky little kids you guys must've been. I was just happy to be able to play Fatal Fury 2 without putting in a quarter every time.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SonGohan said:
lmao

What picky little kids you guys must've been. I was just happy to be able to play Fatal Fury 2 without putting in a quarter every time.

I think the SNES's Street Fighter II port (which was terrific) may have given me some unrealistic expectations about how other ports would turn out. But yeah, I was a pretty picky little bastard .... actually I still am. :D

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
If we're going to be talking about ports, let's not be biased. The SNES SF2 port wasn't done that well, either. I'm not saying I didn't play the hell out of it and love it, because I did. I just fail to see how the SF2 port "spoiled" you, so to speak, because I've analyzed every inch of that game, as well as the other ports, and it's not that much better.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I think they were just refering to the port of Fatal Fury 1 on the Genesis as being bad. I actually bought it a few months back (well I picked it up during a buy 1 get 1 free dealie somewhere) and haven't even played it because I also remember playing it back a LONG time ago at a lock-in I went to as a kid. The port of Fatal Fury 2 on the other hand is a completely different story, it was a great conversion especially considering it was on the Genesis.

Not that Fatal Fury 1 is that great of a game in the first place.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
I think they were just refering to the port of Fatal Fury 1 on the Genesis as being bad.

Never played the Genesis port, but I can't imagine it being much worse than the SNES port. But yeah, it was FF1.

Syxx573 said:
I actually bought it a few months back (well I picked it up during a buy 1 get 1 free dealie somewhere) and haven't even played it because I also remember playing it back a LONG time ago at a lock-in I went to as a kid. The port of Fatal Fury 2 on the other hand is a completely different story, it was a great conversion especially considering it was on the Genesis.

I can't really comment on the FF2 port .... couldn't bring myself to buy another one after the sting of FF1.

Anyway, I must disagree with you, SonGohan, about the SF2 port for the SNES - unless the FF2 port was waaaaayyyy better than the FF1 port, in which case this doesn't really apply.

Of course none of the ports were spot-on back then, in any category, but I just thought that the SF2 port was closer in every conceivable way than the FF1 SNES port (gameplay, sounds, music, graphics, backgrounds, etc.). Oh, and as a naive youngster I was hoping (foolishly) to have the voices and scaling present in the FF1 SNES port ... oh well.

MarrymeMai

Frenzy Football Player
galfordo said:
Anyway, I must disagree with you, SonGohan, about the SF2 port for the SNES - unless the FF2 port was waaaaayyyy better than the FF1 port, in which case this doesn't really apply.

It was significantly better. Although FFS on the Sega CD was quite good IMO. Free soundtrack anyway. ;)

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
galfordo said:
I can't really comment on the FF2 port .... couldn't bring myself to buy another one after the sting of FF1.

Of course none of the ports were spot-on back then, in any category, but I just thought that the SF2 port was closer in every conceivable way than the FF1 SNES port (gameplay, sounds, music, graphics, backgrounds, etc.). Oh, and as a naive youngster I was hoping (foolishly) to have the voices and scaling present in the FF1 SNES port ... oh well.

I just brought up FF2 because it was a port.

Honestly, back then, it was all about the games. I look back and realize how much of a gamer I really was. I rented Art of Fighting for the Genesis just to be able to experience a different AOF that was found on the SNES and Neo Geo. I looked at the back, and knew it wasn't going to be anything like the arcade. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to have fun with it.

I knew SF2 was missing frames, had different pitched voices, none of the cool glitches the arcade version had, different combo timings, and smaller resolution. It was still fun to play, though. Same went with all the ports. There were two different sides to gaming for me. One - the arcade, two - at home. I played WH2 at the arcade, and WH2 at home. Both similar games, but not exactly the same, but I wasn't trying to play the arcade version at home, either. There wasn't a Neo on the shelf, it was an SNES. I didn't expect 150 megs of power with that, and you shouldn't either.

Still, I find it hard to believe that you just up and quit playing any and every port that came out solely because of FF1. Back then the FFS port was rockin for the SNES, as was WH2. The AoF port was suprisingly close to the arcade version as well. Especially with the zooming, voices, special moves, and it had a cool little vs. cpu you could play so you could use the entire cast.

I just think you're really over-playing the port hating. It's easy to say that kind of stuff now, but back then that's all you had. We didn't have 6,000 arcade games sitting in a little box on our desk available at a whim. So I stand by what said earlier - either you guys were the pickiest little children, or you're just playing up how bad they were, looking in retrospect.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
SonGohan said:
Still, I find it hard to believe that you just up and quit playing any and every port that came out solely because of FF1. Back then the FFS port was rockin for the SNES, as was WH2. The AoF port was suprisingly close to the arcade version as well. Especially with the zooming, voices, special moves, and it had a cool little vs. cpu you could play so you could use the entire cast.

Yeah, I just got finished watching the AoF video - I was pretty surprised that they were able to get the zooming in there - pretty cool. Unfortunately, I had long since lost faith in Neo Geo ports. I just didn't have the cash back then to dole out second chances to companies that burnt my poor little grass-cutting ass.

I didn't quit playing all ports just because of FF1, but I did refrain from buying any more Takara ports. Back then I had a very limited gaming budget, and would save for months just to get a new game - so it wasn't always easy for me to get over buying a crummy game. If I got burnt by one company, I'd more than likely just spend what little gaming cash I had on the company I could depend on - which was Capcom or Nintendo mostly, at the time.

SonGohan said:
I just think you're really over-playing the port hating. It's easy to say that kind of stuff now, but back then that's all you had. We didn't have 6,000 arcade games sitting in a little box on our desk available at a whim. So I stand by what said earlier - either you guys were the pickiest little children, or you're just playing up how bad they were, looking in retrospect.

I was probably a pretty picky kid, but I do vividly remember being genuinely disappointed by the FF1 port - that's what it comes down to for me. It's not something I made up - I remember being pretty damned angry.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
Rent that shit.

Heh, I literally had like 5 games when I was a kid. I rented like hell, though.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
I had Fatal Fury for my Megadrive when I was 14 years old and I enjoyed it to death. It was much better than the Snes one, and the best (well, basically the only one) fighter on it til my pleas got answered and we got SF2 SCE :buttrock: , which was heaven on earth :drool_2:

jLew

n00b
I remember getting SF2:CE for like my 12th birthday. I don't think i've had that much fun with a single game in the decade since then. I used to rent the genesis port of FF1 all the time, and having logged like 400 hours on the MVS version as a youngin', I can definitely say it was the closest home translation (the SNES was a joke). of course now it looks like crap, but back in the day it was pretty impressive. FF2 for the genesis was definitely a better translation though. AOF for genesis was a joke. don't even get me started on the giant pile of shit that WH for genesis was.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SonGohan said:
Still, I find it hard to believe that you just up and quit playing any and every port that came out solely because of FF1.
Believe it.

I loved and was perfectly satisfied with the SF2 port -- it was pretty near exact as far as I was aware at the time of it's release -- but that FF1 port is what convinced me I needed an AES, at great personal financial sacrifice. Looking back, I can't figure out how I was able to even scrape together the money for half of the AES, but I remember the determination that I wasn't going to be stuck with that low level of quality when FF2 was released. Of course the FF2 port ended up being a lot better quality than the FF1, but no way I would've been happy with it. Same goes for AOF (which somehow seems the best SNES port, IMO) ans SS.

Galfordo's post about being angry and no second chances, pretty well sums it up. I paid $70 for the import SFC version of FF1, which was how much I was anticipating it, and what standards I was expecting after SF2 on the same system. I felt like I had woken up to discover someone had stolen one of my kidneys and stitched me up badly. There was serious anger and a feeling of betrayal involved. Maybe if I had only spent $2 renting it, I could have shaken it off like you apparently did.

On the other hand, I've always been satisfied with Capcom ports. Super SF2 was cool, and I loved Vampire, SF Alpha series, etc. for PS. Until coming here and seeing that some others do it, it had never even occured to me to buy Capcom CPS-2 stuff or whatever. I'm still fine with just ports from Capcom.

redrum666

Mai's Apprentice
my 2 fav neo geo ports of all time would have to be world heroes 2 on the super nes and FATAL FURY SPECIAL on the sega cd i just remeber as a kid getting world heroes 2 for X-mas i played the hell out of that game good times good times :D

my 1st super nes game was FATAL FURY a friend gave it to me for free i still to this day dont know why he did that lol

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This gives me and idea for my site.