Anyone going to CGE?

EricJapan

n00b
Hey

Is anyone going to the Classic Gaming Expo in August in San Jose? They had great exposure in Los Angeles. Naturally, I'll insert my own link as a shameless plug, but also as a way to get to the CGE web group:

http://www.japan-games.com

Laters,
Eric

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
EricJapan said:
Hey

Is anyone going to the Classic Gaming Expo in August in San Jose? They had great exposure in Los Angeles. Naturally, I'll insert my own link as a shameless plug, but also as a way to get to the CGE web group:

http://www.japan-games.com

Laters,
Eric

I wish I could - but the airfare combined with renting a hotel in San Jose would clean me out. :(

I really do enjoy the history of gaming, however, and will hopefully get the chance to go before they stop having it. That brings up a question: How healthy is the CGE these days? Has it been expanding, or dying down a little, or what? The retro scene still seems to be gaining a little momentum these days, so I'm guessing it's doing ok, but I'm not positive.

BIG

sony fanboy
I'll be there,along with a few of the Bay Area crew.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I'm coming all the way from Florida to go to the CGE this year, can't wait.
Was going to start a thread like this myself :) Post if you're going, all.

EricJapan

n00b
hmmm....

I'm not sure if I'm going but you'll probably see some of my items there like the Japanese Intellivision and a Nintendo "love hotel" unit that I sold to the organizers.... I've just moved back from Japan and I'm looking for my next "career" so I don't know if I'll make it or not. But, I have a lot of Japanese product that I'd like to sell.

It should be pretty big, it's grown every year, and the organizers put a lot of effort into it. The response at E3 was huge, lots of press both in the US and outside the US ran features on the their exhibit.

On a sour note, it used to be held in Vegas which helped, so a lot of people are wondering if San Jose will cool any travelers off.....

Laters,
Eric
Japan-Games.com
NewLogo.jpg

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
Personally I'd preferred Vegas anytime over San Jose, due to the fact that it's cheaper for travellers to go to Vegas, all the foods/gambling/easy access to most places w/o renting a car, going to San Jose will more than double the cost of the trip. I'm not going this yr due to my overseas trip coming close, but the aforementioned factor was the primary reason.

I'll probably go next year but guess what? I'll fly to Vegas again for a few days and rent a car, drive to San Jose for 2 nights just for the event and head back to Vegas, as I absolutely detest traffic jams in California, whoever came up with the idea of tearing down LA mass transit back in the 30s in favor of freeways should've been shot.

Curt

apostate
Turns out I will be in the area that weekend... I may stop by... I missed registration but evidently it's 35$ at the door...

I'll be sure to bring my camera...

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Me and jindo will be at CGE with BIGPSYCHE and kyosuke75 if they manage to make it here that weekend. If not, most likely we won't be attending.

Curt

apostate
How Many Neo Games are there going to be there?

Am I going to need to bring a wad of cash? *Looks over shoulder*

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
I am 96% sure I'm attending. Should be a hoot. You'd better show up Roger!

With regards to location, over at Digital Press Joe S. is saying that attendance looks to be very good this year in San Jose. I believe part of the reason to move it was cost as SJ is cheaper for conferences I believe.

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
Dean, if I show up, does that I mean I get my modded Duo and those games I wanted to buy from you? :)

I guess I should find out how to get to CGE now. :p

BIG

sony fanboy
Looks like it's up to about 95% for me,too.

Unless Kyosuke75 changes his mind teh last minute...:crying:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
300wins said:
Dean, if I show up, does that I mean I get my modded Duo and those games I wanted to buy from you? :)

I guess I should find out how to get to CGE now. :p

Maybe even before then...... :)

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Nah, I'm out. Once They announced that it was moving to Csali I said "fuck it". between hauling my ass across the country and spending hundreds more than I did in vegas for no reason at all (and loosing that vegas atmosphere which is fun on a trip) I decided I would wait for the results of this years show and try it next time. Plus I have always disliked most of the people i have met from cali. I always thought my home state was one of (if not) the worst the this country but it seems pretty clear that we lost the top spot some time ago (sorry if I offend).
When is the show anyway, I have not really paid attention to it at all.

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
ORPHEUS said:
Plus I have always disliked most of the people i have met from cali. I always thought my home state was one of (if not) the worst the this country but it seems pretty clear that we lost the top spot some time ago (sorry if I offend).

Wow Mitch, that's great. Glad I'm not from California, just living here. At least you're sorry that you offend a whole state. Whatcha think about MN? Or the state of France?

On topic: are there any other plans for this show? Gatherings?

Also, if you kids want something to do while in the area, it ain't that far to San Francisco from SJ. Maximum 1 hour drive. Just avoid the Castro if you're sensitive.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
Wow Mitch, that's great. Glad I'm not from California, just living here. At least you're sorry that you offend a whole state. Whatcha think about MN? Or the state of France?

Yeah, I know. sorry bout that. But I have never been so sickened by people in my life. The only reason I commented on it was becasue the new location kinda turned me off. not only becasue of the increased cost, loss of atmosphere, etc but becasue I questioned if the attendance would be as diverse as it was when I was there a few years back. I mean, I will FULLY admit that my home state has some of the worst people that you can meet but most of the exposure I have had of cali and thier people blew my fucking mind. even the good ones I have met have said that i am on the money with what I think of them. I will say that I can't comment on the ENTIRE state as it is so large and contains so many (different) areas.
all I know is: only place where women will stop you in the middle of a conversation to ask you what type of car you drive... and then ask you what year so that they can feel out how much you got in your wallet.

anyway, I hope you all have a good time at the CGE. let us all know how it turns out . Pic's would be great.

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
Pretty offended, I've lived in Cali for about 18 years of my life, and have met my lifelong friends, girlfriend, and some really great people...

Such a unfair generalization for the MOST POPULATED STATE IN THE UNION!

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
CurtWRX said:
Pretty offended, I've lived in Cali for about 18 years of my life, and have met my lifelong friends, girlfriend, and some really great people...

Such a unfair generalization for the MOST POPULATED STATE IN THE UNION!

please read my last post. as I said, I cannot comment on the entire state, but I have alot to go in general. It's not like I hold a grudge against the state of california, hell I bash my own home state ( the 5 boroughs and long island moreso) as it's probably right up there as well.

Mystic_flame

Zero's Tailor
ORPHEUS said:
Yeah, I know. sorry bout that. But I have never been so sickened by people in my life. I mean, I will FULLY admit that my home state has some of the worst people that you can meet but most of the exposure I have had of cali and thier people blew my fucking mind. even the good ones I have met have said that i am on the money with what I think of them. I will say that I can't comment on the ENTIRE state as it is so large and contains so many (different) areas.
all I know is: only place where women will stop you in the middle of a conversation to ask you what type of car you drive... and then ask you what year so that they can feel out how much you got in your wallet.

anyway, I hope you all have a good time at the CGE. let us all know how it turns out . Pic's would be great.

*LOL*
I never had that problem. All I did was wear a Tee Shirt and Jeans so they automatically thought I was a heroin addict. That totally wiped out all my lady troubles.

I get what you are saying though. When I was there in January I saw bums riddled all over the place...even in the rich neighborhoods of LA. That blew my mind. I am originally from NYC much like you. I am pretty disgusted by our own also, but atleast NYCers are more realistic about saying FUCK YOU right to your face. In Cali I noticed they smile at you and hold a nice converstation. They wait till you turn you back and they "TRYS TO STEAL THE PRECIOUS"...err...I mean stabs you in the back. My sister lives there and I wonder how she can stand the pretentiousness of LA. I couldnt handle it.

The CGE might still be fun to go to, but too bad I dont have the time nor money right now. Everything went to rent. Theres always next year.

Curt

apostate
ORPHEUS said:
please read my last post. as I said, I cannot comment on the entire state, but I have alot to go in general. It's not like I hold a grudge against the state of california, hell I bash my own home state ( the 5 boroughs and long island moreso) as it's probably right up there as well.

Fair Enough...

I look forward to going to CGE...

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
ORPHEUS said:
Yeah, I know. sorry bout that. But I have never been so sickened by people in my life. The only reason I commented on it was becasue the new location kinda turned me off. not only becasue of the increased cost, loss of atmosphere, etc but becasue I questioned if the attendance would be as diverse as it was when I was there a few years back. I mean, I will FULLY admit that my home state has some of the worst people that you can meet but most of the exposure I have had of cali and thier people blew my fucking mind. even the good ones I have met have said that i am on the money with what I think of them. I will say that I can't comment on the ENTIRE state as it is so large and contains so many (different) areas.

I think you mean Southern California, don't you? NorCal ain't like that.

Still wondering about a gathering place of some kind so I can actually figure out who the NG.commies are.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:
I think you mean Southern California, don't you? NorCal ain't like that.

Still wondering about a gathering place of some kind so I can actually figure out who the NG.commies are.

YES! So cal. thats it!.
My good friend used to live in there and he told me about that whole deal with the women asking about what cars peopl drove and such.
got alot of bad feedback about L.A. too.
I do know that most of the members here are northern cali so i hope I did not offend.

Annyway, on topic: sseing as there probably won't be (much of) any neo at all at the show let me ask you: what are you most excited to see at the show?

- the large selection of classic, dediceted cabs.

- new titles being released for some of your faorite classic systems

- rare and one of a kind prototypes, games and other hardware, accessories etc from the classic history of gaming in the museum.

- Or something else.

For me, my favorite thing was being introduced to the world of the Vectrex. I can't wait to pick one up later on. That is a truly kick ass (and uber nerdy) piece of gaming hardware.