let me introduce myself.

phil_fish

n00b
hello everybody.
im new here. my name is Phil.

i just recently discovered the wonderful world of SNK gaming after getting my first taste of metal slug 3 on xbox. since then i downloaded a couple of roms and must say that i now want the full experience.

so i started looking around. MVS+supergun? AES? AES+phantom? MVS+cab? so much possible alternatives. so little money.

so i deceided i wanted a cab. a big beutiful red cab. one slot, 2 slots i dont care. as long as it lets me play MVS carts standing up. the mvs+supergun things looks just too complicated and costly for me. and the phantom? i heard it had problem with games with scalling graphics.

so again, i started looking around. i found an arcade machiner seller in my region (montreal). the guy was asking 995$ canadian dollars for a used one slot. is that normal? i find it a bit exagerated.

so heres my question. how exactly do you get a CAB, and how much should i be prepared to pay for it?

thanks alot.

EDIT: i meant 995$, not 99%.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
phil_fish said:
hello everybody.
im new here. my name is Phil.

i just recently discovered the wonderful world of SNK gaming after getting my first taste of metal slug 3 on xbox. since then i downloaded a couple of roms and must say that i now want the full experience.

so i started looking around. MVS+supergun? AES? AES+phantom? MVS+cab? so much possible alternatives. so little money.

so i deceided i wanted a cab. a big beutiful red cab. one slot, 2 slots i dont care. as long as it lets me play MVS carts standing up. the mvs+supergun things looks just too complicated and costly for me. and the phantom? i heard it had problem with games with scalling graphics.

so again, i started looking around. i found an arcade machiner seller in my region (montreal). the guy was asking 99% canadian dollars for a used one slot. is that normal? i find it a bit exagerated.

so heres my question. how exactly do you get a CAB, and how much should i be prepared to pay for it?

thanks alot.

you've done some good research

try to find a cab locally

go to old arcades, go through the yellow pages

I found one at a Little Ceasers, but I don't have the room for it, so I didn't buy it

you can get a Mas Supernova system, which comes with two sticks at: http://www.massystems.com/

and buy a 1 slot and you'll be set

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Welcome

and don't forget to take a pass through the Tech Forums for lots of good information...it's also the best place to ask questions about which hardware choices would be best for you...

omnedon

Astra Superstar
There is Canadian VG forum here too www.cgcc.ca . Many Neo users there, cab, CD, AES. All types. If you want to be able to source locally, it can't hurt to network locally as well.

Curt

apostate
This is a good post... aside from the mention of..... :eye: :eye: Teh Romz...

Welcome....

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Welcome aboard, sir!

It's always good to hear that new people are still falling in love with the Neo. Metal Slug 3 is a great game, but it's really just the tip of the iceberg. There are tons of great games on the Neo (and I mean that literally, these fucking carts are heavy :) ). Anyway, I don't have a huge problem with people playing roms if they plan on buying the real thing. I will say this though - make sure you don't blow off a game just because you don't like the way the rom plays. Playing it on the actual system can be quite a different experience. Anyway, good luck and happy hunting with your cab.

Pricing for a cab varies considerably, as they can be found for anywhere from around a hundred bucks or so, to upwards of a thousand. Look to spend at least a few hundred for a nice cab.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
phil_fish said:
so again, i started looking around. i found an arcade machiner seller in my region (montreal). the guy was asking 99% canadian dollars for a used one slot. is that normal? i find it a bit exagerated.

You mean CAN$99?? That's a really nice price.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Welcome to the board, Phil! It sounds like you're of to a good start. :) You also posted your introduction in the right forum, which most newcomers fail to do. I believe your stay here will be a pleasant one. :)

buster_broon

The Rock,
CurtWRX said:
This is a good post... aside from the mention of..... :eye: :eye: Teh Romz...Welcome....

guess this is why we dont get many visitors - the elitism

he states he had some now he wants the real thing - that takes guts considering most prefer just to stick to teh romz

i use romz and probably 90 percent of the forums use romz

H Y P O C R I T E thats to the majority who say romz are the devil and probably have at least 1 rom on their computer or xbox

btw welcome - decent choice nice to see some new interesting members around here ;)

phil_fish

n00b
buster_broon said:
guess this is why we dont get many visitors - the elitism

he states he had some now he wants the real thing - that takes guts considering most prefer just to stick to teh romz

i use romz and probably 90 percent of the forums use romz

H Y P O C R I T E thats to the majority who say romz are the devil and probably have at least 1 rom on their computer or xbox

btw welcome - decent choice nice to see some new interesting members around here ;)

yeah thanks. seing how the whole SNK gaming things looks incredibly costly compared to «mainstream» gaming. i wasnt just gonna dish out 1000s of dollars and then realise i didnt like it. had to testdrive it.

buster_broon

The Rock,
phil_fish said:
i wasnt just gonna dish out 1000s of dollars and then realise i didnt like it. had to testdrive it.

thats what most members do fella - then they tell us they delete the rom from their hard drive yeah right

i've done it for years and i still do it

as for games - once you get your cab/supergun set up you must get the slugs, garou densetsu, samurai spirits, kof series of games

but before all that WINDJAMMERS - best game around

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
phil_fish said:
shit... i meant 995$ how did that get passed me.

Yeah, that's a little ridiculous. I'd keep shopping around if I were you.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Welcome aboard!

You mentioned you want a 1-slot or 2 (either would be fine). I will assume you want more than 1 or 2 games. So what will you do with the other games waiting to be played? Will they just stack up in a corner or in a box/ tupper ware?

Nah, how about you make your carts look just as pretty and expensive as the AES counterpart? ENTER: THE SHOCK-BOX!

If you want to know about shock-boxes go here

There is currently a pre-order going on (good timing on your part) for fresh new boxes (much cheaper than market price).
Details here

That covers the box. Let's move on to INSERTS! Here are some good links to get you started:
Nickthefury's Homebrew Insert Site (Pioneer in MVS inserts)
Crazearcade (All of my original stuff is located here)
Kazuya's NeoGeoForLife Insert Section
The Classic-Shock (My little re-worked insert site)
Buttasuperb's insert site (One of the best SVC inserts available)
icez's inserts (under18 beware the kof98 Hentai version)

If you ever feel the urge to create your own inserts for your games, please share your work with us all. We hang out at the creative forum here

I just got started in April and its been fun as hell, I hope your enjoy your journey as much as I am. Welcome once again!

NeoCverA

phil_fish

n00b
buster_broon said:
thats what most members do fella - then they tell us they delete the rom from their hard drive yeah right

i've done it for years and i still do it

as for games - once you get your cab/supergun set up you must get the slugs, garou densetsu, samurai spirits, kof series of games

but before all that WINDJAMMERS - best game around

oh yeah?never heard of that one.
ill google it right now.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
Yeah there is nothing like owning your own arcade cabinet. I went for the Candy cabinets (sit down style). I love em! JUst make sure the monitor has no burn in and that the control panel is in great shape. For that kind of money, it should be in excellent condition.

GAMEFAN

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
welcome aboard mate!

dont forget to try

samurai showdown 2
last blade
mark of the wolves
kof 98

We gotta reference phil_fish 's thread to any future noob on how to make an entrance the right way.

Welcome to teh boahdz dood where U wi11 13@RN a whole new language, and will come back for teh dramah always.

Oh, don't forget to give the Neostore some business once in a while too :)