kof hi-res sprites?¿

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
According to some folks at MMCafe, the likely hood of it being a joke or real is pretty even.

These little articles are meant to be Shingo and Saiyshu harrassing an SNKP employee or something, and something is mentioned, along with those pictures, about a possibly high(er) resolution remake of KOF '94 to celebrate the 10th anniversary.

p03_atena02.jpg

p03_atena03.jpg

I'm leaning on it being a joke, as the size of the pixels in different parts of the image are clearly different. The shading also retains its dirty look, which I figure they would've cleared up a bit having learned a thing or two more about shading in the past 10 years. :p

It looks to me like they just ran the old sprite through a graphical blitter similar to those that you find in emulators, and then just manually touched up certain parts like Athena's mouth and eyes. It just looks too blurry for it to be a normal retouch job. Also, for a high-res job, the resolution still looks surprisingly low. It doesn't even look 640*480 quality to me.

I would figure that if its going to be a true remake, everything non-graphical would remain identical, with the possibly exception of the removal of some infinites and control tweaking. I don't think it would be a particularly good idea to do, as the game would have nothing more than a "been there, done that" feel in the arcade and would feel extremely remedial when compared to any of its successive chapters. It would be nice as a bonus for a console port something, but as a stand alone product.....I dunno. :\

If Dash No Chris, or one of the other nice fellows that can translate for us could clear this up, it'd be mighty spiff. ;)

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
welcome to 2 or 3 weeks ago

that shingo / saishu page has been up for a while now

a joke?

well,i wouldnt joke on that

you dont joke about bombs in airports and new sprites for the ps2 port of kof 94

not only that

they also mentions new bgs

but its playmore,so yeah,its probably a joke

if they re-use sprites for neowave and kof 2004

why should they create at least 24 new high rez!!1! ones for a port of a 10 years old game?

doesnt make sense

so maybe they arent joking

confusing eh?

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's not just the same sprite treatment that they gave to the KOF01 PS2 sprites and bgs? I don't have the game - only played it - so anyone can confirm?

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
its a hypothetical conversation between an snkp employee (red) and shingo and saishu. they are talking about what the fans have requested be done to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of kof.

they say that some ppl have asked for a game with everyone and a bunch of other things but the biggest/most popular request has been for a remake of kof94 with better graphics, a data collection, arranged music, new bgs, character select, including a rereleased neocd controller (basically they are playing down requests by hinting at the impossibility of such things).

saishu and shingo are on the side of the fans but the employee is trying to tell them that their most wanted request (graphic update) is impossible. shingo "apparently" got the pics off a development computer. the employee goes on to say that redrawing sprites involves hundreds of frames for each single character (so several thousand is what hes hinting at) and that it is not possible given staff and other factors (he says hell get fired if he agrees to that proposal, he is talking with shingo and saishu to come to a decision as to what to do for the anniversary apparently).

shingo and saishu say that on such a momentous occasion that the company should do "anything" the fans ask for, which means basically the graphical update plus the bulk of the other requests.

the chat finishes with a narration wondering whether the employee will get out of this or get himself in trouble. the next talk (no.4 in the series) will b "how does n'san get out of this", so the continuation basically....

they are trying the indirect approach to "there is no way we can do a graphic update" basicallly. its not a joke.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
beelzebubble said:
its a hypothetical conversation between an snkp employee (red) and shingo and saishu. they are talking about what the fans have requested be done to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of kof.

they say that some ppl have asked for a game with everyone and a bunch of other things but the biggest/most popular request has been for a remake of kof94 with better graphics, a data collection, arranged music, new bgs, character select, including a rereleased neocd controller (basically they are playing down requests by hinting at the impossibility of such things).

saishu and shingo are on the side of the fans but the employee is trying to tell them that their most wanted request (graphic update) is impossible. shingo "apparently" got the pics off a development computer. the employee goes on to say that redrawing sprites involves hundreds of frames for each single character (so several thousand is what hes hinting at) and that it is not possible given staff and other factors (he says hell get fired if he agrees to that proposal, he is talking with shingo and saishu to come to a decision as to what to do for the anniversary apparently).

shingo and saishu say that on such a momentous occasion that the company should do "anything" the fans ask for, which means basically the graphical update plus the bulk of the other requests.

the chat finishes with a narration wondering whether the employee will get out of this or get himself in trouble. the next talk (no.4 in the series) will b "how does n'san get out of this", so the continuation basically....

they are trying the indirect approach to "there is no way we can do a graphic update" basicallly. its not a joke.

So you're saying that the possibly of Playmore redrawing the KOF sprites is close to nil? It defeats the purpose of moving to new hardware if you ask me.

It just goes to show you the sad state Playmore is in; they can't even revive their own franchises on new hardware because they lack the manpower to do so. That explains plenty....

Since they killed off the Neo-Geo, I no longer want to see the old sprites from KOF. New hardware support should = updates and redrawn sprites, not rehashed 16-bit material from a system that most people feel is outdated (i.e. SNK included). If you're going to keep things the same and invest so much damn money on something like Atomiswave development, wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money on new cartridge encryption so the Neo-Geo can be revived as a platform? We're not getting anything new otherwise, so why continue to disappoint the fans?

Last edited:

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
seriously, it seems like the point of that whole "discussion" was to poke fun at anything and everything that we as fans may have wanted over the years...I suppose in the next episode of this thing "n-san" will find a long-misplaced memo that was supposed to reintroduce Eiji back into KOF...

"n-san": "So that's where the memo was all those years, oh well I'm sure it was no biggie."

:rolleyes:

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
NeoLord said:
So you're saying that the possibly of Playmore redrawing the KOF sprites is close to nil? It defeats the purpose of moving to new hardware if you ask me.

It just goes to show you the sad state Playmore is in; they can't even revive their own franchises on hardware because they lack the manpower to do so. That explains plenty....

Or they are just nurturing the drama about the possibility, to say that they "will not remake everything, just it, be happy". Or "Oh! we will do it! We are suupacool! Love us!" - but I really doubt it.

They suck.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:

It just goes to show you the sad state Playmore is in; they can't even revive their own franchises on hardware because they lack the manpower to do so. That explains plenty....
It also supports the idea that they didn't move to AW for the technical update, but only for the piracy protection...

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
SouthtownKid said:
It also supports the idea that they didn't move to AW for the technical update, but only for the piracy protection...

It would be the worst move EVAR. make everybody spend extra cash for the same thing.

But it support the idea that they are uncapable to create any new franchise, since they don't have manpower to animate the characters.

KOF "forever" :smirk:

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Verythrax said:
It would be the worst move EVAR. make everybody spend extra cash for the same thing.

But it support the idea that they are uncapable to create any new franchise, since they don't have manpower to animate the characters.

KOF "forever" :smirk:

Exactly! If they lack the resources to update KOF then why did they even leave the Neo-Geo platform? I think South is 100% correct in his assumption; it sounds like SNK converted to Atomiswave so they could save their products from piracy.

Last edited:

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
are people really so naive?

just because 3 guys like hendrix were saying

omg snk isnt creating new sprites coz the neo's 16 bit and outdated !!1! no high rez = lame

it doesnt mean you gotta trust em

new sprites can be created on each and every console known to man,
and yes that DOES include the neo

or maybe you were all asleep when snk was making kof 96,99,gekka 1,motw and so on?

playmore wants to earn money without spending loads of cash to update sprites every damn year

that,and maybe the fact they have a staff of like 20 people or so

and 18 out of those 20 are talentless cunts

because people who want to play 2d games in the year 2004,
arent really going to ignore a new kof or a new mugen game like CFJ because omg they are re-using old sprites !!1!!

so wake up,please

they moved to AW because sammy probably gave playmore mad amounts of Y

and because on the AW games cant be emulated / bootlegged after 16 hours

thats all

if you still want to hope that kof 2004 will be ALL NEW AND HIGH REZ

well,lol,deep shit

2004 is going to be 2003 + maybe 3 or 4 new sprites + some of the old faces

end of the story

* ESAKA - the evil city - everything for kof *

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Fran said:
are people really so naive?

just because 3 guys like hendrix were saying

omg snk isnt creating new sprites coz the neo's 16 bit and outdated !!1! no high rez = lame

it doesnt mean you gotta trust em

new sprites can be created on each and every console known to man,
and yes that DOES include the neo

or maybe you were all asleep when snk was making kof 96,99,gekka 1,motw and so on?

playmore wants to earn money without spending loads of cash to update sprites every damn year

that,and maybe the fact they have a staff of like 20 people or so

and 18 out of those 20 are talentless cunts

because people who want to play 2d games in the year 2004,
arent really going to ignore a new kof or a new mugen game like CFJ because omg they are re-using old sprites !!1!!

so wake up,please

they moved to AW because sammy probably gave playmore mad amounts of Y

and because on the AW games cant be emulated / bootlegged after 16 hours

thats all

if you still want to hope that kof 2004 will be ALL NEW AND HIGH REZ

well,lol,deep shit

2004 is going to be 2003 + maybe 3 or 4 new sprites + some of the old faces

end of the story

* ESAKA - the evil city - everything for kof *

Well said! MOTW proved that graphical updates are possible on the Neo-Geo platform. The graphics are simply unbelievable, and they don't look dated even by today's standards. The Neo-Geo still has plenty of untapped potential-- it just needs the right people to harness it.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Verythrax said:

I´m ashamed to live in the same country as you.

They stay on the Neo = They keep losing money from piracy. It´s that simple. But do the whiny bitches care? No. They don´t give a shit. All they want is "their" MVS or AES games. You people are sad.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
Dio_Brando said:

They stay on the Neo = They keep losing money from piracy. It´s that simple. But do the whiny bitches care? No. They don´t give a shit. All they want is "their" MVS or AES games. You people are sad.

Shame?

Who's talking about shame! Fuck you, we don't need people like you making our country look like shit over all the internet.

Vá se foder.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
they are talking about the anniversary kof thingy right? i think kof04 is a different game and i for one have hopes we'll see an atomiswave look (read improved graphics) for that game. either way with these discussions had a million times maybe we are better off just waiting to see what happens?

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Dio_Brando said:

What kind of biased, half-baked statement is this? SNK would be better off spending their money on enhancing the software encryption in their Neo-Geo cartridges. What century do you think we live in anyway? You people act like it’s impossible to invent new software encryption to protect their software. SNK had the means, but they decided to be lazy about it instead.

Do you even realize how many years it took the underground to effectively emulate the Neo-Geo? You people act like a full-fledge emulator existed days after the machine’s inception. Hell, its not like piracy has been eating a hole in SNK’s wallet for every game they've released; only in the past 4 years has it been anything to be concerned about.

Besides, you're living in a pipedream if you think this will never happen to the Atomiswave. Once these people (i.e. the pirates) figure it out, your lofty argument pertaining to the situation will be refuted.

Last edited:

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto

Overtop Pathfinder
ahmmm , sorry for my sad english level

:blow_top:

this is so frustating ,they´re insulting all us
they´re destroying the name of SNK, this is humiliating
playmore is the most incompetent company of all japan

they "cant" create new sprites??
look at our SNK

samurai shodown 1 = new wngine
samurai shodown 2 = new engine
samurai shodown 3 = new engine

kof 2000 was their worst kof, but it owns all the playmore crap

Playmore are a few vultures that they take advantage of the name of snk,and with the minimum effort extract the major possible benefit

that waits for us? another 3 years with the same sprites , the miser engine of svc chaos with 3 new horrible characters?

i have a desire of cry

please playmore, let snk dies in peace

Fran

today forever
20 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
ahmmm , sorry for my sad english level

:blow_top:

this is so frustating ,they´re insulting all us
they´re destroying the name of SNK, this is humiliating
playmore is the most incompetent company of all japan

they "cant" create new sprites??
look at our SNK

samurai shodown 1 = new wngine
samurai shodown 2 = new engine
samurai shodown 3 = new engine

kof 2000 was their worst kof, but it owns all the playmore crap

Playmore are a few vultures that they take advantage of the name of snk,and with the minimum effort extract the major possible benefit

that waits for us? another 3 years with the same sprites , the miser engine of svc chaos with 3 new horrible characters?

i have a desire of cry

please playmore, let snk dies in peace

i used to think exactly like that,you know

lol,i was thinking that years ago

before the samurai spirits special incident after when hating playmore became fashionable and trendy

but look...no one forced us to buy svcc

and no one's going to order us to buy neowave,yeah?

kof 2001 - 2002 - 2003 are very very good kofs

sure,they arent 99 or 96 technically

but i'm glad playmore / brezza / eolith / sun made them

ok,svcc has got to be the worst fighting game EVER,ok

and rotd and matrimelee are super useless and should have been released in 1993

but think about samurai zero and special

again,very good games

better than nothing,i think

of course,playmore never was and never will be snk

but that goes without saying

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
NeoLord said:
Besides, you're living in a pipedream if you think this will never happen to the Atomiswave. Once these people (i.e. the pirates) figure it out, your lofty argument pertaining to the situation will be refuted.

Sorry, it's you who is dreaming when typing this:

If you're going to keep things the same and invest so much damn money on something like Atomiswave development, wouldn't it make more sense to spend that money on new cartridge encryption so the Neo-Geo can be revived as a platform?

There's no way they can implement new encryptation that lasts more than 2 days against the bootleggers if they are still using the 14 years old MVS hardware. They already tried it with a single pcb in SvC, and new encryptation in KoF 03, and it was futile. Razoola has said many times that the way the hardware is designed, you can just hack the bios to get into the encryptation, which is 16 bits, and nowadays computers can decrypt it in no time.

They might defeat the AW protection in the future, but well, I don't see it coming any time soon. The MVS can't be protected against boots now. The AW can. So they moved to AW. Is it that hard to understand?

Anyway I agree SNKP are a bunch of lazy bastards, and should earn the money they get by doing a FUCKIN' NEW GAME. We'll see what happens with KoF 04. Wake me up when it comes out.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
I'm looking forward to KoF '04 wither way, as long as it doesn't get raped like 2001. I still think 2000 had the best character art, though.

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
NeoLord said:
Exactly! If they lack the resources to update KOF then why did they even leave the Neo-Geo platform? I think South is 100% correct in his assumption; it sounds like SNK converted to Atomiswave so they could save their products from piracy.

It doesn't "sound like". That is the main reason that P left the neo for atomiswave. it's all about the all mighty dollar in business (for worse in this case).

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
Amano Jacu said:
Sorry, it's you who is dreaming when typing this:

There's no way they can implement new encryptation that lasts more than 2 days against the bootleggers if they are still using the 14 years old MVS hardware. They already tried it with a single pcb in SvC, and new encryptation in KoF 03, and it was futile. Razoola has said many times that the way the hardware is designed, you can just hack the bios to get into the encryptation, which is 16 bits, and nowadays computers can decrypt it in no time.

They might defeat the AW protection in the future, but well, I don't see it coming any time soon. The MVS can't be protected against boots now. The AW can. So they moved to AW. Is it that hard to understand?

Anyway I agree SNKP are a bunch of lazy bastards, and should earn the money they get by doing a FUCKIN' NEW GAME. We'll see what happens with KoF 04. Wake me up when it comes out.

I understand perfectly thank you very much. :) It's a matter of principle and how Playmore constantly lies to us. They said the move to Atomiswave would enhance the games, but then we find out it was to protect their IPs from piracy. My arguement has always been that since they're not innovating, they should just thrown in the towel.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
ORPHEUS said:
It doesn't "sound like". That is the main reason that P left the neo for atomiswave. it's all about the all mighty dollar in business (for worse in this case).

Yes, that's ok to change to a more secure hardware, but making the same low-res graphics for a MUCH more powerful hardware is just crazy. We are not talking about ports, but new releases!