Rant About Scratched Off MVS Serials...

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Why did Arcade operators do this? SNK put them on there for a reason! If you were going to scratch them off, couldnt you have at least cut around them with an exacto or something rather than taking any mildly pointy object that was laying around and and gouging out half the label? I actually saw one the other day that was burnt off with a ciggarette! ARRRGGGHHHHH!

While I'm on the subject, is it actually possible to find any Metal Slug MVS cart (1-X) with intact serials? Every time I see them on ebay half the label is missing because they had to gouge out the serial numbers!

Just a little rant from an MVS collector...

Tempest

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
I think mine has the serials, but the label has been ripped in half because of opening and closing it constantly.

Ill6

Marked Wolf
Tempest said:
While I'm on the subject, is it actually possible to find any Metal Slug MVS cart (1-X) with intact serials? Every time I see them on ebay half the label is missing because they had to gouge out the serial numbers!

Just a little rant from an MVS collector...

Tempest

I have all those carts US with serials. In fact I have a spare copy of MS2 if you want it.

Freelancer

Banned
Yep. All my Slugs currently have matching and fully intact serials. Not exactly easy to find in this condition, you gotta have patience! :)

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
i always thought people did this when they were trying to sell stolen goods :tickled:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
You should buy AES games instead, they are usually in good condition as their previous owners care about them.

I have a Metal Slug 1 MVS loose cart with intact serials, but MSX and MS3 have them scratched. Never notice that while I'm playing though.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i have intact serial ms1

not at all bother about serial as long its fully working and authentic

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
It was because when the Arcadeops would buy games, SNK wanted ONLY SNK to sell them. SNK would get pissed when they sold them second hand. They could easily track them and black ball ops who were cutting into their profits by reselling their games.

They could easily scratch the serials, sell them and never worry.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
not at all bother about serial as long its fully working and authentic

I don't know why it bothers me, I guess its the same reason you would never buy an AES cart with big rips in the label. While MVS carts aren't nearly as popular as AES carts, they are collectable to a point. If I'm going to go through the hassle of collecting MVS games I'm going to make sure the labels are as minty as possible.

Tempest

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Tempest said:
I don't know why it bothers me, I guess its the same reason you would never buy an AES cart with big rips in the label. While MVS carts aren't nearly as popular as AES carts, they are collectable to a point. If I'm going to go through the hassle of collecting MVS games I'm going to make sure the labels are as minty as possible.

Tempest

Only major difference being that most AES games went to home users for gaming purposes... MVS was destined to a working life among the arcade ops. They were never meant for the home use, and were to be played in a arcade cabinet... where no one would ever see it. So, I guess I can see why some look like they were used as hockey pucks. They were just a tool to make money, once their use was up, toss it aside.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I understand the rant. When you purchase a games you want it to be as close to mint as possible. Since most sellers of MVS games are operators of some kind, you have ot expect this.

I print out labels made from Supergoose79 and use those. They are in color and look nice in a collection.

GAMEFAN

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I haven't been around this all that much but from what I've observed the in-tact serials whores are the ones that intend to re-sell or make some kind of a profit from their findings.

If you dont intend to sell your games, what's the point of having serials as long as your game is authentic and working?

When there is a difference in price soley based on the condition of the label, I am forced to conclude that the interest in minty shit is to turn a profit in the future.

OmegaSaber

Beast Buster
Yep, do as GameFan says, there's some nice already made homebrew labels, as well as templates to make your own. If it's the dirty/torn label that bothers you, these are an easy solution that will clean your carts up and make them look rather nice.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
NeoCverA said:
If you dont intend to sell your games, what's the point of having serials as long as your game is authentic and working?

For me, it's the same reason that I'm interested in your many terrific shock box inserts - it's the aesthetic appeal of having a nice, clean-looking setup.

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
the bigger question is:

who really cares.

I could care less when they're in my machine.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
c.t.h said:
the bigger question is:

who really cares.

I could care less when they're in my machine.

I'll be putting them in a consolized unit .... so I wouldn't mind them being in nice shape personally. But yeah, if they're going in a cab, it's a moot point unless you've got the collector mentality.

I'm tempted to remove the ugly labels from my MVS carts and replace them with nice custom made ones - problem is that in case you are ever selling a game you will have a hard time convincing that they are actually originals, so I leave them as they are.

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Shit happens...thats just what vendors do. Get use to it! There's plenty of MVS carts without serials...sorry to say!

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
This is the kind of thing I'm talking about:

2a_1_b.JPG

OUCH!

Tempest

Insaneclown

ICP Suxorz
Yeah I know what they look like...but there is a reason why vendors do that. Ask them yourself to find out the truth if you want.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Yeah I know what they look like...but there is a reason why vendors do that. Ask them yourself to find out the truth if you want.

Oh I know why (did SNK REALLY check serial numbers?), but if they were going to do it they could have at least been neat about it. Then again, who knew that people would be buying these things in 10 years?

I'm starting to wonder if ANY arcade operator had a legit copy of Metal Slug...

Tempest

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Tempest said:
Oh I know why (did SNK REALLY check serial numbers?), but if they were going to do it they could have at least been neat about it. Then again, who knew that people would be buying these things in 10 years?

I'm starting to wonder if ANY arcade operator had a legit copy of Metal Slug...

Tempest

Why would they care? Same reason most ops don't keep kit boxes, flyers, stickers, even mini marquees. They didn't care as long as it worked.

Meh, I've got all kits with matching serial numbers so if you don't want scratched off numbers they're findable. 300wins I know has all english carts with serial numbers, patience, just find what you're looking for, its out there.

Tempest

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Meh, I've got all kits with matching serial numbers so if you don't want scratched off numbers they're findable. 300wins I know has all english carts with serial numbers, patience, just find what you're looking for, its out there.

Oh they're out there I'm sure, but I'm simply amazed at the amount of scratched off ones. I guess I'm surprised at how many arcade ops were doing "shady business". Then again, I probably shouldnt be...

Tempest

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Tempest said:
Oh they're out there I'm sure, but I'm simply amazed at the amount of scratched off ones. I guess I'm surprised at how many arcade ops were doing "shady business". Then again, I probably shouldnt be...

Tempest
This issue has been covered before in other threads. It's not "shady business". My understanding from reading previous threads is that the games weren't meant for resale at all, so arcade operators scratched the serials to resell them without the carts being traced to them.

It's the same reason behind Capcom's suicide batteries. Capcom doesn't want a bunch of inexpensive, second hand carts floating around; they want you to buy new from them. If you bought only new MVS carts (which naturally isn't an option for most games anymore), you wouldn't have this problem. Since you buy second hand, you are just as "shady" as the arcade ops.

I have 10 loose carts and 1 kit. Other than the kit, and one loose cart (that stands out because it's the most mangled label I've ever seen -- in fact, it's a mangled repro label over a mangled label), I honestly have no idea which of my carts have serials or not. I just don't care. In fact, I meant to look yesterday when I was first reading this thread, and forgot to. Well, maybe that's a memory problem more than an indicator of caring.