SSV Special Vs. Last Blade 1 or 2 ?

Rocketman

n00b
I've been a long-time Neo Geo game player/owner just like most of you here on the forums. I've played all the Samurai Showdowns (except V & V Special) but I have never been fortunate enought to play any of the Last Blades due to the rarity of the game. Just from the reviews, Last Blade 1 and 2 must be awesome!

I was just wondering if anyone who has played one or both of the last blade games and also has played SSV or SSV Special could comment on which series they prefer and why. Thanks to all that comment.

Please try to keep replies related to the original subject.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
lb is rare? :spock: :spock:

mvs is cheap and plentiful.

edit: i prefer ss games, but lb is still fantastic.

both series are works of art.

lemonflav

Windjammers Wonder
20 Year Member
buttasuperb said:

Agreed.

Personally, I like the characters and art of LB, but the gameplay seems faster in Sam Sho.

i <3 both

Rocketman

n00b
Where I live.......MVS are very rare and if they exist.....the games are old.

I prefer to have an AES version eventhough I know MVS is much cheaper.

daybona

Juz,
Uhhh...Last Blade is better IMO.

Although in all honesty, the games are very different gameplay wise.

The samurai showdown games (at least the earlier ones) are fencing games, ie there are very few combos and defensive play always wins.

Whereas Last Blade is more like KOF with swords, esp. if you are playing in speed mode.

Also, Last Blade always seemed more polished to me but thats just because it was produced at a time when SNK was squeezing more out of the Neo.

Get both eventually, but if I had to own just one, I would go for Last Blade.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Buy LB1 and SS2, play till fingers bleed. Enjoy.

I really want to try SSVS, but I probably won't have the opportunity until the rom appears. My area SUCKS for new Neo releases.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Both LBs are what I consider pinnacles of NG fighting games. SS is an awesome series and certainly put NG on the map as one of the most well-known SNK/NeoGeo fighters. But I prefer LBs for the gameplay, art/graphics and sound.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Last Blade 2.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
out of the two series' I like Last Blade 1 the most.

I find it surprising that no one has bitched about this thread for being in the wrong forum yet.

weird.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
So at the recommendations of 10 people you're ready to drop 400 to 700 bucks just to get ONE of these games? lol

Get the Japanese versions for crying out loud. I bought my LB for 100 dollars shipped and the same guy is selling part 2 in the selling forum for 200 bucks.

I appreciate the LB series way more than SS. I also take LB much more seriously as well. Its combo-heavy, its technically better for tournament play IMO, and it is sheer masterwork.

But SS... the one thing it has over LB... the fun factor. But that's only applying SS2 into the equation. I don't like SS3 that much, and I never played SS4. But after playing some SSVS tonite, I think I am a believer as to how much more fun the fighting engine in SSVS is over the ones in SS1,SS2.

Every NEO owner who appreciates fighting games, particularly weapon-based must own at least 1 LB game if not both. Its par for the course. The LB universe is such a cultured and artistic premise, not to be missed by anyone who would unknowingly end up loving the series if they only got the chance.

And yes, if I had to choose between LB1/2 over SS2/VS... i'd pick an LB. Consider the JP versions on AES... hell the games are japanese enough in content anyway.

Oh I just thought of an analogy:

SS is to Kill Bill
as
LB is to The Last Samurai

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
LB1, classic... SS2... classic. You can't go wrong with either of these titles for sure... SS5S, tragedy ;) Seriously with 1, 2, 3, and 4... who would pick SS5 or SS5S over any of those. As I told my buddy a few days ago, I could give a shit about SS5S, I already have 4 other SS games done right... why waste your time/money unless you have everything else you want. Get LB1 it's the cheaper and my personal favorite out of the two (and I am sure many will agree).

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
LB2 and SS3 in first place.
LB1 ina very close second.
SS 1,2,4 in third.
SS5 way down - good game, but not impressive.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
buttasuperb said:
lb is rare? :spock: :spock:

mvs is cheap and plentiful.

edit: i prefer ss games, but lb is still fantastic.

NEWSFLASH??

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Electroman said:
Every NEO owner who appreciates fighting games, particularly weapon-based must own at least 1 LB game if not both. Its par for the course. The LB universe is such a cultured and artistic premise, not to be missed by anyone who would unknowingly end up loving the series if they only got the chance.

And yes, if I had to choose between LB1/2 over SS2/VS... i'd pick an LB. Consider the JP versions on AES... hell the games are japanese enough in content anyway.

[/B]

oh yes!! so true.
Samurai is great but LB is art... its beautiful and also has a fantastic fighting engine!!