Samurai Showdown 5 Special Review

Rocketman

n00b
I'm sure many of you who have already purchased SS 5 Special will post a review once you receive the game, but I would like to hear feedback on a couple of particular things that hopefully are in the game.

What I would like to know is if this game includes those subtle but really great sound effects like wind blowing, leaves rustling, or any other sounds from the backgrounds natural environments. Also comment on lighting effects if any.

For example, what I'm looking for are things like in SS2.......Hanzo's screen where you can hear the wind blowing or like Genjuro's screen (one of my all-time favorites) with the corn fields in the back and the cool sky & moon, and the lighting effects on the corn blowing in the background...very cool.

Please comment if you can. Thanks.

Ralf501

Crossed Swords Squire
I do know from some the preview videos that the stage in front of Amakusa's castle has an owl hooting in the background with some insects? singing. Sounds like they are in a forest. Very eerie.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Since I was a complete idiot and forgot the Poppy code when I played the game at E3 (and consequently played with Galford 3 times) can someone please confirm that Poppy is in the game :D

<3

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
JFlex said:
I'd like to know if there's an english story line.
I asked the same question in another thread and Southtownkid was kind enough to reply:

SouthtownKid said:
When I played it on the cab in English at E3, there was no story. But keep in mind, being a "Special" game, it's possible there may be no story in the Japanese version either.

it doesn't look good, but a little piece of me is still hoping for a miracle...
:multi_co:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
it doesn't look good, but a little piece of me is still hoping for a miracle...
:multi_co:
Me too... maybe on an X-Box port? I think I'd break down and get a Box if they did. And like Nruva, I forgot the Popy code, so no idea if he's in there. I only played about 3 matches (and 2 of those were me getting whomped), so I'm anxious to hear impressions of the actual game.

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
Does it still have the "rainbow" thingy with Galford and Hanzo?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Eliza said:
Does it still have the "rainbow" thingy with Galford and Hanzo?

That's not a problem with the game code or anything - it's a limitation of your video output type. It's mostly a result of color bleeding, I believe, and it common in composite connections. You should look into an S-video mod if it bothers you.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
ummm its your machine and not the software MAAAM

Eliza

Mickey's Coach
kernow said:
ummm its your machine and not the software MAAAM

Read and you will see that GALFORDO answered the question already...
and the "sir" was used out of respect

Last edited:

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Got my copy today! Will post a review later, but for now, all I'll say is: It's fantastic!!!

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
nruva said:
Verbatum, four simple words:

MOTHER FUCKING POPPY CODE

Yeah, please tell us. I think it's this:

Go to Galford, and push Right-Left-Left-Right-Right-Left-Left-Right and choose him. Did you get Poppy? If not, I'm not a 100 % on the code. I read it in japanese. Don't know about timing, buttons.

And is there an English story mode?

Come on, tell us!

ajsega

Armored Scrum Object
I got the game today as well and I will confirm that there is not an English or Japanese story mode.

I tried the Poppy code that was stated above and it did not work.

Last edited:

thegreathopper

NAM-75 Vet
20 Year Member
good

ajsega said:
I got the game today as well and I will confirm that there is not an English or Japanese story mode.

That is good it drove me mad on samurai 0 with all that dialogue between fights in Jap mode....

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
thegreathopper said:
That is good it drove me mad on samurai 0 with all that dialogue between fights in Jap mode....
That's a unique perspective. I love the story bits in 5. Unfortunately, at the speed they go by, I can only catch 30-40% of what they're saying (but I guess that would add replay value?). I'm sure the US mode goes right to staff roll, but how about the end in JP mode? Is there at least a picture and text, or something? How about the backgrounds: has the akward paralax of SS5 been fixed at all? It also seems weird they'd take Popy back out. Maybe they changed the code?

Time to dig up the old thread talking about the gameplay tweaks from 5 to Special. Besides marginally toning down Yoshitora, I have to see how the others were changed before making a decision.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
ajsega said:

Oh, okay. Then try this. This is another code I've seen about Poppy (in SSV)

Go to Galford and press: Right-Left-Right-Left-Left-Right-Right-Left-Left-Right. Then press any button.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
finngamer said:
Oh, okay. Then try this. This is another code I've seen about Poppy (in SSV)

Go to Galford and press: Right-Left-Right-Left-Left-Right-Right-Left-Left-Right. Then press any button.

I just did it in SS5, it is:

Highlight Galford and press

-> <- <- -> -> <- <- -> A

:D RIGHT LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT LEFT LEFT RIGHT A :D

So, if that doesn't work I am now off to cry, and say screw SS5S ;) Yes, Poppy means that much to me.

ajsega

Armored Scrum Object
nruva said:
I just did it in SS5, it is:

Highlight Galford and press

-> <- <- -> -> <- <- -> A

:D RIGHT LEFT LEFT RIGHT RIGHT LEFT LEFT RIGHT A :D

So, if that doesn't work I am now off to cry, and say screw SS5S ;) Yes, Poppy means that much to me.

I just tried that one and it didn't work. It doesn't look good for Poppy fans unless there is a new code.

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
ajsega said:
I just tried that one and it didn't work. It doesn't look good for Poppy fans unless there is a new code.

Did you try the second code I posted? Post #19?

ajsega

Armored Scrum Object
I tried all three of the codes in arcade, and vs. mode. I had it on Japanese and English settings as well and none of them worked. It might work if you have a bios chip installed. I do not.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
First impressions from the old thread:

Fran said:
- Iggy off the MMCafe boards -

The game is out ! Yippie !
Just a few details I grabbed here and there :
Mizuki is amongst the weakest characters of the game. But hey, the true fans of the series died to use her since SSS so we will use her however.
Suija sama is as strong as ever. The computer can use him and Enja, and he is a true bitch with Enja (he's harder than the bosses : he uses his 3 hit move up to the rokudo without ever missing).
Gedotan is not too much weaken. some of his moves are a bit slower (the spirits, the tongue, the normal C) but the rest is intact, his grab is as awesome as ever, and his flash kick is useful. Mina is still his natural predator, but some of the moves she got toned down affect Gedo a lot (for examble, her down B is a little bit slower, it's possible to roll through it).
Suija sama is awesome.
There are some new voices, for the zetsumei ôgi, but it's interesting to note that the voices were in SS0's rom, but not accessible (if you look into the rom, you could hear some voices that were not used in the game, like those of the 6 girlfriends of Yoshitora for example). Mizuki's voice is all new, I don't know for Amakusa or Zankurô.
The backgrounds are great and numerous, but no one bothered to do a complete list of them. The bosses all have their background, some remixed (Mizuki's is great).
Suijasama's zetsumei ougi is gorgeous. He takes the guy, says "cry for your life", then does ... things, "on second thought... die", then he throws the guy in the air, takes his god-like pose, and there is a blood shower on him.

OH ! and it seems that you can kill people like in the older games, with the body cut in two and the winner covered with blood. AND, but I'm not sure of that, but Rimururu can't do that (none of her moves will really "kill" the guy, even her zetsumei) BUT she may be killable

cant wait to see the game in action and find out if they added at least a couple new animations / moves for the older characters

promising report,though

beelze,please fill us in once you've tried the game in monte :)
and:

beelzebubble said:
* rimururu is powerful and CAN fatality.

* basara's fb is not as effective (the speed and arc has changed slightly) but he can do his air chain attack (fb in the air) and not fear getting run in on and HSed :) so hes more fun

* mizuki's bg is excellent...

* colours of the characters seem to have been changed since the loke test about 2 weeks ago..

* jumping over doesnt leave you super prone anymore which is excellent.. you recover quick enough to LS scramble.

* much easier to pick up and play ss3 or ss4 fav characters and win. this is due to the balancing.
That last point being a huge factor in favor of Special for me, since my favorite in the series so far is SS3.

Can anyone who now owns the game add to this?

finngamer

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I posted the lowdown on the characters in my thread in General Discussion.