Spong interview with SNK Executives

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
There is an interesting article on spong with Yoshihito Koyama and Shinya Morishita that is worth taking a look at for sure:

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?mo...e+Industry+and+the+Problems+with+Sony+America

They talk about several things from 3D to Playstation US to Sammy. The most interesting thing was that they did confirm that the reason they went to the Atomiswave was because of piracy and that they would have stuck with the Neo Geo if they could have protected their games.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
intresting. thanks for the link.

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
Good read, and horrible to hear they would have had no problem continuing on MVS, that sucks. :(

NeoFight said:
Good read, and horrible to hear they would have had no problem continuing on MVS, that sucks. :(

Plus side is graphics should improve. Or they better.

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
samuraiX said:
Plus side is graphics should improve. Or they better.

Well, one of the biggest draws for me to the Neo was the art, the classic 2D and watching them make advancements on the same hardware without upgrading. I didnt need anything more, if I did I guess I would be a ps2 fan or something. GG looks great, yet it I would take a good looking neo game anyday over a high res one.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
"However, won’t most games from here on in be in 3D? With the new focus on current-generation home machines and a fully three dimensional arcade platform, surely the ghost of 2D gaming, powered by the now defunct MVS, has disappeared forever. Surely the next incarnations of Metal Slug, KOF and Samurai will be in 3D? We get a knowing look from both Koyama-san and Morishita-san and at this point, with something of a wink, the interview ends."

I hope they're just reading a little too much into this or something. :oh_no:

JFlex

Marked Wolf
galfordo said:
"However, won’t most games from here on in be in 3D? With the new focus on current-generation home machines and a fully three dimensional arcade platform, surely the ghost of 2D gaming, powered by the now defunct MVS, has disappeared forever. Surely the next incarnations of Metal Slug, KOF and Samurai will be in 3D? We get a knowing look from both Koyama-san and Morishita-san and at this point, with something of a wink, the interview ends."

I hope they're just reading a little too much into this or something. :oh_no:

3D? I hope not. At the very least I'd expect them to cater to both the 3D and 2D markets. Historically, I can't think of any 2D to 3D fighting game success story. Street Fighter Ex was marginally successful, but Capcom always came back to their roots. Sony's hardline on 2D games is a shame. Hopefully, they'll ease up on their portable system.

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
I really can't see them going 100% 3D with their games. We already knew that they were looking to move some of their stuff into 3D and should expect that any game made for the PS specifically will be a 3D game. I would expect to see both 2D and 3D on the AW, and MS and Nintendo systems. I think that there is pleanty of room for both 2D and 3D, I am sure that how well KoF:MI will decide alot for them...

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
I think the 3D comment at the end is meant to be sarcastic.

Even if we simply look at the Atomiswave offerings out already, the emphasis is on 2D gaming (albeit with some 3D splashes thrown in).

SNK/Playmore knows that their 2D games do enormous business in Japan - that's why they can be assured that they'll get a big return on developing three sequels in three established 2D series for the Atomiswave.

A good interview in general, and reinforces the extent of the problem of MVS bootlegging.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
That wink at the end was pretty ambiguous. Metal Slug and Samurai Spirits 6 better fucking not be in full 3D. The fact that the interviewer said "surely they will be in 3D" is somewhat of a bad sign that people are expecting this as a definite change.

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
Great Story

I liked it very much. Very informative :tickled:

Orochi Iori Y said:
There is an interesting article on spong with Yoshihito Koyama and Shinya Morishita that is worth taking a look at for sure:

http://spong.com/detail/news.asp?mo...e+Industry+and+the+Problems+with+Sony+America

They talk about several things from 3D to Playstation US to Sammy. The most interesting thing was that they did confirm that the reason they went to the Atomiswave was because of piracy and that they would have stuck with the Neo Geo if they could have protected their games.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Maybe this is just me, but the segue into the second-last paragraph indicates that some of the series' will remain 2D while they may dabble in 3D with others.

For example, the paragraph before states their confusion over Sony's stance on 2D and essentially reads: They deny quality 2D and approve shitty 3D.

Before conclusions are reached, please keep in mind that I am paraphrasing.

Then they're asked, but won't your next games be in 3D since 2D is dead?
The two gentlemen react with a "I think you know where we stand" wink and a smirk.

So perhaps there will be more 3D King of Fighters, a 3D Fatal Fury/Garou game or even a 3D Metal Slug but they will continue putting out 2D because that's what they want and that's what their fans want.
Besides, putting out a few 3D games, even if they suck, will pull in the mainstream "nu-gaymr" and earn some extra cash for the company. They can then afford to put out the 2D series' that will appeal to a smaller audience - the hardcore - that they know will purchase them.

That's just my opinion, though.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Orochi Iori Y said:

A intresting read thanks for the up date. :buttrock:

Robert

20 Year Member
Although the SNK representatives made it perfectly clear that the embracing of pachinko is essential for the games business to survive, there was an unspoken message shining through – the firm will use these revenues to consolidate and expand its game offerings, both in the arcade and home sectors. Which, as gamers, is exactly what we want to hear.

Amen

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Good read, thanks for sharing.

There are a lot of interesting things in the interview, but this paragraph here deserves to be cut, pasted, framed and bolded:

SPONG SNK interview said:
And on to SNK today, and its rather exciting, if long-overdue hardware upgrade program. In something of a battlecry that will warm the hearts of King of Fighters enthusiasts across the world, according to Koyama-san, there was no gameplay reasoning behind the ditching of the MVS (Multi Video System) and SNK would happily support the platform today and into the future. The problem with the system was that despite its best efforts, SNK just could not protect its development investment from pirates. “There is no reason why the system could not be used now and in the future,” he said. “Our games regularly are in the top earnings chart for the Japanese arcade industry – players can see the gameplay value of what we offer and we have not been held back by the hardware platform we use. The main problem is the pirates.”

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Even better, by friend:

SNK-P executive Koyama-san said:
There is no reason why the [MVS] system could not be used now and in the future. Our games regularly are in the top earnings chart for the Japanese arcade industry – players can see the gameplay value of what we offer and we have not been held back by the hardware platform we use. The main problem is the pirates.

This should be sign-worthy for all of us. :crying:

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Fran said:
see my post ( second one )

romzz

Yeah... ...and it's also about romz, not only about bootlegs. The China pirates he refers to are the Hong Kong warez circles and sites like Emuchina.

Just wanted to add this in regard to the thread in suggestions.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I haven't read the article yet, but....

FUCK EVERYONE WHO ONLY USED ROMS FOR NEO-GEO MVS/NGH RELEASES.

YOU FUCKED US OVER, AND NOW WE ALL HOPE YOUR HAPPY.

:blow_top:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Eurogamer: But once you've got your existing 2D games out of the way, is that the end of 2D for SNK, or are you going to continue using that retro style?

Yoshihito Koyama: We will support both of them, 2D and 3D.

From the Eurogamer interview posted in another thread.

Rang_86

New Challenger
Besides some Hyper 64 junk, (which was an offshoot anyway) I have never seen a company so committed to keeping their series(es) intact. Konami took the true Castlevania franchise into 3D and so have many other companies, which is sad. I got a feeling they will remain true.