Help on understanding the pin-out of a Sega Naomi I/O adaptor

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
It is supposed to convert the Naomi output into JAMMA:

Sega_Jvs.gif

And here it is the pin-out:

http://www.seuservice.com/manuals/KITS/NaomiWD.pdf

My idea is to use it ONLY for controls, as I should have everything else covered.
The only problem is that I am not sure if the Sega I/O need to get power itself. From this manual:

http://www.seuservice.com/manuals/KITS/NaomiWD.pdf

it looks like it needs power in the CN6:

+5V in 1,2
+12V in 3,4
GND in 5,6

Are the 30K, etc. supposed to be values for resistors in ohms to be installed there?

Am I right? Anyway from the picture this CN6 connector looks weird, with like 2 rows of 12 pins, similar to IDE cables.

Can somebody with a Sega I/O try to explain more about how it works? Thanks.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Even though I don't have a Naomi it seems to me that CN6 is the 6-pin white molex to the right of the black connector (and partly hidden by it). The black connector is CN7 (26 pins) and the unlabelled 14-pin connector is for the kick harness (but different from the Capcom kick harness). The numberings 30, 50 etc. are probably just to understand which pin/wire is which (ground is always 50, etc.).

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Yup, everything you say looks correct (as always) and now I understand this much better. I'm just wondering why they couldn't make the diagram more smilar to the real deal. Anyway I've been told somewhere else that the Sega I/O shouldn't need power itself, so things look good.

Thanks for the :help:

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
I've been told somewhere else that the Sega I/O shouldn't need power itself, so things look good.

I don't see how those ICs could work without power: some of them must be responsible for the USB controller encoding.

Pingu

Hardened Shock Trooper
30k 50k etc are just SEGAs weird system for colours. Download a manual for naomi or some old model x board to check wich is wich.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Thanks, but I've never been able to find a Naomi manual for download. Anyway I already figured out what is the "code" from that pin-out.