Neo Geo AES Adaptor Question

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
Well I just got a Neo Geo AES from Japangamesnow, and when I opened it the adaptor that came with it was a SEGA adaptor! What's up with that? I really don't care as long as it will work and won't damage the system. Will it work?

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
is this a master system adapter take a picture

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
NeoSpastika said:
Well I just got a Neo Geo AES from Japangamesnow, and when I opened it the adaptor that came with it was a SEGA adaptor! What's up with that? I really don't care as long as it will work and won't damage the system. Will it work?

Ahh man, thats Fu(k3d up. Even if it works, was it advertised as with Neo-Geo AES adaptor?

Sorry to hear that about JGN though. Lost a bit of credibility with me.

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
F$#& I just tested the system, and it doesn't work even with an AES adaptor that I had. @NeoCverA, what happened to you that they lost credibility. Did you get your money back or stuff excahanged. @Xavier76, It just says Sega adaptor. I can't take a picture as I don't have a digital camera.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
NeoSpastika said:
F$#& I just tested the system, and it doesn't work even with an AES adaptor that I had. @NeoCverA, what happened to you that they lost credibility. Did you get your money back or stuff excahanged. @Xavier76, It just says Sega adaptor. I can't take a picture as I don't have a digital camera.

No im just saying that by sending you a bogus power supply, they lost some credibility with me. What you received made me think less of them.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I dont use an original adapter and it works flawlessly. From what I have heard those SEGA adapters should work.
I have had no problems with japangamesnow, I think they are great.
Was the adapter really advertised as an original adapter? Maybe Ryan from japangamesnow or someone made a simple misstake in that case?
Send them an email and find out? They have allways replied fast on my emails.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NeoSpastika said:
F$#& I just tested the system, and it doesn't work even with an AES adaptor that I had.

The PSU info is written on the label on the bottom of the system:

pro-pow = 5V / 3A
pro-pow2 = pro-pow
pro-pow3 = 7V or more (up to 40V)

Sometimes however the label may not tell the truth (sometimes this is because the bottom shell or even the board was swapped on some systems):

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94615

As you see, to be 100% sure about what PSU is needed by your system you'd have to open it up and check, or have it checked by someone who knows...

As for JGN/rimm_rs, he proved on more than one occasion that he doesn't know shit about PSU issues:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showpost.php?p=867670&postcount=9

(the PSU ad on his site confirms his ignorance in the matter...)

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
If that Sega one doesn't work, you most likely have a dead power adapter or your board needs the 5V version.

When you plug the Sega one in, does the machine power to a odd-colored display (could be flickering too) and doesn't do anything else? If so, unplug it immediately, you need the 5V version.

If you get no response at all, you may want to have someone check the power adapter to see if it's shot. If you have an old model Genesis, you can test with that.

I use a Sega power pack on one of my systems and it has worked fine for years.

Jeff

Last edited:

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
Ok! It was advertised as a replacement adaptor. I just found out. It's no biggie. Anyway the issue now is how to clean the system because it doesn't work even with an AES adaptor that I had lying around. Ryan from JGN said something about using canned air to blow the cart slots. Can anyone confirm this. He also said if the system still doens't work then to return the system to him and he will replace it. Is he trustworthy for me to do that in case it comes to that?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
NeoSpastika said:
Ok! It was advertised as a replacement adaptor. I just found out. It's no biggie. Anyway the issue now is how to clean the system because it doesn't work even with an AES adaptor that I had lying around. Ryan from JGN said something about using canned air to blow the cart slots. Can anyone confirm this. He also said if the system still doens't work then to return the system to him and he will replace it. Is he trustworthy for me to do that in case it comes to that?

Yes Ryan is believable and trustworthy on all accounts.

Temjin

B. Jenet's Firstmate
NeoSpastika said:

Check out this thread about cleaning http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94599

Ryan from JGN is a trustworthy awsome seller. Check the feedback forum for japangamesnow.

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
Ok! Instead of just canned air, can I also use alcohol on the slots of the AES system? Or will that damage the system?

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
NeoSpastika said:
Ok! Instead of just canned air, can I also use alcohol on the slots of the AES system? Or will that damage the system?

Just a question, since you simply said that "it doesn't work". What do you mean exactly? You get nothing at all on screen as if the system were totally off or do you get something (like garbled graphics)? Because if the system gives no sign of life whatever, cleaning the cart slot won't change a damn thing.

NeoSpastika

New Challenger
MKL said:
Just a question, since you simply said that "it doesn't work". What do you mean exactly? You get nothing at all on screen as if the system were totally off or do you get something (like garbled graphics)? Because if the system gives no sign of life whatever, cleaning the cart slot won't change a damn thing.
I get a colored screen like a blue screen or orange or multi-colored one. You know, like when you put the cart incorrectly and you have to put it in a second time and it finally works. Only for me it does it all the time, so it seems to be dirty.

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
My power supply has no writing on it at all, but it works fine. When it has no writing, how can I know if I have an o.k. adapter?