Need help finding RGB traces.NTSC tv

Rang_86

New Challenger
Hi, I need help on a project I'm doing. I want to use my SHARP 13J-M100 Tv (only has RF and composite in) for the MVS's RGBS. I can't find any schematics online and am a little puzzled by the unlabeled circuitry. I want to tap into R, G, and B, and find where sync goes BEFORE the amp's that drive the guns, I think. I know all TVs eventually convert their signals to RGB at a point. I found one large IC on side of PCB (a DIP) "X2933CE" and on the solder side a surface mount one. The PC board attached to back of the filament bulb is labeled with GND, SCREEN, H, RK, GK, BK.

I set the set to a snowy picture and attached a probe to Earth ground and experimented with traces. Tapping RK made the white spots cyan (G+B) and so forth. Tapping SCREEN made some small noise and small sparks jumped and the picture became almost completely black with some white spots. Grounding H did nothing unless I also tapped RK or GK or BK and the screen would become whatever color I touched with a static display, three horizontal stripes of varying brightness of that color. I touched various pins along the IC most had no effect, some mesd up horizontal hold, another made rainbows. I continued until I touvhed the probe to two at once and the TV shut down and would restart for five minutes.

I'm a little scared to monkey around blindly any more.
Any help is appreciated :)

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Rang_86 said:
Hi, I need help on a project I'm doing. I want to use my SHARP 13J-M100 Tv (only has RF and composite in) for the MVS's RGBS. I can't find any schematics online and am a little puzzled by the unlabeled circuitry. I want to tap into R, G, and B, and find where sync goes BEFORE the amp's that drive the guns, I think. I know all TVs eventually convert their signals to RGB at a point. I found one large IC on side of PCB (a DIP) "X2933CE" and on the solder side a surface mount one. The PC board attached to back of the filament bulb is labeled with GND, SCREEN, H, RK, GK, BK.

I set the set to a snowy picture and attached a probe to Earth ground and experimented with traces. Tapping RK made the white spots cyan (G+B) and so forth. Tapping SCREEN made some small noise and small sparks jumped and the picture became almost completely black with some white spots. Grounding H did nothing unless I also tapped RK or GK or BK and the screen would become whatever color I touched with a static display, three horizontal stripes of varying brightness of that color. I touched various pins along the IC most had no effect, some mesd up horizontal hold, another made rainbows. I continued until I touvhed the probe to two at once and the TV shut down and would restart for five minutes.

I'm a little scared to monkey around blindly any more.
Any help is appreciated :)

After that Im suprised the set is still working, amazing.

If the IX2933 is similar to the IX2938 (I imagine it is) the RGB outputs are on pins 42,41 & 40 respectively. There will be 4.7K series resistors off these pins if Im correct. Lift these and introduce the rgb there.

H-sync is pin 1 and V-sync pin 2, they each connect to collectors of NPN sync amp transistors. If all this matches up give it a go.

AV switching is pin 6 (low for AV)

Good luck and dont blame me if you stuff up :make_fac:

Last edited:

ToeJam

Marked Wolf
Any update or screenshots I am very intrigued to see this working. :spock:

Possibly using a NTSC TV as an arcade monitor without a JROK, now that's interesting! :buttrock:

-ToeJam

Rang_86

New Challenger
might take a while....my supergun isn't finished and my PS2 is in pieces, plus i'll need to get a low power iron (40W too hot) and some heat sinks. When I'm done i'll post it though.

Rang_86

New Challenger
ttooddddyy said:
H-sync is pin 1 and V-sync pin 2, they each connect to collectors of NPN sync amp transistors. If all this matches up give it a go.

uh is there anyway to put composite sync to any input on the X2933? Or is there a way to build your own sync stripper/splitter cause3 i can't find any lm1881 at local shops.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
No the IX2938 inputs seperate v and h sync- no composite in. (we need to confirm that we are talking about similar ICs 2933/2938 before proceeding with this- see diagram below)

How old is the set? Im not familiar with the model (being an NTSC TV designed for the US market) I am responsible for tech support of the Sharp product in Papua New Guinea, the company I am with are the appointed Sharp agents here.

The sets I deal with are PAL or multi-system, for the SE Asia-Australian markets.
However the IC you mention I think maybe similar apart from the system switching on the version for this region. Does this match up? If so will make a decent scan of the block and schematic (with some notes) and email it.

IX2938.jpg

Do you have a TB1226 "jungle" IC 801 (56 pin) or something similar on your set.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
ToeJam said:
Any update or screenshots I am very intrigued to see this working. :spock:

Possibly using a NTSC TV as an arcade monitor without a JROK, now that's interesting! :buttrock:

-ToeJam

Its not difficult.(in most cases)

Rang_86

New Challenger
although the numbers on my chip are close the x29333CE is different, it is 56-pin DIP. I tried grounding pins 1 and 2 to see if it would affect the syncs like you said, but it didn't. I experimented some more, nothing I did would affect the picture (when plugged in to my PS2 composite) until I hit one that made the picture go black until I reset it. This is very frustrating.....if anyone has any ideas please share, I'm saving XRGB as a last and very costly resort.