G4 ICONS show on SNK - LA residents can you help?

JustinK

n00b
Hello there! I'm Justin Keeling, editorial manager at G4 media.

We recently returned from SNK's Osaka HQ where we shot some interviews and elements (original art etc) for a 30 minute ICONS special on the history of SNK.

While the company has a rich and fascinating history, it is the fans that have carried the torch through SNK's ups and downs, and have helped define where the company is today. To that end, any SNK show would not be complete without your involvement. And so, I'm putting a call out to you for some help.

We're looking for any SNK collectors in the greater Los Angeles area who can give us access to a large collection of rare games from SNK's history. Everything from arcade to home to portable. We can come to you to shoot some of these elements, or you're welcome to come to us.

These will be used as cutaways and visual cues for games referenced in interviews with SNK staff. Shooting needs to complete within the next two weeks so if you can help, please reply here.

We realise that 30 minutes is a limited time to chronicle SNK's rich history, but with your help feel that the show can come a lot closer to doing the story justice.

Thanks in advance-

Justin Keeling

PS: feel free to add any anecdotes, topic suggestions etc for the show producers in this thread too.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Honestly fly someone to Shawns (the owner of this site) house in Tenn., all the footage you need.

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
This is a great thing that G4 is doing.

I'm sure someone would LOVE to be a part of it.

:buttrock:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I agree with Dash on this, there's a big neo scene in LA but honestly I think you guys need to fly down to Memphis and see Shawn's collection. Not to knock on the LA members but who can deny Shawn's collection as being really frickin' big, eh?

By the way, if the G4 crew features NGF in any sort of positive light, what amount of respect I possibly hold for the company will be shot down. Peon Fagkiss and Priss Gay really should be on there though, as the scum that was one of the first bad names in the scene (along with japhei, Aslan11, etc).

Edit: Jorge c'mon man they're ASKING you! This is when you show pics!

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
You went to SNK Playmore's headquarters...... or the empty building that SNK used to use as a headquarters?

BenimaruN

Overtop Pathfinder
awesome news, if it eventually does happen. i'm a fan of the icons series, and have been wondering if an SNK episode would ever be produced. time to drop some knowledge on teh kiddiez' heads, i look forward to seeing it, too bad time warner cable just ate G4techTV, thanks TWC.

Last edited:

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
I have to agree with the other members, talk to shawn. His collection just floors mine and most of this forum. Oh and it's about time there's a SNK Icons! :D

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Piccolo_DBz said:
I have to agree with the other members, talk to shawn. His collection just floors mine and most of this forum.
Got me beat, and I got a lot for someone my age (IMO at least :P ). Wait that kinda didn't make sense. Yeah Shawn has me beat, let's leave it at that.

OT but whereabouts in Texas are you, DBZ?

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
DanAdamKOF said:
Got me beat, and I got a lot for someone my age (IMO at least :P ). Wait that kinda didn't make sense. Yeah Shawn has me beat, let's leave it at that.

OT but whereabouts in Texas are you, DBZ?

Down in laredo, It's right next to the border of mexico

JFlex

Marked Wolf
This is great. I think an interview with the owner(s) of Neo-Geo.com would be appropriate. It would also be an excellent marketing opportunity. I'm sure a show like ICONS will rejuvinate interest in old and new SNK games alike. At the very least, nostalgia may push people to buy. Increased interest means increased sales, which leads to increased budgets for game development. Shawn, if they invite you to LA....GO! I'll put $5 in the pot towards the purchase of a plane ticket. Who else will chip in, we need to represent!

c.t.h

Maxima's Barber
afaik tooshort has a ton of stuff. i'm not sure if he's in that specific are though.

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Incredible news. Be sure to let us know when the show will be aired! Shawn has all the info you guys need.

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
DanAdamKOF said:
By the way, if the G4 crew features NGF in any sort of positive light

Probably a good idea to explain to them exactly who and what NGF is so they know what to avoid.

Awesome news. But I know we have enough LA members to spare them flying to TN. Make yourselves heard, people!

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Exactly what DashK said. Shawn is responsible for Neo-Geo releases still getting out there as well. It's all thanks to Shawn.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
This is awesome news, I really wish I could see it. We dont get G4 though. I have Grandecommunications and we dont have G4. Any of you Texans willing to send me a tape or somethin after it airs? Im in Corpus Christi.

- or to the editor - Will there be a DVD available of the show?

that would be cool as hell.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
No exceptions. It has to be Shawn, give him his recognition.

Curt

apostate
I'm yet another Neo fan, giving the nod to Shawn.

The Airfare to Memphis Tenessee to See Shawn, the Neostore, and Shawns incredible collection, (don't forget the Neo Geo Audi A4 ;)) will be more than worth it, and please the fans (us).

Also, it might be a interesting place for Shawn to finally reveal his face, On Television ;)

SEE SHAWN!

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
CurtWRX said:
Also, it might be a interesting place for Shawn to finally reveal his face, On Television ;)

Shawn had picts of himself on this site years ago. I guess you missed out :crying:

Curt

apostate
twalden said:
Shawn had picts of himself on this site years ago. I guess you missed out :crying:

Aww... I missed out.

I already know what he looks like though... Geese. ;)