Remove tagging/graffiti from a cab?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone here knows a good way to remove marker graffiti from arcade cabinets without damaging the original finish? I just purchased a Ghosts 'N Goblins cab, and there's some tagging in gold marker on the side of the machine. Seeing as how the machine is dark blue, the gold marker is quite the eye sore. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, thanks to all of you who just helped me this morning with my audio problem. You guys are all life-savers.

gng

gngtag

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
ResOGlas said:
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anyone here knows a good way to remove marker graffiti from arcade cabinets without damaging the original finish? I just purchased a Ghosts 'N Goblins cab, and there's some tagging in gold marker on the side of the machine. Seeing as how the machine is dark blue, the gold marker is quite the eye sore. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, thanks to all of you who just helped me this morning with my audio problem. You guys are all life-savers.

gng

gngtag

Nice Pick....Nice cab... :buttrock:

I'd say,try a pencil eraser.......The bigger ones..(Pink Ones)

.....................................................................................

Man..my brother in Laws cab looks exactly the same to the point of being eerie..
(As if I was looking at his room..He has it in a similar location.)

I almost bought his cab from him but I don't have any room for it..

Oh yea Happy Birthday

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
There are products specially formulated for removal of graffiti (both texter and spray paint), the company Im with distribute a product called Takgraf, which is quite effective.

"Tak Graf 252 is an efficient remover of Graffiti (ink, felt markers, aerosol paint spray residues, cosmetic marks and other nuisance markings) from the interior and exterior surfaces of mass transit vehicles and other surfaces that attract the “Graffiti Artist”.Tak Graf 252 is a formulation which uses no hazardous solvents such as methylene chloride, toluene, methanol, methyl ethyl ketone or xylene. Tak Graf 252 contains no low flash point materials. Flash point is 107oC"

Otherwise
Acetone or terps may be be too potent imho, it will remove the texter but may damage the original colour finish on the lamination skin. So i wouldnt recommend them.

Iso alcohol would be worth a try, it may not be enough of a solvent, but at least its not going to damage/discolour the finish.

Tip: Whatever you use, do a test on an area relatively out of sight (maybe rear bottom corner or on the inside if the cab is finished the same inside) so that if whatever agent you use has an adverse effect on the cab, its not going to end up being an eyesore.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
BTW you have a great looking cab there, is that high score list burn in I see on the monitor CRT :(

BIG

sony fanboy
Oh shit..

Where did you get that cab from,Res0?

I think I know who the perpetrator is....:eek:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
B.I.GPSYCHE said:
Oh shit..

Where did you get that cab from,Res0?

I think I know who the perpetrator is....:eek:

Hahahaha! I just bought it from the Fun Factory arcade on Redondo Pier. I've played that machine since I was a Kid. Sooooooo, You know "Oesa" or whatever his name is??

...Please tell him that i'm taking his kidney..........Unless he's bigger and meaner than I am... In that case, wish him a good day for me, lol.

Last edited:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
BTW you have a great looking cab there, is that high score list burn in I see on the monitor CRT :(

Yeah, that is a little burn in. It's not too bad though, well, not bad enough to shell out the cash to replace the monitor or rejuvinate the CRT.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Rejuvinating will not get rid of the burn in, it really needs a new CRT, they are relatively cheap (compared to a complete CRT-Monitor board combi)
You may need someone with experience in this field to set it up though, unless you can pick one up with the deflection yoke and purity/convergence rings fitted and aligned. If youve got used to it its not a problem- wish I hadnt mentioned it now, you will be looking for it all the time :oh_no:

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I just removed the Graffiti off the side!! :D

It came right off with a little elbow grease and the aid of WD-40. I figured that I should try some less potent chemicals/cleaners before moving onto alcohol/graffiti remover. The cab now looks awesome and there is no sign of the graffiti or any damage from the cleaning what so ever! Good times my friends, good times.

BIG

sony fanboy
ResOGlas said:
Hahahaha! I just bought it from the Fun Factory arcade on Redondo Pier. I've played that machine since I was a Kid. Sooooooo, You know "Oesa" or whatever his name is??

...Please tell him that i'm taking his kidney..........Unless he's bigger and meaner than I am... In that case, wish him a good day for me, lol.

LOL..

Well,good luck in taking "his" kidney....

"He" is more like "They",as the initials "O.E.S" imply....

Anyhoo,they are based out here in the greater Los Angeles area,so I wonder what they were doing out there in your neck of teh woods.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
B.I.GPSYCHE said:
LOL..

Well,good luck in taking "his" kidney....

"He" is more like "They",as the initials "O.E.S" imply....

Anyhoo,they are based out here in the greater Los Angeles area,so I wonder what they were doing out there in your neck of teh woods.

Obviously they were in my neck of the woods because they had a hankerin' for some Ghosts 'N Goblins!! ;)