Ghosts 'N Goblins - cab help

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Greetings,
I just purchased an old dedicated Ghosts 'N Goblins cab from the local arcade and I need a little help. I've already figured out the Dip setting to turn demo sound off and setting the game to freeplay, but I don't know where the volume adjustment is? The motherboard isn't exactly conveniently located in the cabinet, and it is very hard to reach the areas where the board itself is screwed in. I guess I am just hoping that one of you guys is familiar with this cab enough to know the answer off hand (or simply have a Ghosts 'N Goblins board handy, lol). Thanks in advance

Oh yeah, this is the original Taito/Digital Controls cabinet from 1985, not the later Capcom/Romstar version.

Freelancer

Banned
There should be a white pot on the actual PCB itself.
Turn that to adjust the sound volume.

Freelancer

Banned
GNG.pcb.jpg

The sound volume pots are the two white circular components located in the top right portion of the board in this pic. Turn them like a dial and you should hear the sound increase in volume.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Freelancer said:
There should be a white pot on the actual PCB itself.
Turn that to adjust the sound volume.

Ahhh, a potentiameter! I was feeling all around the sides of the board for a "slider" volume control like on the MVS. I'll check it out immediately. Thanks Freelancer

Freelancer

Banned
ResOGlas said:
Ahhh, a potentiameter! I was feeling all around the sides of the board for a "slider" volume control like on the MVS. I'll check it out immediately. Thanks Freelancer

Anytime man. Most arcade PCB's that I own all use potentiometers for their volume adjustments! :) Only my MV-1F board has the slider mechanism (at least out of the PCB's that I own!).

Congrats on your find and let us know how it goes! ;)

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Mine is the pre-jamma version of the board, but from recent memory, everything aside from the jamma connector looks identical. I'll try it out right now, thanks again.

So, You have a Ghosts 'N Goblins cab too or do you play it in your MVS? Very cool to see that other people still like this game.

Also, my board doesn't save high scores when I turn the machine off. Is this standard or do I need to change a battery/ram in my board or solder a jumper wire?

Freelancer

Banned
ResOGlas said:
Mine is the pre-jamma version of the board, but from recent memory, everything aside from the jamma connector looks identical. I'll try it out right now, thanks again.

So, You have a Ghosts 'N Goblins cab too or do you play it in your MVS? Very cool to see that other people still like this game.

Also, my board doesn't save high scores when I turn the machine off. Is this standard or do I need to change a battery/ram in my board or solder a jumper wire?

I have a few of the older Capcom boards like Black Tiger, GNG, Tiger Road, SF2, etc that I play on my Supergun! :)
From what I recall, the high scores usually clear if you turn the power off. I'm not 100% certain as it's been a while since I've played my Capcom PCB's. I can definitely check tonight...

Asure

Captain Dick,
Yes the highscores clear

All 'older' games clear highscores when you turn them off. They were only held on some williams games / nintendo games that had batteries on them. Modern pcb's almost always save scores/settings.

There is no 'pre jamma' version of GnG. It was never released as a jamma board, it's capcom 28 pin class (looks like jamma, but isnt')

I played this game to death on vacation once. I still remember the enjoyment me and my brother got from it. I tried to get this as my first game, but ended up getting a 'shinobi' pcb instead, that i also played to death another vacation later. Ah.. memories..

Anyway enjoy your GNG! (jump at the crack in the fence after the devil/chest lvl1 to get armour back)

- Alex

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Thanks for all the help guys. I adjusted the the volume just fine, and i'm sure that I won't be pissing the neighbors off as much now, lol.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Donno if this has already been said but there are two pots because one is for the music and the other for the sound effects.