Need help getting into Test Mode (candy cab)

C0ldmud

n00b
Finally registered today after lurking for some time now.. and wanted to say:
Hello to all!

Well since this being the tech section i obviously have a question.. so here it is:
Yesterday i received my super neo 29 with a japanese 4-slot.
It's mean, bad, awesome as hell and all that, however..

The manuals say to press the test button to access the "Test Mode" in which the dip setting can be adjusted..
However when i press it nothing happens, is there some special moment to press it? At startup, or in a certain game?

I do however get this: when no game inserted and pressing the 1P button i get into what the manual says, the "Hardware Test Mode".
Where i can see the grid pattern, and several "small" options, then at the last screen (as i cycle through them with 1P) i get a japanese text screen where i can change some numbers, but nothing like free-play, game settings etc..
This has to be a in different menu right?

Now i have to press the service button for each credit i need, not cool...

So what do you guys think, broken test button, or something stupid on my part?

Thx in advance>

chrispyman

n00b
To get into service mode where you can adjust game settings and such, either push the button inside the cabinet that says "test", or put dip switch 1 into the ON position and powerup the game. You can push the test button to get into service mode at any point while the Neo Geo is on.

If you're pressing the test buton and that isnt working then yeah, you probably have a broken test button. Just turn off the machine, flip dip switch 1 to the ON position and power on. The Dip Switches are a bank of 8 little switches on the motherboard, I think the 4 slots have em located on the side of the board.

Last edited:

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
And if your looking to get free play you won't get it in test menu anyways. It's dip 7 on the actual 4-slot board. All you have to do is flip it down and you good to go.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
chrispyman said:
To get into service mode where you can adjust game settings and such, either push the button inside the cabinet that says "test", or put dip switch 1 into the ON position and powerup the game. You can push the test button to get into service mode at any point while the Neo Geo is on.

If you're pressing the test buton and that isnt working then yeah, you probably have a broken test button. Just turn off the machine, flip dip switch 1 to the ON position and power on. The Dip Switches are a bank of 8 little switches on the motherboard, I think the 4 slots have em located on the side of the board.

Yeah, but some machines to not have a Test button.

My Dynamo doesn't have a Test button, for some inexplicable reason. :envy:

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Hey,

I think that your candy cab is wired up for regular JAMMA and not MVS, there are only a few differences between the two. My Super Neo 29 Candy Cab has a regular JAMMA harness as well and all I did was run a jumper wire between pin 15 to M so I can access the test menu for my 4 slot. It works good and its pretty easy to do. Luckily I had a couple extra JAMMA molex pins that I could use and some wire and a bit of soldering and I was all set. Below is a link describing the difference between the two curtesy of www.Hardmvs.com. I hope this helps. Laters... :smirk:

http://www.hardmvs.com/manuals/Jamma2NeoGeo4SlotPinout.pdf

C0ldmud

n00b
Thanks a lot for the replies guys..

I'll try changing the dips on the board manually to see if i can gain some control over my cab this way.

This would hold me of temporarely, until i try the pin 15 to M wire.
I think mine has the regular JAMMA connector as well.

Thx for the link Seawolf, HardMVS is awesome..