KOF NeoWave loketest in Tokyo!

eight one

Igniz's Servent
It's going through the weekend in Ueno. Specifically, the arcade called Vortex.

I'll try to go sometime. Tsuka, you checkin' this out?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
This one really looked like a 2nd rate hack job, but I'm interested to see how it'll turn out nonetheless.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Dio_Brando said:
Are you posting a report here or in s-c?

Both (duh!).

I created this thread here since I know most of the peeps not far from me.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
Benimaru said:
Try to take some videos and pics. Please :D

There's really no point to it now since there's 10 zillion scans around.

The game comes out really soon anyway.

Don't have your hopes up.:(

Benimaru

King's Dry Cleaner
Yeah I know. You do have a point. The backgrounds looked very out of place with the character sprites. However, I can't blame them for trying.. I just hope future releases envolve redesigned sprites for all characters.

Dazz_Kyo

Goal! Goal! Goal!
I hope it turns out to be a decent fighter. Im not really sold on Maximum Impact.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
eight one said:
It's going through the weekend in Ueno. Specifically, the arcade called Vortex.

I'll try to go sometime. Tsuka, you checkin' this out?

I might be able to go on sunday. I work really close to Ueno.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Benimaru said:
Yeah I know. You do have a point. The backgrounds looked very out of place with the character sprites. However, I can't blame them for trying...

but I still blame them for apparently not trying very hard...it's unbelievably ironic how the 3D game winds up impressing me and the 2D game winds up being the big dissapointment...
*sigh*

well, hopefully they managed to get wind of the fallout over this and will actually get it right next time...

oh, and big thanks to eight-one for offering to keep us updated, regardless of how this game will turn out

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Cool... I'm still looking forward to this game very much, would be awesome if we could see a decent video of it. That and actually playing it of course would tell us alot more than just judging bby the pics.

eight one

Igniz's Servent
I've never been to this arcade before, so I don't know how easy it is to pull of a video.

Had the Chaos Uploader still existed, there would be something on it anyway.

Setsuna1982

World Her,
Dio_Brando said:
Take your head out of your ass.

Now try again.

KOF-NW gfx > Garou & LastBlade gfx together
Dio_Brando = coolest and smartest n-g.com member

now better?

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Setsuna1982 said:
KOF-NW gfx > Garou & LastBlade gfx together
Dio_Brando = coolest and smartest n-g.com member

now better?

C'mon you compared NW to FF1, I don't usually like dio brando's posts, but he did have a point telling you to pull your head out of your ass.

Yes, I think it sucks that they didn't redraw the sprites yet, but let's have some faith that they will. Notice I said YET (above).

;)

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
Just got back from the loketest. I left early, eight one and RBJakeSpecial are still there now.

It was totally bizarre. The BG's, music, character selection screen, health and power meters, and special attacks were all Naomi. The sprites themselves were still MVS.

Some of the alternate character colours were pretty neat. I saw a bright red Andy Bogard, and another character was lime green.

Using the AW-NET card was cool too. You could access the AW mobile site from your cell phone, enter the access code from the back of your card, then register your name. The cabs were hooked up to the 'Net. The next time you stuck your card in the cab to play, your newly registered name would pop up under your health bar. I think you could also use the card to save and then quick select your three team members of choice.

I'm gonna leave the gameplay impressions up to eight one and RBJake, cause I kept getting my ass kicked.

Fat Cat Lim 2

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Interesting, though it would mean that if the cabs are literally hooked up to the Net, then this option will not be available for foreign cabs. -_-; Still, did you manage to get in a word about any extra features available for KOF:NW cabs outside Japan?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
tsukaesugi said:
It was totally bizarre. The BG's, music, character selection screen, health and power meters, and special attacks were all Naomi. The sprites themselves were still MVS.

There's no excuse for this :oh_no: - it's just laziness, pure laziness. This kind of crap will eventually kill the KOF series.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
tsukaesugi said:
It was totally bizarre. The BG's, music, character selection screen, health and power meters, and special attacks were all Naomi.

Special attacks? So they are now "effects" like the ones in CVS and GG? In the shots, they seemed to be the same as the Neo versions...

Thanks for the info.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
Just got back, spent about 3 hours playing and watching with 81, we also got some good Dodonpachi Daioujou in. 81 took the highscore!

KOF Neo wave Impressions.

Graphics-

Backgrounds were beautiful. They seemed to have the kof 98 color pallet (spelling!). The were nicely rendered but INCREDIBLY DULL! There was a little animation here and there, but it just felt really empty and lifeless.

The characters were ok, but there is not a single frame of new animation. EVERYTHING is recycled.

The power bars, character portraits all that stuff looks like SHIT. You've seen the screen shots.

Gameplay-

There are 3 grooves (i dont know what else to call em) you can pick from. I chose the first which was called Super Cancel, it played just like kof 2k2.

From watching other matches it looks like there are a ton of combos, a lot of stuff is simillar to KOF 2k2 combos. Chris is a power house! He has some super cancels that combo a long time and do a lot of damage. Another strong player was Saishyu, he had some REALLY damaging stuff going on.

I played my favorite character Shermie, she's great, and powerful in this version. All of her kof 2k2 grab links seemed to work (light kick hit twice into anything)

Unfortunately I didn't get to play with the other grooves or the extra button. I saw some people do some damaging wire off the wall combos that did some damage.

Overall Feeling-

I liked playing it (im a kof WHORE who likes anything with KOF on it and shermie in it), but I just don't understand the character roster. Anyone who wants to play with these characters can play Kof 98, get the bright atmosphere and animation and have more characters. Sure theres some cool new gameplay elements added in, but I really don't see why this game was made.

I think the AW Net card is exciting, but Kof 2k3 is far more exciting in every catagory. Well..... We still have kof MI and kof 2k4 to look forward to. This is a crazy year for KOF.

Last edited:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
RBJakeSpecial said:
I liked playing it (im a kof WHORE who likes anything with KOF on it and shermie in it)

reckon you could take me on 2k2 or 2k3? :)