sac cart list

Todd

Galford's Armourer
Does anyone know all the sac carts needed for each unreleased game? Any info would be very helpful.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
If you want to see a list that was created by Jeff Kurtz, check out http://nickthfury.cjb.net

Goto the Neo Geo section and pick homae cart conversions (I think)

The list is a basic idea, and there might be a couple issues with some specific games...

Usually WH2 and SS2 are excellent sac carts.

Keith

Ukyo

20 Year Member
Can some one please explain the definition of a sac cart to me. From what I get, this is what you use to play un-released games right? I thought you could use any cart as a sacrafice as long as it had an equal or larger meg count then the MVS you wanted converted..

[This message has been edited by Ukyo (edited August 30, 2000).]

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
That list is all goofed up.

I would NEVER recommend a "wire job" just to save a few bucks. Not to mention, you won't have the correct box type for the inserts.

Man, there is so much wrong info out there.

Dion - "here to help the Neo fans

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Do you want to provide us with a "goof-free" list?

There is nothing wrong with wire-work. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean you have to harp on it or degrade it. I know Chris can do it this way, and most likely still does. Anyone can do the Chip-Swap method.

And, there is nothing wrong with the sac cart class list I created. A lot of people use that list and it saves them a great deal of time and money.

As for inserts/box sizes -- that's a non-issue now as the inserts that I make are created in both sizes now.

Do us all a favor. Unless you can point out specifics in the class list, keep it to yourself.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JMKurtz (edited September 18, 2000).]

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hey Jeff, just saw your post and was wondering . . .

I'm going to be sending you the carts for a Metal Slug conversion shortly. I believe that the Metal Slug insert you designed was for the old style cart box, not the snap case box.

Did you resize the Metal Slug insert for the snap case box? If so, can you tell me where I can find that version? I have some of the new style snap cases (new empties) and want to use one of those for the Metal Slug cart that you convert for me . . .

Thanks in advance for the response!
smile.gif

Dion

Ouch!!

What's the matter Jeff, that litte bit about your goofed up sac list hit a nerve? Wow, what a response. And why?

Both Chris and myself can do the "wire jobs," but we think it's a stupid way to go.

What....to save a few bucks??

The person will then need to spend more money buying the CORRECT box.

It was nothing personal. I was just stating my opinions. Why do you feel the need to act that way? I thought you were bigger than that. I guess not.

Dion - "wire jobs, not for me"

[This message has been edited by Dion (edited September 18, 2000).]

Dion

Wire jobs WILL work, but as I have pointed out, the money the person TRIES to save by using a cheaper (wrong) sac cart will then be spent buying the correct "hard/lock box" for that cart. (if you can find them) They sell for $25 and NGF doesn't have anymore.

It seems all the people that have used the wrong sac carts have come to NGF to buy the correct boxes. When you ad it up, I think using the "wire job" will cost more money in the end (if you buy the correct box).

But I 100% recommend JMKurtz's work.
He is very skilled at Neo cart conversions.

Dion - "why wire?"

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
The first version was for the new style snap boxes. I've since created a larger one for the older style boxes due to demand. Both are available, and you get your pick when you get the game converted.

You should be able to download them from :
http://nickthfury.cjb.net/

I'm not sure of the version up there, but I've since corrected a couple things on it. I'll check to see if it's the old or new one that's up there. If it's the old one, I'll get the new one up there.

Jeff

Originally posted by chimpmeister:
Hey Jeff, just saw your post and was wondering . . .

I'm going to be sending you the carts for a Metal Slug conversion shortly. I believe that the Metal Slug insert you designed was for the old style cart box, not the snap case box.

Did you resize the Metal Slug insert for the snap case box? If so, can you tell me where I can find that version? I have some of the new style snap cases (new empties) and want to use one of those for the Metal Slug cart that you convert for me . . .

Thanks in advance for the response!
smile.gif

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Well, it's the list *I* created and you said it was all goofed up, so yea, I take offense to that. Just let me know what's wrong with the list and I'll look into correcting it. If you're going to criticize, at least justify your statement.

Personally, all of my carts in my collection are done on boards that don't require extra wirework, but that is *my* preference. Using the cheaper sac carts are typically used by people that just want the game to play -- so at least I give them a choice. If they want them for collection value, they spend a little more and get the bigger carts with snap cases. It's up to the person that wants the game, not me, so I don't force them.

If you think my last post was an attack, just forget it. You have no reason to put up a defense. I was just telling you to say what was wrong with the sac list, or don't say anytjing at all.

I actually sent business YOUR way today.

Jeff

Originally posted by Dion:
Ouch!!

What's the matter Jeff, that litte bit about your goofed up sac list hit a nerve? Wow, what a response. And why?

Both Chris and myself can do the "wire jobs," but we think it's a stupid way to go.

What....to save a few bucks??

The person will then need to spend more money buying the CORRECT box.

It was nothing personal. I was just stating my opinions. Why do you feel the need to act that way? I thought you were bigger than that. I guess not.

Dion - "wire jobs, not for me"

[This message has been edited by Dion (edited September 18, 2000).]

Dion

Thanks Jeff.

I know sometimes words can get mixed up "online," that is why I like for all of us to talk over the telephone.

As with you, for my collection I don't and will NEVER use "wire-jobs."
I prefer the ROM chips to be on the correct board......and it gives the correct box for the NGF insert.

Thanks for the business referal, I don't know which person came from you. We get emails daily from word-of-mouth, other referals, and eBay.

Dion

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Hey Jeff, is there something I'm missing here? What do you mean by "you get your pick when you get the game converted"? Is there some reason why I have to choose one way or the other for the converted cart? Don't the converted carts fit in either case style, old or new? Sorry if my questions seem dumb, I've never dealt with a converted cart or gone through the process.
confused.gif

Oh, btw I'd probably provide the Metal Slug MVS cart and an SS2 home cart . . . which I guess is a "wire job". Is that really much less desirable than using a newer cart, larger capacity? Does a "wire job" look different from a "non-wire job"? What is the ideal cart for Metal Slug conversion?

Dion

Put it this way Chimp, if the game is 1995 and newer, and is in a "lock box" then it needs a lock box/1995+ for a "ideal conversion" sac cart.
AND you will get the correct box for the insert (from NGF from $10).

Also, the boards are always being changed to handle the higher capacity ROM chips.
"Wiring" a board is like "forcing" it to work - which is not recommended.

Even Jeff says for his collection, he does NOT have "wired carts." Neither does anyone at NGF.

We use the correct sac carts needed, because it's the right, safer, and better thing to do with less hasles and least amount of forced modification to get the game working.

Using a cheaper "sac cart" will in the end, cost you more and can lead to problems later on (lose wires, etc).

But, if you feel the need to get a "wire job," there is no difference in gameplay.

Dion - "the GOAT"

NGF

NEST Puppet
The ideal cartridge will be a cartridge using generaly the same type of boards.

And easy standard is using the cartridge box/insert type. If the game is in a hard box, then you should use a hard box sac cart.

Basically, all games before 1995 will use a older style/soft box game for sac cart. Games after 1995 will need a hard/lock box type of sac cart.

NGF
www.neogeofreak.com

Mouse_Master

Staff member
Hey Chimp!

What Jeff is saying is that if you want an insert, he might be able to provide you with an insert to fit whichever box you have for your MS. So, if you used a SS2 for the MS conversation, you would have an old style box, and he could provide you with a MS insert to fit into the box. If you used a FF3 for the conversion, you would have a new style box, and he could give you one designed for the new style snap cases...

At least, thats what I think he is saying!

Keith

Adol

The French Connection, ,
Originally posted by Dion:
Put it this way Chimp, if the game is 1995 and newer, and is in a "lock box" then it needs a lock box/1995+ for a "ideal conversion" sac cart.
AND you will get the correct box for the insert (from NGF from $10).

That means you sell new style ( clasp ) boxes for $10 each?are they available?

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Sorry for the confusion... You can pick which size insert you want (or both, I don't care). The one to fit the old style box, or the one to fit the new style box.

The reason mine are not wired is because I stumbled onto a bunch of Kof95 carts about a year ago for dirt cheap (warehouse cleaning deal) and redid my games and sold off the others.

I have no problems using a converted cart that has a couple wires on it, and I have yet to get a single complait from a customer about a cart not working. I don't use Elmer's glue on my conversions
smile.gif

If anyone wants to see a pic of a converted cart using wires, just drop me an e-mail (jmkurtz@macola.com) and I'll send you a scan.

Jeff

Mouse_Master

Staff member
Just remember who put forth the effort to make a sac cart list for EVERYONE to refer to, instead of having people email them in secret!

Kudos go to Jeff Kurtz for doing this. IIRC, this came up between the Neo Geo Homebrew people, I might have asked for a list, and he provided said listing. Then Nick_th_fury offered to give it a home, and here we are today, Many people use this list because it is an EXCELLENT reference.

Someone needs to provide the Neo Geo community with good technical info!
smile.gif

Keith