Any Neo gatherings in Toronto Canada?

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Just wondering if there are any user groups in Toronto or any meetings of any kind... if there are who is responsible or how do i contact the people responsible. thx for any help.

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
No, not really.

Despite the number of Neo gamers in the city (including me when home) nobody really talks to one another or ever sets up meetings.

There was a Neo Summit or so held by !Arcade! a couple years ago but really nothing has happened since. Everyone always disappears when anyone tries to plan a meeting.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
So there is a Neo/Classic scene in Toronto?
Everyone's so damn quiet, I thought it would've been up to me to make some noise if my new wife and I end up moving there.

Neo Bomber Man: When was that summit exactly? What are some of the details that would go into one? Any good stores up in Toronto where some of you frequent, or is everything online?

Hey, I'm just trying to prepare. :)

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
We have quite a lot of Neo fans back home yet nobody congregates at all.

I forget when the summit was, 2000 or 2001 I think. I did not attend and completely forget what went on as I never actually read the report :emb:

There used to be MicroPlays all about, also Chinese places like the Dragon Centre's game store, Video Connection and another place that lined the former East side of the Eaton Centre amongst others but they have all closed, every single one of them.

!Arcade! I think still sells some things however they do not have a walk-in store. www.neogeousa.com is their URL. I did too much selling and was easily the biggest seller in the country although I hadn't a walk-in store either. At the same time I did meet people or have them pick up their games instead of paying postage.

We can try again at some point but honestly don't expect a lot to happen. I used to know a number of KOF hardcore masters but lost touch with them all so bleh. Back to solo gaming.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
The closest came when Argentina94 attempted to organize something last year... but it didn't work out as he had to cancel... :(

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
td741 and Neo Bomber Man: I knew that there were some of us creeping around, but it's too bad that the gatherings haven't worked out.

Also, thanks for the store information, even though they've all pretty much closed up. I do most of my NG business here and online anyway, but I hoped there was a good game shop I could go, check out and actually discuss the industry (old and new) with the people there. :(

wizkid007

20 Year Member
I do believe the one at the dragon center is still around. They deal alot of bootlegs thoug, but there still there. It could be a dif store though.... there is also pacific mall. They hold monthly tourneys there for various games but it is mostly ddr, initial D and if there are enought players... VOOT. Anyways its to bad that nobody gets together.. i have alot to offer in terms of trade... ranging from the odessey all the way up to the new 4 swords on gamecube. And id even venture out to meet people... I mean even a trade event could be good... start out small and work into other things. Build some interest with people and see where it goes. Ill check on the boards later. Night guys

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
I do believe the one at the dragon center is still around. They deal alot of bootlegs thoug, but there still there. It could be a dif store though.... there is also pacific mall. They hold monthly tourneys there for various games but it is mostly ddr, initial D and if there are enought players... VOOT. Anyways its to bad that nobody gets together.. i have alot to offer in terms of trade... ranging from the odessey all the way up to the new 4 swords on gamecube. And id even venture out to meet people... I mean even a trade event could be good... start out small and work into other things. Build some interest with people and see where it goes. Ill check on the boards later. Night guys

Does Pacific Mall carry anything older than, say, mid-nineties?
Should I flat-out avoid Dragon Centre then?
We'll see what happens. I may not even end up in Toronto. If not, screw you guys! :lol: j/k

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
td741 said:
The closest came when Argentina94 attempted to organize something last year... but it didn't work out as he had to cancel... :(

Yeah...that was the last one I was going to go to...other then that, I only see Neo Geo fans in Arcades in the city...

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
If you do something near Vancouver this summer count me on it, but Toronto is just too far, sorry :crying:

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
I think I noticed a new guy on the forums from Vancouver.
Don't remember the thread or name, though.

Wow, what a great deal of help I am. :tickled:

wizkid007

20 Year Member
Man if anyone is serious about organizing something.. just email everybody from the toronto area through a profile search... wouldnt be to hard. (maybe i will do it) hehe :P

wizkid007

20 Year Member
And to answer the question about mid ninties games... i doubt it.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
And to answer the question about mid ninties games... i doubt it.

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure there's got to be something good. Toronto's a big city.
As for a gathering, if I move to T.O., I'm definitely there, guys!

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
GoSpits said:
Does Pacific Mall carry anything older than, say, mid-nineties?
Should I flat-out avoid Dragon Centre then?

A couple years ago my friend bought a LaserActive player there but otherwise basically no. All CD stuff. CD, GD, DVD.

Same thing over at Market Village which used to have a very good gamestore which has now modernized.

The Dragon Centre gamestore still had some old stuff until recently. They remodeled a year or so ago and well, if they have anything fancy you just got lucky. They no longer have that kind of stuff merely lying around. They probably still have some funky joysticks but not all the old amazing hardware & software like before. They even used to have homecarts sitting in the window years ago.

Some of the old MicroPlays still have old games lying about, much like this one independent game store I found somewhere on Queen W between Yonge and... um.. Spadina?

Anyhow not a huge amount left.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
Neo Bomber Man said:
A couple years ago my friend bought a LaserActive player there but otherwise basically no. All CD stuff. CD, GD, DVD.

Same thing over at Market Village which used to have a very good gamestore which has now modernized.

The Dragon Centre gamestore still had some old stuff until recently. They remodeled a year or so ago and well, if they have anything fancy you just got lucky. They no longer have that kind of stuff merely lying around. They probably still have some funky joysticks but not all the old amazing hardware & software like before. They even used to have homecarts sitting in the window years ago.

Some of the old MicroPlays still have old games lying about, much like this one independent game store I found somewhere on Queen W between Yonge and... um.. Spadina?

Anyhow not a huge amount left.

Thanks the the tips. It's worth at least a personal visit, just to see but I'll probably be relying on you guys to help a newcomer to the city. :buttrock:

omnedon

Astra Superstar
Two video game swap meets have been organized and occured in the Ontario area by Tokengamer from here http://www.cgcc.ca/forum/ , and he's working on another right now. I know for a fact at least one forum member from there will be bringing his modded Neo to show there (but not to sell). I know this beacuse I'm modding it up for him. :D

It's NOT a neo specific get together, but a group of area gamers getting together may be a good first step to building a local Neo scene.

Some cgcc member's post here too (like myself), Maxlords, Nexwave, INTVGene and more. I know for a fact those members (and some more) own AES or MVS setups. Plug into that community, and you might be able to make steps towards what you are after.

FYI

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
omnedon said:
Two video game swap meets have been organized and occured in the Ontario area by Tokengamer from here http://www.cgcc.ca/forum/ , and he's working on another right now. I know for a fact at least one forum member from there will be bringing his modded Neo to show there (but not to sell). I know this beacuse I'm modding it up for him. :D

It's NOT a neo specific get together, but a group of area gamers getting together may be a good first step to building a local Neo scene.

Some cgcc member's post here too (like myself), Maxlords, Nexwave, INTVGene and more. I know for a fact those members (and some more) own AES or MVS setups. Plug into that community, and you might be able to make steps towards what you are after.

FYI

Yep, there is at least one more member here who attended, not me though. I could not get out to the meeting that weekend so missed meeting him and Maxlords and possibly making some new acquaintances.

Really our best hope is to rent a room or two and pass out flyers or something. Get to know some people and start having random gatherings whenever. Start up some kind of group because the lot of us are all anti-social to each other it seems. Not that I can help much before Sept. ...

wizkid007

20 Year Member
Yeah there is another being organized... I talked to the guy directly and it is going to be on 22nd of augest. It will be in clarkson... just past mississauga. Over a 100 people showed up last time and there was piles of games everywhere for people to choose from. I wasnt at the last one but ill be at the next one. Here is the link

http://www.thevideogameshow.com/

It isnt updated yet... but will be soon. Just has info on the last show. Anyways if u can make it out to this. >:)

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
wizkid007 said:
Yeah there is another being organized... I talked to the guy directly and it is going to be on 22nd of augest. It will be in clarkson... just past mississauga. Over a 100 people showed up last time and there was piles of games everywhere for people to choose from. I wasnt at the last one but ill be at the next one. Here is the link

http://www.thevideogameshow.com/

It isnt updated yet... but will be soon. Just has info on the last show. Anyways if u can make it out to this. >:)

I've added it to my favourites. If I'm in Toronto, I will likely be there unless the family has something going on (it's either that weekend, or the one before.)

wizkid007

20 Year Member
I tried to find a way of emailing people in regards to this event on the site but there is no way of sorting the people on location. Just the flag and i would say some dont pick a flag. So it is a bit hard... to bad. And the others that i looked at lived way out of ontario.

td741

, NOTE: Please add 16 points to his feedback., --
Just a small note... Don't forget the people that don't live too far from TO. ;) I don't mind a 5 hour busride.

wizkid007

20 Year Member
anybody know of any sites with snk wear or any gaming clothing at all. Sorta hard to find.. im still looking thx

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
td741 said:
Just a small note... Don't forget the people that don't live too far from TO. ;) I don't mind a 5 hour busride.

I hope the Ottawa boys can make it down. Well, for that matter, I hope I can as well.
No matter where I am, I'll be spreading some classic gaming love, though. :buttrock: