English SSV Special classic insert

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
After spending some time with SS5S I have to say that SS5 should have never been released. The tweaks, new backgrounds, characters, fatalities, etc, etc... Everything makes it a better game. I know it is a Special edition, but it makes 5 out to be a joke. The insert is a nice piece of artwork, the final swansong for the Neo home system.... I have to say, it's a fitting end, even for this old jaded fucker who thinks the system should have died with KOF2000... now for the MVS cart to drop in price.

-Nick

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Where did you play SSVS?

nruva said:
After spending some time with SS5S I have to say that SS5 should have never been released. The tweaks, new backgrounds, characters, fatalities, etc, etc... Everything makes it a better game. I know it is a Special edition, but it makes 5 out to be a joke. The insert is a nice piece of artwork, the final swansong for the Neo home system.... I have to say, it's a fitting end, even for this old jaded fucker who thinks the system should have died with KOF2000... now for the MVS cart to drop in price.

-Nick

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
Where did you play SSVS?

Playmore was nice enough to setup a cab at E3, I spent a good hour dealing out some death to all comers ;) I loved it,

-Nick

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Nice. playmore did it right for once. This is going to be a great release.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
In all honesty I think that insert is very ugly.

/me gets the firehose ready. :oh_no:

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
I really like the back of the insert, but the front doesn't do anything for me - looks too much like something I made myself.

Beefjerky, need someone to help douse out the flames? :smirk:

Curt

apostate
I reallly like it... and I think it was a classy move to leave the final AES release (by playmore atleast) "classic"

Very nice... I can't wait to play the damn thing!!!

+ The back of the insert is the best damned insert side i've ever seen from NEO GEO NGH. Its beautiful but classy. Suttle but colorful. Very nice backside!

- While I like the individual portraits, I don't like how SNKP put them in quadrants on the front.
- They should not lay the 708 Megs symbol halfway over the artwork like that. It looks careless.
- In fact I thought I was looking at a mirror image of the insert, I think the portraits should be on the back, and vice versa. Putting portraits on the front? Its like they are showcasing these 4 fighters and leaving every other char in their shadows. Plus this style is just.... unorthodox.
- I never liked the classic layout, much preferred the full-print layout.

First impressions/Overall thoughts:
It may grow on me later but for now, the front is just... creepy. But then again wouldn't you think that this edition with all the really sick ass fatalities and moods that this may be the most creepy edition of SS after all. For some reason the 4 quadrant portrait thing is just wierd and ominous. If these 4 characters are the protagonists of the game (I'm assuming they are), then perhaps its appropriate. Hell i'm looking at it after every couple sentences I write here and each time it is easier on the eyes.

Not bad... maybe good. Opinions subject to change without notice.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
I am quite fond of the traditional grey border a la Fatal Fury Special.

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
looks nice to me.. nice layout.

the back is the poster for the game they have in arcades here. there is one on the front of monte carlo that i was very tempted to steal :)

winter

King's Dry Cleaner
Kinda looks like Samurai Shodown: The Charley's Angels version. It looks, meh... :rolleyes:

Makismo

Ghost of Captain Kidd
You know, if this games says that it is 708 megs then Samurai Shodown 5 is nowhere near 708 megs. I wish that Playmore would tell us the actual meg count instead of telling us how big the ROM chips are. I think that it is kind of misleading. It makes us think that the games are bigger than they appear to be. It would be nice to know the actual meg count for the games. Oh well...

Anyway, I like the insert design for this game but I think that I liked the front cover artwork better for Samurai Shodown 5. It looks pretty good but I still think that Samurai Shodown 2 had the best cover art in the Samurai Shodown series.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Reminds me of the Matrix Revolutions box art, which is to say, shitty.

I want the MVS kit as well :(

SNKJorge

HERE, read and shut up.

"Concerning the MEG count size of 708 for the fourth time:
You may have noticed that several of the previous home cart releases (MS5, SVC, SSV) also displayed 708 for MEG count. This is because they all have 708 MEGs worth of ROM chips on board. However, actual usage of these chips does vary. For example, SSVS’s actual MEG count is 600+ with actual used MEG count naturally being > SSV."

Makismo said:
You know, if this games says that it is 708 megs then Samurai Shodown 5 is nowhere near 708 megs. I wish that Playmore would tell us the actual meg count instead of telling us how big the ROM chips are. I think that it is kind of misleading. It makes us think that the games are bigger than they appear to be. It would be nice to know the actual meg count for the games. Oh well...

Anyway, I like the insert design for this game but I think that I liked the front cover artwork better for Samurai Shodown 5. It looks pretty good but I still think that Samurai Shodown 2 had the best cover art in the Samurai Shodown series.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I think this is one of the best insert's released within the last 3 years. Beautiful work. Very different, but very appealing.

SSV insert

:multi_co: it looks pretty good. can't wait to play this in arcade? speaking of arcade is arcade for SSV special is out? or it's only for AES? :help:

SNKJorge

wolf6162001 said:
:multi_co: it looks pretty good. can't wait to play this in arcade? speaking of arcade is arcade for SSV special is out? or it's only for AES? :help:

The MVS version has already been released in Japan.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
The MVS version has already been released in Japan.

Yeah, so I guess the question is whether or not we'll see an English kit release. I can't understand why we wouldn't.

SNKJorge

galfordo said:
Yeah, so I guess the question is whether or not we'll see an English kit release. I can't understand why we wouldn't.

who knows, but most likely?