Detecting bootleg MVS carts

chrispyman

n00b
Anyone care to help this newbie compare bootleg carts to authentic ones? I only ask because I seem to have gotten an obvious Neo Bomberman bootleg that has socketed EPROMS and recently stopped working. After opening up my other 3 MVS games I found that Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble also had EPROMS. So do the presence of EPROMS always indicate a bootleg game or were there some authentic games that came on EPROMS?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
chrispyman said:
Anyone care to help this newbie compare bootleg carts to authentic ones? I only ask because I seem to have gotten an obvious Neo Bomberman bootleg that has socketed EPROMS and recently stopped working. After opening up my other 3 MVS games I found that Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble also had EPROMS. So do the presence of EPROMS always indicate a bootleg game or were there some authentic games that came on EPROMS?

"were there some authentic games that came on EPROMS?"[/

Yes..

You may have a legit BAM/PB...from what is known about them at this site..

socketed EPROMS... hmmm...

Can you take picture of the boards for comparison..?

If you can and email them to me I'll host-post them for you..

chrispyman

n00b
Below are my Bust A Move and Neo Bomberman pics. I *think* the Bust A Move is legit after looking at this thread . As for my Neo Bomberman, it almost looks like someone took some a legit MVS cart (any clue what game?) and reburnt Neo Bomberman roms. Also, anyone know where to get legit MVS carts... eBay just seems so hit and miss as far as good legit carts.

Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble:
bustamovepcb.jpg

Neo Bomberman:
neobombermanpcb.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:
Puzzle Bobble is legit, Bomberman is a conversion boot.

Bomberman is a conversion boot..

I'd like to learn about this for my own knowledge..I really don't understand what conversion boot means in MVS to MVS..
Please explain what was done to create this..

What chips are legit on that cart or that have been there....or have all the chips been put on that cart?..

Do some of those chips actully come on real carts besides the EPROMS..?

Would you say that a conversion boot will last longer or will work better..?

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
On that one it appears that all of the ROMs have been repelaced with Flash ROMs, the other stuff looks original. Provided the Flash chips are of decent quality, the soldering is decent, and if the Flash chips were programmed right, it should be 100% identical to an original.

As for it lasting longer than a completely new 100% bootleg cart(PCB's and all) depends on the build quality. Some bootlegs are actually built reasonably well, but of course, others hardly work.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Reznor007 said:
On that one it appears that all of the ROMs have been repelaced with Flash ROMs, the other stuff looks original. Provided the Flash chips are of decent quality, the soldering is decent, and if the Flash chips were programmed right, it should be 100% identical to an original.

As for it lasting longer than a completely new 100% bootleg cart(PCB's and all) depends on the build quality. Some bootlegs are actually built reasonably well, but of course, others hardly work.

Thank you Reznor007...