Psx-namco Joystick on supergun 15 pin port

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Hi,
I'm wondering if is possible hook a psx joystick/pad to the jamma harness, I want to build a supegun with the Namco joystick for psx (the grey one with yellow buttons... absolutely my favorite!) without cut the connector!
Nice to know also where to find the spares (ie the female psx connector..!)
Thanks everyone.

Massi

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
You don't need a female PSX conector, what you need is a female DB15 cable, like the one the Neo uses, and solder the wires from it directly to the microswitches of the stick, following the Neo Geo pin-out.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
Then you take the PCB that's inside the stick and make an adapter to keep it PSX-compatible.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
you cuould also use a ne0->psx connector.....

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Thanks for the advices, but rip-off a good stick by this way is not what I need.
As I said, I would hook the stick without cuttings.
It's more about how to make the supergun Psx-compatible.

Thanks anyway, somewhere I hope I'll find scheme and spares.

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=180&products_id=3707&

Just wire up a Dsub 15 with a neo pinout on your supergun, then use this converter to allow your stick to work on it....

Yeah, I was thinking of that too since Neo compatibility also means supergun compatibility. However, if that adapter is made for the Neo it will probably only support 4 buttons while the Namco stick has 6.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
norton9478 said:
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=180&products_id=3707&

Just wire up a Dsub 15 with a neo pinout on your supergun, then use this converter to allow your stick to work on it....

Thanks norton!
This is exactly what I was talking about.
The psx original standard have 8 buttons and a start&select (so the stick I'm talking about) but maybe I'll find a way to manage more buttons, anyway 4 are far enough.

By!

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
MKL said:
Then you take the PCB that's inside the stick and make an adapter to keep it PSX-compatible.

This is not really needed in some sticks. I modded a DC official arcade stick and a PSX MAS stick by adding a DB15 cable and leaving the rest of the stuff untouched and they still work in their original consoles, they just have 2 cables coming from them. Of course this may not be possible in all sticks.

Massimilinao, there's no easy way to make a supergun directly compatible with PSX controllers unless you have a lot of electronic knowledge. So the solution would be a mod like I said or just use the PSX->neo adaptor, and wire the controller port of your supergun accordingly.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Amano Jacu said:
This is not really needed in some sticks. I modded a DC official arcade stick and a PSX MAS stick by adding a DB15 cable and leaving the rest of the stuff untouched and they still work in their original consoles, they just have 2 cables coming from them. Of course this may not be possible in all sticks.

Massimilinao, there's no easy way to make a supergun directly compatible with PSX controllers unless you have a lot of electronic knowledge. So the solution would be a mod like I said or just use the PSX->neo adaptor, and wire the controller port of your supergun accordingly.

In facts, that's the way I'll choose.
I repeat I want to leave the stick in it's original shape.
I'll gain the advantage of use any other psx pad or stick.
I've ordered from lik-sang that adaptor.
Then I'll use it as a joy port for the supergun (of course removing covers and unnecessary cables).
May be the best wway is a male 15pin, and then use the adaptor as it is...but do not like how it looks (too many mousetraps..)
well, thanks everyone for the advices, guess it's all set.

By.

edit:

oh'! and thanks lik-sang too! ;)

Last edited: