Puzzle Bobble bootlegs or originals

harani

n00b
After hearing someone say that PB was one of the most bootlegged carts goign I opend up my tow carts to compare them. completly differenct. one or both is a bootleg.

i have uploaded some pics
what do you think are either of them originals ?

both have SNK stampover both boards

this first cart looks the most proffesaionl in build (wieght, screws finish etc)tc but has a suspiciously large amount of eproms on it

http://www.beestone.plus.com/piclinks/pb1.jpg

in this second cart a lot of the chips look hand soldered.

http://www.beestone.plus.com/piclinks/pb2.jpg

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
The first ones a boot..for sure..

The second carts a boot but IMO-...A better looking boot..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
metallizer said:
the first is a boot

the second is original

I was going to say the second was original,but he says it looks to have hand soldering..
Otherwise I'd say it "looked" original..

I'd like to see a pic of the back side of those boards.

the soldering is not important

original chips = original game

since snk sacced other carts to make PB, I wouldnt be surprised if they hand soldered a few of them.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
chris1 said:
I was going to say the second was original,but he says it looks to have hand soldering..
Otherwise I'd say it "looked" original..

I'd like to see a pic of the back side of those boards.

The second picture looks legit but as Chris pointed out, there are some hand-soldered chips. Unless the chip was damamged, it's most likely a boot too.

Thanks to these guys here in TEH forum, I can spot a boot much easier now than before. Learning is FUN!!! :glee:

aluisi

Geese's Thug
first

First one is a dedant boot. As for the second one my bust a move looks excatly like that and mine is origanal so my 2 cents are

BOOT
pb1.jpg

ORIGANAL
pb2.jpg

Here is my origanal Bust a move board
Bust%20a%20move.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
aluisi said:
First one is a dedant boot. As for the second one my bust a move looks excatly like that and mine is origanal so my 2 cents are

BOOT
pb1.jpg

ORIGANAL
pb2.jpg

Here is my origanal Bust a move board
Bust%20a%20move.jpg

Oh Yea,his second cart looks like yours..

I'd say it was real/like yours....But,I'm curious about the hand soldering he might see..that he mentioned.
I'd like to see a clear slot of the back of his boards..
And what chips are hand soldered.(if any)

I personally don't believe in any hand soldered chip carts being real unless they were repairs.

I could be wrong though..This may have happened/Carts made to keep up with demand-Sac carts-hand soldered...and I would like it to be proven,shown/told to me by someone who really knows.
Someone perhaps who worked for SNK.(?)

I don't mind being wrong,I'd rather have the info....Please fill me in..
Maybe I've missed this info.. :help:

Did anyone from SNK ever say there was hand soldered carts..PB/BAM hand soldered chip carts..or is that rumor..?

Telling me a Hand soldered chip cart is real is like telling me SVC Chaos MVS carts are "OFFICIAL"..

///
Where are you guys getting these carts from..?

I see the Canadian Ebay "Yaton"seller selling tons of relabeled BAMs....
I'm so curious if the stacks he has(from China) are boots..
I'm looking for a real one..cheap... :glee:

harani

n00b
heres' some detailing on the soldering. (sory about the blurring)

first off the one everyone thinks is a boot

pb2detail.jpg

it has small neat soldering that looks like it has been done on a wave machine. The board is also clean of flux residue (on the solder side) like it has been washed down afterwards.

despite looking professionally wave soldered it is full of EPROMS and various different macufacturers of other chips toshiba , MX, Ferranti, NEC etc.
it also has standard capacitors and resistors hole soldered.

Here is some detail of the second cart that looks just like Aluisi's Bust-a- move cart

pb1detail.jpg

Although the soldering job is very good it has the hall marks of hand soldering. Dulling on the joint from flux fumes
Flux overspill around the joints
Sightly bulbous soldering where not enough heat has been applied to wick the sodlering into the plated hole etc.

however not all chips are hand soldered, only:

EP1
V3
V4
C5
S1
M1

the rest look wave soldered.

most importantly all the chips are are a uniform type from the same manufacturer
and the caps and resistors are all Surface mount devices

just to confuse matters...
Both the NEO and the PCM chips of BOTH cartridges are stamped SNK CORP.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The back of my original 2 eprom fix Bust a Move is like that too. Ugly looking soldering, mine even has 2 wires.

harani

n00b
So the general consenus seems to be despite the hand soldered chips the second cart (pb2 in the original posting) it seems to be an original and the other is a definitely boot

presumably the one that is reckoned to be an original has a higher resale value to collectors ?

Personally I just wanna play the game and am happy to keep the Boot. So it makes sense to sell the higher value one ?

H

Last edited: