Memory Card Battery

aluisi

Geese's Thug
So here is a question i am sure that has been covered before but you all are the people to ask. If a memory cards battery dies is there a way to replace it and if there is how do you replace it? T :buttrock: he memory card seams encased so how would you do this how would you open it and if you do get it open is the battery sodered in there and what type of battery would you use to replace the old one?

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
aluisi said:
So here is a question i am sure that has been covered before but you all are the people to ask. If a memory cards battery dies is there a way to replace it and if there is how do you replace it? T :buttrock: he memory card seams encased so how would you do this how would you open it and if you do get it open is the battery sodered in there and what type of battery would you use to replace the old one?

Use a razor blade to lift the thin metal sides from the mem card for a start.Don't take off the sticky stuff if you can as I have tried about 4 types of glue and noen of them lasted very long.

Desolder the battery retainer straps from the board.They are almost spot-welded onto the battery.The easiest way to get them off the battery is to use a modellers hand drill and just go through the spot(don't go to far and go into the battery.......it will make for an unneccesary hospital visit),a little bit and you can gently twist the battery retainers from the battery so you can use them again.

Then take your new battery(CR2032,the same as in a saturn or DC vmu)and solder the 2 retainer straps onto your new battery(don't put big blobs of solder on as it won't fit back together neatly and don't get the battery too hot as that is another way to have an unneccesary hospital visit,this time its acid burns and to have battery shrapnel removed from your face and eyes).

Re-solder the retainers back onto the board and put the whole thing back together.

The best way to stop battery drainage anyway is to just pull the card out of the slot when not in use.The batteries use more juice when the card is actually in the slot so just take it out.