No sound on my Last Resort MVS cart

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Here's the deal: I've got a Last Resort MVS cart which plays absolutely fine (i.e., no graphical glitches, no freeze ups, etc.) with the exception that I get absolutely no sound. That means no music, no sound effects, nothing, just silence. :(

I've opened up the cart and it looks genuine to me: SNK markings all over the boards, Toshiba chips, not a single Eprom.

The game has been tested in each slot of two different MV-2F mobos (both equipped with Unibios v1.2) both with and without other games present in the other respective slots.

Anybody have an idea what could be the problem and how to remedy it? :help:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Greywolf said:
Here's the deal: I've got a Last Resort MVS cart which plays absolutely fine (i.e., no graphical glitches, no freeze ups, etc.) with the exception that I get absolutely no sound. That means no music, no sound effects, nothing, just silence. :(

I've opened up the cart and it looks genuine to me: SNK markings all over the boards, Toshiba chips, not a single Eprom.

The game has been tested in each slot of two different MV-2F mobos (both equipped with Unibios v1.2) both with and without other games present in the other respective slots.

Anybody have an idea what could be the problem and how to remedy it? :help:

I'm assuming you have given the carts connectors a super cleaning..

I'd say in this case use some (dry) Green Scotch Brite or some very light sand paper.

Also check to see if the boards are warping from the case being to tight on them..

I'd try to put each board (while out of the case) in the mother board..Making sure how they are supposed to be situated as if they were in the case.

Otherwise try pulling the cart out a tiny bit when you put it in a mother board.

My last resort would to have someone else check it out in their mobo.

It'll suck if the cart has a bad sound chip..

I have a Riding Hero with no Eproms that just doesn't work and a booty BAM with no sound.

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Thanks for the advice, Chris1.

Unfortunately I still couldn't get the cart to make a sound, even after another clean-up and sticking the naked boards into my 2-slot. :crying:

Bah, sometimes all this finicky arcade stuff pisses me off so much, I wish I went with a darn MAME cab in the first place. :very_ang:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
"Bah, sometimes all this finicky arcade stuff pisses me off so much, I wish I went with a darn MAME cab in the first place."

Greywolf, do not be disheartened, mame cabs can be a pain in the ass too.
Members also have probs with thier home systems, cheer up and stick with it man ;) you will always get support around here.
Maybe the cart has a bad sound rom, that could happen to a AES cart.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Greywolf said:
Thanks for the advice, Chris1.

Unfortunately I still couldn't get the cart to make a sound, even after another clean-up and sticking the naked boards into my 2-slot. :crying:

Bah, sometimes all this finicky arcade stuff pisses me off so much, I wish I went with a darn MAME cab in the first place. :very_ang:

Your welcome..
Sorry to hear it's still not working... :(

Also..
Ditto to what ttooddddyy said...

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
$20 shipped?....if you're looking to sell it. :)

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Look over the M1 rom to make sure there are no bad solder joints. The M1 rom controls the audio.

If you don't have the tools, etc, I can take a look at it for you to see if it can be repaired. I offer free estimates, you just cover return shipping if you decide to not get the item fixed.

Or if you just want to sell it, let me know :)

Jeff

Greywolf

Angel's Love Slave
Thanks a lot for both your moral and technical support guys, I appreciate it! :mr_t:

JMKurtz: Email sent! :multi_co: