The gems that never were...

Brad

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It seems the mighty Neo is on her last leg. She has lasted longer and produced a larger library of great games than I'm sure anyone could have anticipated at her humble beginning. However, being the insatiable suckers that we are, I'm sure that everyone is left feeling unsatisfied in some way.

My question: Which game do you wish could have been made for the Neo, but never was?

One final sequel to your favourite series? An intriguing title that was canned? Did you conceptualise an original title that never stood a chance of being produced?

In addition to listing the title, please explain why you chose it and what it consists of in your mind's eye. Perhaps this is a depressing topic, but I'm quite interested in what people have to say. I'll post mine in the future.

And please, don't weep as you type your responses. After all, we may yet see some of your most longed-for titles be mutilated in an AtomisLame incarnation.

NeoStrider

n00b
LOL, I will never weep for a new Neo game, the fact is, every console must meet its end at some point. It's been fun, SNK, I sollute you :buttrock:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Brad said:
It seems the mighty Neo is on her last leg. She has lasted longer and produced a larger library of great games than I'm sure anyone could have anticipated at her humble beginning. However, being the insatiable suckers that we are, I'm sure that everyone is left feeling unsatisfied in some way.

My question: Which game do you wish could have been made for the Neo, but never was?

One final sequel to your favourite series? An intriguing title that was canned? Did you conceptualise an original title that never stood a chance of being produced?

In addition to listing the title, please explain why you chose it and what it consists of in your mind's eye. Perhaps this is a depressing topic, but I'm quite interested in what people have to say. I'll post mine in the future.

And please, don't weep as you type your responses. After all, we may yet see some of your most longed-for titles be mutilated in an AtomisLame incarnation.

Would have loved to have seen official releases of these:

Ghostlop
a segoku 3 truly worthy of the sengoku name.
MOTW 2
Last blade 3

and these homecarts:

NITD
Ghostlop
MPE
Sam Sho RPG english
Prehistoric Isle 2
Strikers 1945 Plus

Harry_Hearttrob

Geese's Thug
My prays were answered with Samurai Shodown V Special. The SS is my favorite series.

I wouldn't mind seeing AOF4 before it's demise :(

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Real Bout 3.

MotW could've used another couple games, since people continue to compare it to Third Strike, which was Capcom's third attempt. But to be honest, I never really got into MotW, so I'm fine if they don't.

And the story of Last Blade ended so conclusively, I really think that series doesn't need another sequel. I'd rather they made a new series.

I wouldn't have minded an AOF4. Maybe we'll see one on AW, but it won't be the same.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the games I have right now. Still not bored of FFS and FF3, still enjoying RB2, having some fun with SS3 and Kizuna... More games would have been nice, but I'm fine. They could come out with 100 new games, and I'd still be spending a lot of my time with the decade-old FFS...

Hidden Character

Leader of The Hyperstone Heist,
20 Year Member
I would've have definitely loved to see:
KOF '04 (most likely would've been some sort of a collector's item i.e. "Decade of Dominance" or something like that)

MOTW2 (Wanted to see the characters' stories develop more)

WH3(Hey, it could happen)

LB3(Still haven't played one yet)

KOTM 3(You hardly see any giant monster-themed fighting/wrestling/side scrolling beat'em games anymore)

AOF4(Wishful thinking)

bulletnyourass

noble trader
Games I would have liked to have seen are:

MOTW 2 : MOTW is a beautiful game. The gameplay is above reproach and the overall presentation was excellent. I would have like to have seen 1 more installment of the Fatal Fury series. I, for one, am not good at fighters. MOTW made me want to try to learn good offensive and defensive strategies.

Ghostlop : An official release of this game would have been great. Although we all kknow hind sight is 20/20, this game turned out to be very fun and worthy of a homecart release. Yes, I know the game can be obtained....but it would have been nice for SNK to have made an official Homecart.

King Of Fighters 2000 US 'Re-Release' - Yes, it is a well known fact that I am an owner of one of the NGF releases. When Playmore took over, they should have made a 100% original release. There is no doubt that the title would have made money regardless of the fac that KOF 2001 and 2002 were already out. The stigma of the 2 NGF urls bothers alot of people. Needless to say there are alot of people that stayed away from the "US RELEASE" of this game strictly because of it's questionable origins.

Twinkle Star Sprites US - My personal opinions is this is one of the most addictive games I have ever played. It would be nice to have this game in the US format. Too bad there was never a US/Euro release. I know with these quirky type games it is really hard to determine whether a multi region release would be equitable to the company.

Two things I would definitely like to know from someone at SNKPlaymore is:

What is the real deal with Euro Kizuna Encounter? It would be nice to have a 100% "OFFICIAL" response from the company in the know...or even someone from the original SNK that could shed some light on this subject once and for all.

What was the real deal between NGF and the release of King Of Fighters 2000 US AES. Things like, " Were ORIGINAL US Artwork shipped with those titles?". " If so, how many US titles were shipped to them?", and "Does SNKP own any of the original Artwork in some format (ie Digital File Storage, Print plates...any form of media that would show us the Original Intention of SNK for this title.)

Thats it from me.

Phillip

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
NAM-1965: Innocence Lost
---Same style of gameplay as '75 only we go back to when the two protagonist of the first game first met. It would have included bonus rounds where you got "into the zone" and with an M-60 HMG, mowed down villagers for points, had multiple paths, a different bonus round to torture captured NVA and VC, and been based on the "actual" war in Vietnam rather than be an out there made up game using NAM as it's backdrop. ---That had been my vision for many years {roughly 9} but it seems "Guerrilla Games" will make something like my idea for a prequel to NAM with it's 3-D Shell Shock: Nam '67 game coming out soon, so I guess that'll have to do.

Burning Fight II: Wild In The Streets
---I always imagined a more refined sequel to BF, again set in Japan but ending somewhere in the USA. Improved graphics, and two new characters, one of them a scatinly clad biker bitch.

IKARI WARRIORS IV: The Road To Hell
---An original "first" on the MVS but the fourth installment of the IKARI games that would've played like #3 in the vein of P.O.W. with the elements of Shock Troopers, with bitchin' music... Ralf, Clark, Heidern, Leona, Whip and another character as selectable combatants. Lots of blood and at 18 stages long with faux 3-D rotation "Up the screen" stages.

MERCENARY X99 :cool:

THE FN SHOW

Armored Scrum Object
baseball stars 3
ghoslop
samurai shodown rpg us release
crossed swords 2 aes or mvs

gmw

Mai's Apprentice
A sequel to Neo Turf Masters! Just think what could have been done....

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Mercenary X99 said:
IKARI WARRIORS IV: The Road To Hell
---An original "first" on the MVS but the fourth installment of the IKARI games that would've played like #3 in the vein of P.O.W. with the elements of Shock Troopers, with bitchin' music... Ralf, Clark, Heidern, Leona, Whip and another character as selectable combatants. Lots of blood and at 18 stages long with faux 3-D rotation "Up the screen" stages.

MERCENARY X99 :cool:

That would've been cool :buttrock:

I think an updated version of Psycho Soldiers could've been made too :)

EVIL NICK

ALL CAPS,
20 Year Member
Now everyone is going to think I'm crazy...

I know the Neo as an arcade system didn't cater to RPG's...

But a Neo sequel to Crystalis would be really great... :drool_2:

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
They would be absolute morons not to do MoTW2 somewhere down the road...
Also Merc's Nam 1965 idea would be rad, think about a new Nam game on Atomiswave... :drool_2:

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Would have predictably loved to see a MOTW2... but at the same time I am sure that it will still be a rockin' game when SNKP gets around to releasing it to the AW, though I'll probably have to wait at least a year for the port once it comes out now as I will certainly be picking up the SNK to console AW ports, but will not be picking up the arcade/AW versions.

Bring on MOTW2 for the AW! :buttrock:

Himuragames

Crossed Swords Squire
Side Scrollers and Sports

I think the Neo Geo system (Still best in my book) could have done more with side scrolling games (Sengoku, Nam 75, Robo army, etc….they could have done so much more with burning fight), it needed broaden variety and scope of these type of games. For example-A side scroller were policemen went about fighting crime in their own way. One cracked A LOT of skulls, another police member was a hacker (puzzle theme in the game) breaking in the crime organization’s computer. Yet another member relied on stealth (Sneaking around picking up things..hehehe) :D But each help out the others.

Sports games could have been expanded too. I would have love to Super Dodge Ball (I’m guessing this is a “Sports”, we all play it in gym) the ReVeNgE. I like how MOTW didn’t come back with same old characters (Save Terry), but mixed it up a bit. Super Dodge Ball could have been the same. For example - One older characters came back to revenge his kid from a savage dodge ball pounding at recess :oh_no: Everyone else is new.

What about some extreme sports titles (I don’t do any extreme sports, but examples…Skateboarding, Biking, Rollerblading, etc) :multi_co:

The Neo Geo System was versatile enough to draw us to it, but it needed something more (probably better management :eek_2: ) to draw the youth of today to its great games. I know some of these things are VERY hard to do for commercial reasons, but they did the impossible for such a long time. That’s what the Neo stood for me all these years simply - Great games :buttrock:
Just some thoughts of mine

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I think that having a prequel to the NAM 1975 game would be tight. It could be on the Neo or Atmoiswave. But, also, having an AOF4 wouldn't be a bad idea, with a new fighting engine. But, these ideas aren't likely to happen. SNK Playmore is contretated on the stronger franchises of SNK like KOF, Metal Slug, etc.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
Neo Ash said:
.....one more Metal Slug!:buttrock:
I think that they should end Metal Slug with MS5, because the Metal Slug series is not the same after the old SNK went out. After MS3, the Metal Slug series has gone downhill. I just think that all good things must come to an end.

WGolly

Known Scammer. Fook Better Explain Himself
a double dragon beat 'em up done by technos would have been cool. I would love to have seen another wrestling title on the neo with improved control over fire suplex, maybe one like wrestlefest, except featuring japanese wrestlers. it would have been cool to have seen more games from the likes of Hudson and data east as well. of course baseball stars 3 would have been cool too, but it would be pretty hard to improve on it predesessor.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
even though it's not snk i always wanted my favorite fighter of all time, street fighter 2 turbo. man i would have loved SF2 turbo on the neo.

i also always wanted a crystalis game, and baseball stars 3 would have been nice. we really could have used a yearly sports title, like kof was in the fighting genre.

neo*geo

Mickey's Coach
Street gangs (river city ransom ) on the neogeo
Sonic 1 (ummmmmmmm dreamy)
Ssf2x
Fire n ice the nes version

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I would've loved to have seen a NTM 2. I really don't know what they could've done to improve the gameplay, since I love the arcade feel. I would've just like to see them add more courses, I guess. Just pile 'em in there until you reach 708 megs :D. Oh, and I guess a few new characters wouldn't hurt.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Jedite said:
I think that they should end Metal Slug with MS5, because the Metal Slug series is not the same after the old SNK went out. After MS3, the Metal Slug series has gone downhill. I just think that all good things must come to an end.

Hasn't MS6 been announced already?

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Shirt in a Can said:
Hasn't MS6 been announced already?

Yep. Atomiswave. What will become of the Metal Slug series .... SNKP has already given it quite a beating :oh_no: