The Reviews Are In... (Metal Slug 3)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
They praise the $hyte out of it then give it a 7.5 .... wtf??

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
EBGames.com says this game ships . . . TODAY. I will gladly pay full price for this port ($39.99), and thank God that Microsoft had the foresight to get this game when Sony was too stupid to allow the U.S. release.

I will also by the MS4/MS5 pack for XBox, and probably PS2 also to show my support.

Can't wait for the Samurai Shodown releases too! :D

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
EGM gave it a 7.5, 6.5, and 8.0.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I give it a 10. That's the only score that really matters to me. ;)

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
Lastblade said:
I give it a 10. That's the only score that really matters to me. ;)

Thats exactly what I have been thinking since I saw EGMs piss poor score.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Spike said:

Meh, I never take those guys seriously anymore.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
This is not a $40 value unless you absolutely must have this game on your Xbox and a PC emulation just won't do.

Um....wtf...

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
:eek:
I usually get bored halfway through IGN's long-winded, self-important reviews so I had only read page one and the final breakdown.

Sorry, guys, and thanks for pointing out the obvious to me.

I know Hilary Goldstein isn't exactly the pinnacle of gaming, journalism or gaming journalism but I'm even surprised at that comment.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
IGN are a bunch of fucking retards and I didn't read all of 1up's but they're EGM which means they're a bunch of fucking retards too. That quote really pissed me off, not worth $40!? How about you get a fucking job bitch! Downloading roms is like supporting terrorism in my book.

GoSpits

Benimaru's Hairdresser
20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
IGN are a bunch of fucking retards and I didn't read all of 1up's but they're EGM which means they're a bunch of fucking retards too. That quote really pissed me off, not worth $40!? How about you get a fucking job bitch! Downloading roms is like supporting terrorism in my book.

I normally don't have a problem with 1Up as most of `em are ex-Daily Radar staff. I dislike EGM, though and haven't liked IGN for awhile.
I'm almost as long-winded as they are!
Regardless of reviews, I know I'm picking this game up for the Xbox and my MVS and there's nothing stopping me. :buttrock:

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
Spike said:

Piss poor!? That's an average of over 7.3! That's pretty good, especially if they're a bunch of "mainstream 3d pwnz!!!!111 :buttrock: :buttrock:" morons.

The IGN review is seriously retarded, though. "FUCK DAT SHIT! It don't make use of teh X-Box hardwere, it don't get no good score or recommendajion!"

Last edited:

hateful_liar

Armored Scrum Object
Amazing. I can't believe IGN is actually encouraging piracy. They've really gone down hill the last few years. :oh_no:

Visuatrox

NEST Puppet
The sneaky bastard at IGN edited out about the Romz in his review, without even writing an apology or anything :angry: .

Jedite

Bunker Buster
The only way to review a game is to play the game yourself and see what you think of it.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Has anyone played the actual game yet? Are there additional levels?

I will have it later today, but was just wondering if anyone actually received it yesterday???

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
To a certain degree, I kind of expected this. Metal Slug 3 is just in that venue of games that just wont get the understanding from most mainstream reviewers. Maybe not get the attention of the mainstreamers, in general. Stuff like this is a solid reminder of the odd changes in average gamer mentality, of which I can't say is an overall improvement. Sega AM2's worry about how Americans take arcade games, in general, is sort of justified by reviews like this. It's to the point that the content of the IGN review pretty much spells, the opinion, all out for you, word for word.

First of all the review takes pot shots at(no exaggeration, it literally does it):

1. The whole arcade game scene.

2. The Neo Geo original version of Metal Slug 3.

3. This version and the worth of it after glossing over extras.

If there's one thing, in the review, that seemed useful info for me, was to what extent the live scoreboards were used. I'm not exactly sure if it is implemented too well if you manually upload the scores. The cool thing about how the Microsoft Gaming Studios games do Live scoreboards is that they not only require you to play the game while on Live (for live scoreboards), that feature is a part of a great system to prevent cheating on your scores. The upload option sounds like it (like the Dreamcast-online scoreboards before it) allows people to do some off-line hacking before uploading scores. Needless to say, if such a thing is possible and starts occurring, then it'll be best we get our gamertags together, so we can compete on a level and fair playing field.

Still, it's technically SNK's first foray on the Live tip, and they did get the game out in a quick and timely fashion; so I guess it is a good thing that after we find out what they did, that we give them good feedback on how to improve their Live options. Especially for those of us, who have first-hand experience with good examples of how Live options should be done.

The good thing about all of this, is that the average review scores aren't really dismal. It's always nice to see a 2D (low-rez) arcade game not averaging scores lower than a 7, regardless of animation/game quality. Hopefully, the game will be still available when a price drop occurs, so that those on-the-fence people will at least give MS3 a try and see what kind of gaming they've been missing. If there is one vintage shooter series that deserves a sudden popularity explosion, this is one.

Last edited:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Ha! Reader Score 8.9 at IGN.

I've already convinced one person to buy it. He always plays the demo when we are at work. So do I. :tickled:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Good point. I would expect the demo, over anything else, to be a big selling point for Metal Slug 3. And for people who still aren't convinced, to keep their eye on it for the minute the price drops.

This is a case in which the demo may do wonders for selling the game. I've yet to speak to one random person (who played it), who didn't think the MS3 demo was a whole lot of crazy fun.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Yeah some random guy who played through the demo wanted to buy the game right away.