Coin Mechs - anyone know anything ? could really use alittle insight

Nallchan

Quiz Detective
:help: :help: heya... im not very stong on coin mechs.. anyone know anything about them ? :help: :help:

Im looking to change a current Token Only coin mech to Take Quarters..

is it possible ? any Adjustments that can be made ? if so what ?

i really have almost no knowledge of the coin mechs..

is there a Bolt or Screw i can Adjust for coin size ?

do some mechs take ONLY quaters .. and some take ONLY tokens ? :eek_2:

ANY AND ALL information would be simply Great...diagrams ? Hints ? Tricks ... i really need to know this.. Starting a Route soon.. and this is my weakest Subject :oh_no:

Nallchan

Quiz Detective
Forgot to mention,

do the models / Manufacters have anything to do with a mecha ability to change ?

aka .. some mechs can be changed over... some cant ?

also, is it possible to just buy the mech Itself ( just the part that you can pull out and switch ) for a 25 Cent one ? from ... lets say .. Happcontrols ?

as before.. any and all information would be great...

Thank you...

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I see coin mechs being sold all over Ebay..but I don't know what fits with what..

That being a problem even with Happcontrols because they won't answer your questions or really know what you need..

All my cabs take Quarters...
The candy cab used to take Japanese tokens or money(forget) but was switched over to quarters before I got it.

I was going to mess around with the coin mechs in my cabs to try and switch them to use the same Tokens that I use for my slot machines.
..maybe I'll try one tomorrow.

My Tekken 3 takes tokens on one side of the coin slot and quarters on the other..
I've never looked into it further since all my cabs are on freeplay.

I'm pretty sure there is an adjustment on the coin mech to switch to tokens..(A screw)
If you find it make sure to make the old spot for quarters..

Nallchan

Quiz Detective
Thanks Seawolf. ! that was very helpful ..
90 % of the mechs are universal..

but still one pressing Question....

:multi_co: How do i Turn a Token ONLY Door into Quarter taking door? :multi_co:

After reading the bob Roberts page.. i would assume i Slide an Entirly new Mech in there ?!?

anybody ?

Any and all information is definatly welcome... Thanks for everyone whom did help

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Nallchan said:
Thanks Seawolf. ! that was very helpful ..
90 % of the mechs are universal..

but still one pressing Question....

:multi_co: How do i Turn a Token ONLY Door into Quarter taking door? :multi_co:

After reading the bob Roberts page.. i would assume i Slide an Entirly new Mech in there ?!?

anybody ?

Any and all information is definatly welcome... Thanks for everyone whom did help

When I saw this post I decided to pull out a spare Coin door with mechs I have and try it..
It took me no less than 5 minutes to make it only take tokens..Chucke Cheese's tokens.. :D
I will add two pics..

There are two adjusters in the mech..on this mech one is white (flat head screw driver)this srew is used to adjust for the coins size..I moved it while placing a token in it that didn't pass through(fell) until I turned it enough.

Quarters still worked with it this way however.
Then there is a weight coin width adjuster that you have to screw tweak to not allow for the quarter to pass through.
It'll get stuck casing you to have to press in coin return..thus not allowing quarters to be used.
It'll take some tweaking to get it to work for the token you are going to use and try to make sure that are not the same size as a quarter because the tweaking will be harder..also get heavy tokens..not the light ones.

Nallchan

Quiz Detective
Thank you VERY informaitive...

gonna go toy with my coin mechs now :multi_co:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
This is a standard coin door from a Letal Enforcers Arcade machine.

The Coin Mechs say "Coin Controls"

You are going to be looking for two screws/adjustments like below..
I just looked at Big Reds mechs..(type "Coin Mech")..I see one way to adjust them..but I need to look further..They are different then the ones in that pics..

The Tekken 3 has two different mechs..the one that takes tokens is more plastic looking then the pics but has the two same ajustment screws like in the pic.
The quarter taking side looks like it's enclosed in full plastic.

So there may be only quarter taking Mechs..but I need to mess with the Big Reds/Neo Golds to see if I can change them.

Coin3.jpg

Coin1.jpg

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Updated

The Coin mech in the Neo Gold(same as Big Red) came out real easy..but,these look to be made to only take Quarters.

I can do some permanent filing to get the Tokens to work/fit,but then I'm basically
changing them and they "may" never take quarters again.

I see one clip on the top that can be bent of filed to get a token to fit..
Then another rotating clip/bar keeps the token from falling through..(No adjustment here)If you were to remove that rotating clip/bar or bend it the token would fit through..
This type is just not made to take tokens and you probably have this type in you Best Busters Cab.
I can manipulate them to work and maybe even keep quarters from being used....using the coin width adjuster...but I'd say it'll be better getting the adjustable one..
I don't want to ruin these so I didn't try.
I see some sort of adjustment on the bottom but it has nothing to do with the top where the adjustment needs to be done.

If anyone knows how to change this type,I'd like to know..

Coin5.jpg

Since the other type takes both/adjustable you may be able to ask..say Bob Roberts for that type..

................Updating
I messed around with the coin mech/taking the one out of the Big Red..
It's the same type-comes out easy "Coin Mech" that's in the Neo Gold.

I figure the screw on the bottom is to adjust where the coin falls..into the coin box.

I notice that the swinging/second part-bar that prevents the token from going in is removable..Slides off.
So by filing or bending the top blocking part .....tokens will fall through..

I just found this pic on the internet.. :tickled:
74_1_b.JPG

Last edited:

Eye_Doc

n00b
I am just getting into arcade machines, but have been working with slot machines for quite a while. There are several kinds of coin acceptors/rejectors, both electronic and mechanical. As far as I have seen, arcades only use mechanical, so I'll stick to those. Yes, some are token only and some are certain denom coin only. You will probably run into both. From all that I have messed with, the brass ones from Coin Mech are the most durable but are designed to be coin or token only, not adjustable.

This question has actually made me think about trying to retrofit my cab with electronic coin comparitors to see if they will work (got a box of Bally ones on the shelf). Let me know if you need coin mechs, I have a bunch of them sitting around the shop.