KOF: Maximum Impact (3D) Review

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
http://www.insertcredit.com/news/e3_2004/kof-mi/kof-mi.html

"First you get the stage intro, where your opponent comes forward to meet you. Ralf, who has been lying on a container, springs up, calls to your character, jumps down to the playfield, and struts forward. Next, while the game loads, you get the versus screen. While you read the opponent's full name ("Ryo Sakazaki", compared to just "Ryo"), and a short quote, the opponent says something to you. After this comes the standard character intros and the start of the match."

"I have spent several hours with the game at this point, and I believe this is probably both the most ambitious and the most successful project SNK has undertaken since the NeoGeo itself. That it is competent, and playable, is impressive enough. That it is actually a good, well-considered, energetic, fun game on its own right -- even in its current, incomplete stage -- is a revelation."

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
sounds encouraging...

...but i still don't want to buy a ps2 just for this game :rolleyes:

CBVicious

Zero's Secretary
This game looks very promising. Hopefully, there's good music and some secret characters.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
My boy Rob is in this game so I'll hafto check it out somehow. Sounds like a decent game.

shirt

Andy's Clothes Designer
Fortunately my excitement over this game outweighs my disappointment over NeoWave.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Sounds like a lot of time was spent in polishing this game (costumes, BGs, accurate collision detection, etc.) and making sure it wasn't just a 3d cut-n-paste job. Makes me wish Playmore put this type of effort in to every one of their games. But it also gives me hope for the future.

arstal

n00b
So far, so good. I'm expecting the game to come out decent, not great, but 10 times better then I expected. Expecting the AI to keep this game from greatness (fighting games need a great AI to be great, and SNK has forgotten how to make one in the past few years- last great one they had was KOF94-95 and SS1-2)

I'm also a bit concerned about SFA1 chain-combo-into-easy-combo wrecking the game competitively.

For the inevitable sequel, I wish they'd take the VF4E mode (the game I did buy a PS2 for), and have customization.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If this doesn't prove that SNKP is capable of stepping up to the world of 3D, then nothing will. I smell success for this, and I'm really, really excited about it. :D

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
I have a feeling this will be the B3ST K0F 3VA!!!!11!!1

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
Shirt in a Can said:
Fortunately my excitement over this game outweighs my disappointment over NeoWave.

heh...it is kind of sad that the current state of SNKPlaymore is that they can do a better job in relatively new territory (3D-ish fighter) than they can in a format that they've been doing for years...
:eek_2:

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Kazuki Dash said:
heh...it is kind of sad that the current state of SNKPlaymore is that they can do a better job in relatively new territory (3D-ish fighter) than they can in a format that they've been doing for years...
:eek_2:

think about it though. making a game from scratch allows you to do it according to modern standards. continuing something youve been doing for 10+ years leaves you with two choices, renewing or totally remaking. theyve obviously not tried remaking with the 2d kof yet....

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
My only gripe about this game thus far is that they CONTINUE to leave Ralf's HCB+K tackle move out.

It may just be that the animation hadn't been completed yet.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I'm really happy to hear this!
I almost cried after I heard the impressions of the Neo wave game.

This weeks Famitsu has got a one page feature on it. The fact that the game has 5 new characters is really nice! Plus Rock!

I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this (probably the 10th) but the new characters look like they escaped from the bouncer....

:glee:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Very interesting. It looks like I'll be forced to buy a PS2 for sure now .... :oh_no:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I need no hir-res nor 3d shit for my KOF

I need no AW nor PS2 shit for my KOF

RIP NeoGeo, RIP KOF

History.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
After reading the review (which is good, btw.) and seeing some of the screens it seems that changes to the original 2D KoF have been implemented with care. Reminds me of Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition, there are traditional engine elements such as qcf's or dp's but also SC-style strings, and rolling/shifting to the third dimension by pressing two punch or kick buttons sounds more like Garou's line swaying than, say, DoA's sidesteps.

Interesting.

Visually I'm not excited, more or less standard polygonized design, blurry textures, etc. Way to go.

But... PS2? Heh, if I'm not totally mistaken, we will see an Xbox port of this as well. Wouldn't make sense to release a load of Neo ports on Xbox (KoF2k2/2k3, SvC, Slug 3, etc.) but not this one.

Last edited:

msu89dawgs

Hardened Shock Trooper
I just wish they had kept it 3-on-3, rather than 1-on-1. I will definitely be getting it when it comes out, though.