Japanese game companies crack down on unofficial news sites.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
From PIGN.net

Isao, the maintainer/webmaster of GameOnline.jp was recently arrested due to the fact that he posted scans from game magazines of eight different games. This was after the game companies SNK, Namco, Capcom and Square-Enix said that his unauthorized screenshot posting was copyright violation, with one of those games being Final Fantasy XII.

Due to this event, several "unprofessional" JP game sites has become text only. Even though this has happened in Japan, what's to say it won't happen to fan game news in the U.S. or Europe?

This is some of the biggest bullshit I've seen from gaming companies in a long time. Why in the name of cheese would they arrest someone for posting screenshots of games that, essentially, effectively advertise their product? These weren't even secret screenshots or anything either, but already publicly released. I could understand the magazine that these screens originated from being upset, but there's no mention of them caring.

This is not a good sign, and what's to happen if this spreads to American and European web sites? Does that mean IGN, Gamespot, and Gamespy will eventually be the only websites allowed to post pre-release screens?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Hmph, these "unofficial" sites are advertising for their games if anything...

parodius

n00b
Well after the "No resale" initiative from a few years back, this is one more stupid move from the Japanese game companies...

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
thats the japanese game companies. they are fucking idiots. as parodius mentioned they banded together to try and have 2nd hand games made illegal. its my fucking game after i buy you twats :)

Tiptonium

Tech Support Moderator,
Game companies are quite protective of their product. I was a sysop for Compuserve's Video Game Forum for several years. I had to get permission from each game company before I could post any information about a game including press releases and screen shots. Most companies had a department that created approved screen shots. You could only uses those shots if you had permission. As far as I know, this has not changed in the US. Now there is a grey area where a not for profit fanzine or site could post shots without getting in trouble but any for profit site is at risk even today unless they have permission to use the media.

NeoLord

Neo-Geo FAQs Editor
This is absolutely ludicrous! The people these companies are pursuing are nothing more than enthusiastic fans for crying out loud. It would one thing if they were selling the pictures to the general public, but all they're doing is using photos to illustrate their articles and comments on particular titles/

Tip is right about one thing – companies had very stringent regulations when it involved certain items released to the media for consumption (SNK was the same way about their in-game photos unless you had their blessing) and they were usually fairly efficient at enforcing the rules, too. However, in the 10+ years spent publishing fan-based videogame magazines, I learned from a few well-known journalists that as long as you acknowledge the company's copyright somewhere on your website or in your publication, most companies will overlook you using their material. So far this has kept me out of trouble… lol

EMAGDNIM

Vice's Love Slave
Inazuma said:
Hmph, these "unofficial" sites are advertising for their games if anything...

Exactly...what the hell are they thinking...they are just making the gamers upset with their actions :oh_no: We are the ones who buy the stupid games in the first place...I dont know what to think about videogame compaines anymore... :spock:

rhamaaa

n00b
there are many reasons for this type of action, I can understand at least some of where the publishers are coming from

screenshots are given out to specific press by PR depts at specific times. the publicity campaign of any product has to be carefully managed in order to maximise coverage.
sometimes a magazine will be given an first dibs on a story - an exclusive - so when a dirty filthy website with no respect for copyright law publishes images that are scanned from a magazine, the exclusive is ruined

this damages the game publisher's relationship with the magazine... to the point that in the long run there is the possibility of the coverage from that game or a future game (from same publisher) being reduced greatly because the magazine can no longer trust the game publisher - the stories in offical press don't get run
because the magazine knows they will end up all over the web

dont forget that the screenshots supplied by the publisher are the intellectual property of the publisher - it is up to the publisher which press gets to print them

not to mention the fact that nasty scans look poor quality in comparison to proper print - the perceived visual quality of the game is reduced

what I find interesting is that the magazine publishers are not taking action against the filthy websites too - the layout and style of the magazine being scanned is the intellectual property of the magazine publisher after all

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I can understand game companies wanting to control their advertising campaigns .... but arresting someone??? WTF??

Give the guy a fine and be done with it.

And as far as the japanese game companies not allowing 2nd hand sales - that's TOTAL fucking bullshit. WTF are you paying for?

Moose

Moose,
20 Year Member
And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know Im free, and I wont forget the men who died who gave that right to me. And Id gladly stand up, next to you, and defend her still today. Cause there aint no doubt I love this landddddd. GOD BLESS THE USA!!!

I love that song! I love this Country! (the republicans that is)

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Moose said:
And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know Im free, and I wont forget the men who died who gave that right to me. And I'd gladly stand up, next to you, and defend her still today. Cause there aint no doubt I love this landddddd. BLESS THE USA!!!

I love that song! I love this Country! (the liberals that is)

Fixed that for you. ;)

rhamaaa

n00b
with reference to:
"And as far as the japanese game companies not allowing 2nd hand sales - that's TOTAL fucking bullshit. WTF are you paying for?"

if you were a publisher, would you want the retailer making a second round of over-inflated profit on your game?

its all done to control the power that the retailer has... if this sort of thing didnt happen then we'd all get really bad games to play permanently...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well in the US,

posting a bunch full scans would be a copyright violation...... But that would violate the copyright of the magazine publisher, not of the game company....

Want some more bullshit:\
Up until the mid 80's it was illegal to use JPN/Asian/Euro Jamma boards in the US...... Then it was made illegal to operate (charge $$$ to play them). Finnaly, congress removed the exemption allowing boards from any region to be played in the US.... The VG companies kicked and screamed..... But that;s how it exists today...

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't know how Japan works, but the new game industry in the US is fueled by used game sales.... Johny trades his Madden 2003, Vice City, Soul Calibur II and $30 cash so he can pre-order Madden 2004......

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
rhamaaa said:
with reference to:
"And as far as the japanese game companies not allowing 2nd hand sales - that's TOTAL fucking bullshit. WTF are you paying for?"

if you were a publisher, would you want the retailer making a second round of over-inflated profit on your game?

I don't see the connection. Could you explain this a little more thoroughly?

its all done to control the power that the retailer has... if this sort of thing didnt happen then we'd all get really bad games to play permanently...

I don't see how not allowing people to sell their 2nd hand games alters the power of the retailer.