Are the Neo Geo Us Carts with the Dog tag worth more money, than regular?

i have about 10 games with the dog tag on the side are these the same prices or are they worth more?

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Come to think of it, the Dog Tag logo was a cool little idea, but the NeoGeo logo is so much classier.

I prefer the NeoGeo logo.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

Mike

Bead Banger
Most people tend to lean towards no dog tag. For some reason it sells for more without it.

Thanks you guys.
Oh and Dion thats a cool and informative Web site, i wish i had half the games you have, well 1/4 would be cool i guess, again thanks

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
I actually really like dog tag carts, for a number of reasons. First off, they only came out in the US and signify a time when the neo really was the most powerful and best system money could buy. The complete dog tag collection is easily attainable, and they look great on a shelf next to each other. There were also a lot of scandals and stories surrounding the dog tag games. For example, Samurai Shodown 1 SHOULD have had a dog tag. But when Chad Okada (the SNK gamelord at the time) learned that japan had censored it, he refused to put on the dog tag "seal of quality."

Just my two cents.

John

Dion

Where do you guys get these stories??
Chad Okada had no control over what games were released, marketted, or anything else to that extent. He worked there for 3 year as a "Game Lord" and "show presenter."

The Dog Tags were on ALL "US" Neo cartridges from that time frame.....and Samurai Shodown 1 HAS a dog tag. Why on Earth would they SKIP one game?? It makes no sense. SS1 and SS2 have the Dog tag inserts.

Just like most people NEVER believed me when I FIRST told everyone that SS2 had a "NeoGeo" logo version. People said "No way" and that I was wrong.
Well, I proved myself right yet again, and now everyone accepts that SS2 has the "NeoGeo" logo version.

SS1 and SS2 have the Dog Tags.
WH, WH2, and WH2Jet also have the dog tags.
AoF and AoF2 have the dog tags.
FF and FF2 have the dog tags.
Ghost Pilots, Robo Army, Last Resort, Ninja Commando, KotM, Andro Dunos, Alph Mission 2, Baseball Stars 2, Burning Fight, Soccer Brawl, Football Frenzy, League Bowling, Super Baseball 2020, Spinmasters, and Viewpoint all have the "Dog Tag" insert versions.

Hope ths helps everyone.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

[This message has been edited by Dion (edited August 25, 2000).]

RyoGeo

Global Moderator, Voice of Reason, Member #13
Well, I don't know about stories, but what I do know is that I purchased my copy of Samurai Shodown on the first day of its release from a store called Incredible Universe in Portland, Oregon. It was $199.99 (they always had them a little cheaper). Universe got their stuff directly from SNK through standard distributoin channels and I even seem to recall the gaming area manager mentioning that he would "talk to Chad" whenever I would pose Neo questions to him.

In any case, my copy of Sam Sho is NON-dog tag and did not come with an epilepsy warning card. I know nothing of Chad being the one that decided to use/not use the dog tag. All I know is that mine does not have it, it was a US release and it was purchased at a retail location that got their stuff directly from SNK. It was NOT from Europe. It was a standard release for the US market, period.

It may very well be that SS had some dog tag and non-dog tag versions. This would make sense in that we all know that some US releases have the Jp. sticker under the US sticker on the cart. This sticker placement is also not consistent in that the same title from the same period may or may not have the secondary sticker. It's hit and miss, and it seems that this may be the case here as well.

I agree that it does seem odd in that the copy of SS2 that I got when it first became available IS a dog tag. Very odd indeed. Just know that there are US released carts of Sam Sho that do NOT sport the dog tag that were purchased on US soil from a retail store.

Lord knows the Neo releases had all kinds of weirdness surrounding them. This seems to be another case.

-RyoGeo

[This message has been edited by RyoGeo (edited August 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by RyoGeo (edited August 26, 2000).]

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
You know come to think about my SS1,3 Count bout nor my aero fighters 2 are the dog tag version.Now I know the 3CB and AF2 are not mentioned as being dog taged but they do fall in that date range right. The 3 count bout and aero fighters 2 I bought new from Babagges here in houston. the SS1 I think I got from half price games used so it could be euro. ALso out of the 82 carts I own 25-30 bought new, Non of them came with a epilespy card. As far as the incredible universe version not being a dog tag I can only think of a couple of explanations.

1) SNK USA was pulling Cart stock from europe to fill orders.

2) SNK USA ran out of dogtag inserts and used the Europe

3) and of course the Neo dog tag for these cart were not made, or used half dog logo half not.

to tell the truth I don't know the answer but it strikes me as odd also. Just as that SNK went through the trouble of making the difference Inserts in the first place. Comparing the us and europe carts the inserts are Identical down to the bar code expect for a few exceptions. When comparing my World Heros 2 cart (euro/US)the difference are the dog tag vs euro logo, the US carts are a Dark black the euro are a dark grey, and instead of having a red background on the main display pic it is green. Now the cart stickers are the same. and just the manual cover is different reflecting the same difference mentioned above.

What were the dog tag years anyway?

[This message has been edited by Big Bruno (edited August 30, 2000).]

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
I was told the whole Chad Okada dog-tag veto story a long time ago. I think I might have even read it in Bill Smallwood's interview with him at UTNGM but I could be wrong. Dion, even you know that back in those times Chad DID have a certain degree of control over the marketing of the neo in the US. Since the dog tag games were released EXCLUSIVELY for the US market, it makes sense that someone in the US pioneered that idea.

Regardless, a few corrections to your list. (I'll be updating the Master List with dog tag variations in the future). To prevent confusion, the following games you listed *do NOT OFFICIALLY* exist in dog tag form :

Samurai Shodown
Andro Dunos
Spinmasters
Viewpoint

And Phil, neither 3 Count Bout nor AF2 exist in dog tag form, and yes to my knowledge they were released during the dog tag period. Im sure there is a reason or story associated with why those games don't have dog tags.

Cheers

John

Dion

How can you say those games do not exist in Dog tag form John, you are still new in this Neo game.

I don't like the dog tag inserts, so why would I care to say they exist?

Liek I said before, many people didn't believe me when I first said that WH2 and SS2 had the "NeoGeo" logo versions.

Just because you have never seen those inserts doesn't mean they don't exist.

SS is a common Dog tag insert.
Not as common as SS2, but still very often found.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

Dion

Also on another note, many people didn't believe that an "English" Kizuna Encounter, Double Dragon, or Ultimate 11 existed. But now we know they do.

I remember fellow NGFer "Chris" actually was calling out certain people to prove that those versions existed. He was willing to PAY to see proof. And luckily, someone from Germany posted the scans of those inserts. And now, we have them all.

He put his foot in his mouth, kinda like some people are doing now with the dog tag theories.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

[This message has been edited by Dion (edited August 30, 2000).]

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
There must have been some kind of switching go around at that time. I mean I bought SS2 new also from Game dude and it is a neo logo. So at some point SNK USA must have Come out with both version for whatever reasons. I not disputing the fact that the Dog tags exist for certain games, I am just Suggesting that SNK USA also released Neo logo versions of the questionable games for whatever reason. How else can you explain New carts being purchesed here in the US without the Dog tag? Importing games from other countries back then was not as easy or common as it is now, Plus it would cost more then dealing directly with SNK USA.

nick_th_fury

Baseball Star Hitter
Well, one thing I have learned about SNK. They never had much method to their madness. With all the crazy stuff they did with their inserts, I would believe they had two versions printed for a US release. Just for the record, I bought Samurai Shodown in a retail store in Texas the day it released.
It did not have a dogtag logo. I also bought SS2 from the same store on its release day.
It did have a dogtag logo.
The DogTags are worth more to me. Because I like them. The majority of people on the net seem to like it less, but you can allways find someone with a different opinion. I wouldnt worry about the value to much. Buy the ones you like.
-nick_th_fury

Geddon_jt

20 Year Member
Hey D, I haven't put my foot in my mouth... yet. I'd love anyone who has the following games in dog tag form to please send me a pic or just let me know you have it. If you do take the time to take a pic, a shot of the dog tagged manual would be nice as well. Until I see them, Im convinced they dont exist.

World Heroes 1
Samurai Shodown 1
Spinmaster
Viewpoint
Art of Fighting 2
Andro Dunos

John

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
If anyone wants to see my interview with Chad, go to my website Under The Neo Geo Moon, which has the URL listed below. It's interesting to note that many of Chad's statements contradict dion's claims, such as that SNK-USA "botched" the US inserts.

Thanks,
Billkwando
utngmlink.gif
http://welcome.to/undertheneogeomoon

Dion

Yeah, Chad said he had something to do with the dog tag? or for them not being on certain games?? what a crock!!

He "started" at SNK in about late 1991 as a game counselor, not a developer or high official. Hey, I used to like Chad and met him at a few shows and spoke to him on the phone - many times. I remember him well because back then I was so impressed with the NeoGeo and employees of SNK. (I know better now). So, even with all that said, I still have respect for him, because he WAS a part of the "NeoGeo," but he had nothing to do with the games being developed or marketted. or which games got which inserts. ALL games back then were getting the "Dog Tag" inserts, so tryint to say one person said "No" to a cartridge coming with a "Dog Tag" is just crazy.

Now back to the Dog Tag inserts....

This game has a Dog Tags from 1990:
League Bowling.

And all these games have Dog Tags from 1991:
Alpha Mission 2,
Burning Fight,
Eightman,
Fatal Fury.
Ghost Pilots,
King of the Monsters,
Mutation Nation,
Robo Army,
Super Baseball 2020.

So as you see, the dog tags started in 1990 and have MANY inserts in 1991. They go all the way till 1994 with World Heroes 2 Jet and Samurai Shodown 2.

For all we know, all games from that time frame may - I repeat "MAY" have both the NeoGeo logo inserts as well as the Dog Tag inserts.

I am NOT saying they do, I am just saying it is a possibility based on time lines.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I could've lived without the "Dog Tag" logo and the "Bigger Badder Better" marketing pitch that accompanied it. And yes, the standard "Neo-Geo" logo does look better/cleaner than the "Dog Tag" one. But that's just my 2 cents...

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well just for the record here are the dog tag logo games I personaly have

World heros 2
World Heros 2 jet
Art of Fighting
Fatal Fury
Fatal fury 2
Robo army
last resort
King of the monsters
King of the monsters 2 (did not see this one mentioned)
Alpha Mission 2
Baseball stars
Burning fight
soccer brawl
Football Frenzy
League bowling
Super baseball 2020
Mutation nation
and
eightman

Now I guess to answer the orginal question if I think either one is worth more. Personally, no. I fell it more a matter of taste like everyone else is saying.

Oh and picture available upon request
smile.gif

Neo Bomber Man

Miracle Seller, , ,
Originally posted by Geddon_jt:
... Until I see them, Im convinced they dont exist.

World Heroes 1
Samurai Shodown 1
Spinmaster
Viewpoint
Art of Fighting 2
Andro Dunos

John

Personally I have seen Art of Fighting 2 with the dog tag insert. I would assume the manual is the same. That's why I bought the import. There's one shoppe downtown that's had a few copies the game, for years it must be. If their atrocious prices have kept even one copy on the shelf, I'll see if they'll let me take a photo of it or not. They may have also had/still have Andro Dunos. I have not visited the place in a long time. I don't recall their selection that well either. If I have anything to report, I certainly shall. Viewpoint I once, and ONLY once, saw with that ugly US-only logo.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Well, here are a few of my SNK logo (non-dog tag) early carts:

Samurai 1
Andro Dunos
AOF
AOF2
Aero Fighters 2
Karnov's Revenge
WH 2 Jet
Top Hunter

For what its worth . . .
cool.gif

Dion

Well, there you go Thacker, "Neo Bomberman" of Canada is saying he saw AoF2, Andro Dunos, and Viewpoint as Dog Tag inserts.

Soon, these will be just understood that they exist......just as we now accept "SS2 and WH2 with "NeoGeo" logo.

Dion of NGF
www.neogeofreak.com

Adol

The French Connection, ,
Originally posted by Dion:
Also on another note, many people didn't believe that an "English" Kizuna Encounter, Double Dragon, or Ultimate 11 existed. But now we know they do.

i know,i was the first to get them,and show them on internet...and i know very well world heroes 2 or SS2 exist in neo geo logo versions,because i live in europe,where we have never seen dog tagged ones

however,i'm pretty sure view point dog tagged doesn't exist,except in your dreams,dion,or in your insert factory..

because my neogeo knowledge is far bigger than yours,and geddon's one as well,i think

I remember fellow NGFer "Chris" actually was calling out certain people to prove that those versions existed. He was willing to PAY to see proof. And luckily, someone from Germany posted the scans of those inserts. And now, we have them all.

i still don't see ultimate 11 in your collection

i can sell it to you,for a good price of $1000..this is a lifetime deal for you,you won't be able to get it anywhere..