MVS Sound problems (crackly, headphones...)

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Hello
I've been meaning to post on here for a while, but I finally got round to it now as I need some tech advice.
I just bought a 4-slot MVS and I'm having a few problems with the sound:::

1) The jamma loom sound output crackles when there are explosions/loud rock guitar etc. I have blown any dust out of the slots with compressed air and brushed the contacts with an old toothbrush (a la HardMVS advice) but it's still crackly. I'm going to try some better cleaning tonight, but I'm not holding my breath. Help Help Help!

2) The headphone jacks on the board are not outputting sound. I checked on HardMVS and it states that the board has a headphone connector (it does have this, the four pin thing) but no headphone jacks. It has two jacks! Is there a way to turn them on?
The headphone connector outputs the sound just as crackly as the jamma connector.

Please can I have some advice or hear from people with similar problems. I'm pretty sure it's on the board as I've just got a brand-spanking new copy of Rage of The Dragons, and that has plenty of crackly sound!

Help Help Help

Last edited:

greyimp

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Don't know too much, but what I know, I'm willing to share. :D

1) I have the exact same problem on my Neo-1 board. I haven't really discovered a way to solve it, but on mine it only happens when music plays...maybe the sound chip(Z80?) is busted? Also, another ng.com member said that he replaced a lot of the resistors and such to solve a similar problem. But, that's too heavy duty for me though.

2)This may sound obvious, but have you tried turning up the volume on the board?
That was one of my problems, too. :glee: Just slide one of the little 'slidy things' until you hear something. Also, make sure its set to STEREO on the little switch near it to hear anything out the Stereo, non-headphone prongs.
As for there being 'headphone jacks'. that's sounds kinda wierd for a four slot to have. Would you mind posting a pic?

Hope that helps a bit.
:D

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Ok, I hope these work for people. I know geocities often messes up (or is it me!).
If you can't see the pic, right click, save target... (just check and geocities don't let you export pics, so you'll have to right click, save target as...)

http://www.geocities.com/tablefootballcuppers/labelanddips.JPG
First
labelanddips.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tablefootballcuppers/headjack.JPG
Second
headjack.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tablefootballcuppers/bottomboard.JPG
Third
bottomboard.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tablefootballcuppers/SNKdetails.JPG
Fourth
SNKdetails.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/tablefootballcuppers/TopboardJPG.JPG
Fifth
TopboardJPG.JPG

The headphone slider doesn't affect the jacks. check out headjack.jpg for details.

Last edited:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Ok, so i've spent the evening between watching The Postman (the film, not the local employee) and cleaning my MVS.

No Joy. All I want to do is kick back with RotD with my speakers pumping out the sound, and I can't do it! Well I could, but it would be all crackly.

Any more help/suggestions from people. e.g. if it is a problem with the Z80 sound chip, what are the remedies? Any cleaning tips from those who've made their sound improve?

Please help!

Jagull

n00b
i'm in the same boat as you - headphone jacks output no sound. Havent tried the pin connector yet

:-/

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
I can't see the pics..
If you email them to me I will host/post them for you..

J0e Musashi

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'd try and offer you some help but my 4-slot is completely different to that. I have a MVH MV4FT2. I don't understand why your one has the 4-pin connector aswell as headphone ports built in. The 4-pin connector is used to wire up the headphone ports on the MV-IC memory card reader. If you did this you'd have 4 headphone ports.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Thanks for the help getting the pictures to work, now how do I get the sound fixed? My biggest concern is getting rid of the crackle. If people have found that the headphone jacks output a cleaner sound, let me know!

Has anyone had this crackly problem and fixed it?
If so did they:

1) Clean the cart really well
2) Clean the motherboard slots really well
3) Replace some resistors (details please!)
4) Replace the Z80 or other chips
5) Some thing else (details please)

I'm sure I can't be the only one with this trouble, so I'm hoping someone else has either fixed it or has some top ideas what could be wrong.

Thanks again for the effort so far. :cool:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Have you tried other speakers..?
Maybe the speakers are shot....

Are they the standard cabs speakers.?

The Volume slide switch may be bad or dirty inside.

The the two ports are for Line In,not headphone jacks or sound.
040521141338.jpg

headjack.jpg

MV-4FallopenSm.jpg

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/MV-4F.htm

# Of Slots 4
Cart Orientation V
Harness Type MVS
On Board Memory Slot No
MV-IC Memory Board Support Yes
Joystick Ports Yes
Stereo Through Harness Yes
Stereo Through PCB Connector Yes*
Stereo / Mono Switch No
Built In Headphone Jacks No
Headphone Connector Yes
Volume Control Yes
Headphone Volume Control Yes
BIOS Socket
MV-2F & MV-4F Manual
Notes:

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
So those two are line in! Good knowledge!

The speakers are normal Hi-Fi speakers and are working fine...

Any ideas anyone?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
So those two are line in! Good knowledge!

The speakers are normal Hi-Fi speakers and are working fine...

Any ideas anyone?

What Ohm are those speakers..?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
They are 8 ohm speakers.

Could this affect things?

Hmm..8 Ohm huh..

Ok maybe I was asking the wrong question..
As looking through the 15 thousand MVS manuals I have(exaggeration)..I can only find the Speaker specs in my Neo Golds 2-19 Manual.

They are Speaker,4"Dia..,8 Ohm 5 Watt..

I think the question I should of asked is what's the Wattage on your speakers.

Maybe if the wattage is to high or perhaps to low then you'd get a crackily sound..

Have you tried any other speakers..?

But I need ttooddddyy in here since he knows more about the speaker wattage issues..

eclypse

Banned
Ahh good to know that they are just line in.. I have the same 4 slot.

I was just trying the MC-V1 board the other night that i bought off of ebay and both headphone jacks work on the memory board and not on the 4 slot hehe.. since there inputs.

I did notice that it would crackle a little till i moved the volume control a tad either way then it would be fine.

I used it with headphones only... I should hook it up to the reciever and see how it is as well..

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Well for tonight's little project (which again I doubt will work!!!) I'm going to try to wire up the headphone connector to line in on my amp.
I reckon maybe with the amp right up and the headphones right down, maybe I'll lose that crackle...

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
And I'm intrigued by whether speaker wattage could cause this - I'm using some Sonys with a max power of 70W, so surely 5 should be no trouble?
Could this cause my problems?

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
And I'm intrigued by whether speaker wattage could cause this - I'm using some Sonys with a max power of 70W, so surely 5 should be no trouble?
Could this cause my problems?

To be honest ..I don't know much about speakers within the Wattage issue..
(Info I could actually easily look up/but am short on time)

To me 70 Watts seems high..from a required 5 watts..

If it's a 5-70 wattage MAX limit thing with the speakers then it wouldn't matter..

If it's not and the speakers need close to 70 watts to push them,then I think the board is not strong enough thus making a crackle because the boards Sound Z80 chip is overworking trying to meet that wattage..

If that's the case then I wouldn't use those speakers..they may blow your sound chip/if not already done..

The real only way would be to get a 8 Ohm 5 Watt Speaker and try it..

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
Well for tonight's little project (which again I doubt will work!!!) I'm going to try to wire up the headphone connector to line in on my amp.
I reckon maybe with the amp right up and the headphones right down, maybe I'll lose that crackle...

Well I would say if the 70 watt speakers need more wattage to them then an Amp pushing that amount may work..

(Never done this myself)

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Ok.... I now have no sound from my PC (where I took the cable from) and the output is still crackly.

Thanks for all your help Chris, I really don't want to have to buy a new motherboard just for the sound.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
El Capitan said:
Ok.... I now have no sound from my PC (where I took the cable from) and the output is still crackly.

Thanks for all your help Chris, I really don't want to have to buy a new motherboard just for the sound.

I'd say try using some speaker/s that are a closer match to the right ones before you do anything.

Maybe from an old radio....

Also..try moving the Volume slide switch back and forth a few times..
Sometimes drt/dust gets in there...

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
chris1 said:
Hmm..8 Ohm huh..

Ok maybe I was asking the wrong question..
As looking through the 15 thousand MVS manuals I have(exaggeration)..I can only find the Speaker specs in my Neo Golds 2-19 Manual.

They are Speaker,4"Dia..,8 Ohm 5 Watt..

I think the question I should of asked is what's the Wattage on your speakers.

Maybe if the wattage is to high or perhaps to low then you'd get a crackily sound..

Have you tried any other speakers..?

But I need ttooddddyy in here since he knows more about the speaker wattage issues..

See below for the typical mono/stereo output circuit from the HA13001.
HA13001.gif

as you can see, in stereo mode nominal power out is 2X 5.5W rms.
First thing I would check is if the HA13001 is getting really hot, they do run warm if driven hard but should not be too hot to touch. It may be that the sensitivity of the larger speakers requires the audio output stage to be driven harder leading to overheating and subsequent distortion- try lower wattage speakers. I dont really beleive its the cause, but it would be worth eliminating.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
Thanks for the tech side of things - I'll give it a try.

I'm sure I must have some smaller speakers somewhere...

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I think I'll try some small speakers, but I'm concerned as the headphone connector also outputs the fuzzy sound.