Kao Megura (sad news)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
My condolences to the family. I definitely knew that handle from all the KOF faqs he wrote.

COMEDISDEGNO

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Taken from Gamefaqs' mainpage:

5/19/04 12:30PM Truly A Legend.
It's with a very heavy heart that I must tell you that Chris MacDonald, known to most of you as Kao Megura, passed away earlier this week well before his time.
Chris wasn't just a contributor to GameFAQs, he was the contributor. Still one of the most prolific and well-respected contributors to this site, he created probably the most well-known and well-read (and not to mention well-written) FAQs on the whole of the Internet back in 1997 for Final Fantasy VII. That guide alone is still used and credited today as the inspiration for countless authors to follow. From my own correspondence with him, I can also tell you that he was a great guy to get to know.

Not merely GameFAQs, not just the Internet, but the world as a whole has lost someone special, and he will be truly missed. I truly believe that GameFAQs as we know it today would not have existed without him.

Friends, acquaintances, and even those who were just inspired or helped without ever even knowing him personally who wish to send comments and rememberances may send them to kao@gamefaqs.com. This mail will go to his family, not to me, so please use it appropriately. Charitable donations can be made to UNICEF.

He's been one of the best faq writers of the whole net, his work gave me and thousands of other players out there help and inspiration throughout many long years of gaming.

Thank you Chris. You'll be missed.

Hellsing

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Kirk Foiden said:
My condolences to the family. I definitely knew that handle from all the KOF faqs he wrote.
I have a couple of his KOF faqs printed out.
My condolences as well.
You will be missed by the gaming comunity.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I've read a lot of his FAQs, I'm shocked...

My condolences. Anyone know what he died from?

Rain

Fashion Designer,
20 Year Member
Dang That sucks... His fighting game FAQ's were by far the best on the net, a real shame as he really showed a talent for them. My prayers and condolences go out to all his friends and family :(

Last edited:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I'm in total shock. Back when I was trying to write faqs he'd write to me about them.

I really loved his KoF faqs - in particular KoF 97. He owned Gunsmith hardcore with his dedication to translating all the in game speech and making an extremely thorough document, which could in every sense of hte word, be consider a F.A.Q. He was definitely a hard core neo geo fan, and probably more dedicated than 98% of the members here, considering how much time he spent making faqs for neo games.

I'm just floored. This really makes me sad.

I'm stickying this just because Kao Megura was, in my opinion, bigger than most people in the gamer scene.

I mean, those that looked for Faqs on neo geo games probably all recognized his name. Maybe neogeo collectors don't know him, but all the gamers should... And I would like to hope there are more neo gamers in the world than blind collectors.

Last edited:

Solidus Snake

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I knew that name sounded familiar, then I realised it was his FAQS I was looking at all the time. R.I.P.

Dallas_Five

Terry Bogard's Taylor
If i owned a videogame magazine i would've hired him in a second. He knew a thousand times more about videogames than most of the so-called "experts" that work for major publications.

My condolences.

RevQuixo

Rugal's Panther
20 Year Member
You know...you hear about stuff like this and then you go and look at some of his FAQs and you find tidbits like this:

"On that note, DJ Tigresa, leave my FAQs alone. You obviously didn't
get your movelists from <www.samurai-zero.jp> as you stated, because
you copied the same mistakes that were in v0.7 of my SS5 FAQ and use
my names for moves instead of theirs. Stop "referencing" my guides
without even asking and do your own work."

-From Samurai Shodown V Special FAQ

Total Respect.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
That's the reason why I put it in this section. He was a real Neo Geo gamer, and one of the most important members of the overall gaming and neo geo community.

I spent a short amount of time e-mailing him when he was working on one of his KOF FAQs because he needed a little help translating something, so I can't really say that I know him that well, just mostly through his work.

He was one of us who took a chunk of our time to create a resource for neo gamers and fans on the web.

You always knew to look for Kao Megura's name when you were searching for the best FAQ for a Neo Geo or fighting game.

He will be missed terribly by everyone. :(

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
I wish his family and friends the best in trying to cope with this lost.
This is a real tragedy.... a hurtpiece... he did it because it was his passion.
Truly a good person and intelligent mind summoned for a greater cause.
The real world and the gaming community has fallen in the I.Q department.
I just hope that his works remain the guidelines and symbol of excellence to follow in this climate of absurdity.
THANKYOU Kao Megura
-BB

Last edited:

Sundance

Sho's Rival
Although i didn't know him personally, i knew of him via GameFAQs. Its a sad day when anyone dies much less, such an informative and contributing person as Mr. Macdonald was. His presence will be missed. I wish all the best to his relatives. :crying:

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
yeah, not only did he write the best faqs, he read like eavery faq there was...

Vernon

"Stumpy"
Oh god! :crying:

with ALL my heart my condolences to family.

sorry for this :crying:

tsukaesugi

Holy shit, it's a ninja!,
If any of his family or friends sees this, then my condolences as well.

I am well familiar with his name and have printed out parts from many of his KOF FAQ's over the last three years or so.

I was always surprised that he was never a regular poster here. Who knows? Maybe he was under a different name.

The GameFAQ's eulogy is right, not only the gaming world, but also the Internet has lost something very valuable.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I didn't recognize the name but I'm more than sure I've read his FAQs while I was looking for help on KoF games.

My condolences to his family and friends. :(

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
you will be missed k.megura

my sympathies and condolences to his friends and family.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
I was using one of his KOF faqs today. :(

Via con Dios.

Mike