NEO GEO CD dead?

Wan-Fu

Galford's Armourer
Is SNK Japan still producing NEO GEO CD versions of their games? The last CD game I bought was Metal Slug 2 and then I lost interest in SNK until I recently heard that they went out of business in USA so I started playing my old games again and now I am hooked.

I saw there is a CD version of King of Fighters 99 but is it worth getting with missing animations and all? How about Metal Slug X or Metal Slug 3? Will these games ever come out on CD?

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
In answer to your question, yes the Neo CD is dead. At least as far as new releases. SNK (now Aruze) hasn't bothered to put out any new games for it since KOF99. No Garou: MOTW, no Metal Slug X or 3, its done.

As for whether KOF 99 is worth getting, I'd say that with the horrible load time on all the recent KOF games, its not worth it. You'd really do best getting MVS cart versions of all the games you want, and then a supergun/mvs board or a dedicated MVS arcade cabinet.
cool.gif

C

charles

Yes the CD has been dead for quite some time now. It's a shame too... they should've rereleased a newer version of the CD hardware with more internal memory. Or at least an upgradeable cartridge slot like the Sega Saturn. They could've put out a machine at a $150 price point and still made money off the hardware.

Then, release greatest hits versions of the most popular games... Metal Slug, KOF 99, Samurai Spirits, etc etc. Sometimes I wonder what kind of people run SNK Japan. The things they could've done to please their loyal fans.

On a side note the CD systems are getting quite cheap for Single-Speed. I am thinking of getting a CDZ soon. What are the rarest games?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Definitely Iron Brikinger, pulstar, Last Blade 2. I own about 40 Neo Geo Cd games. I have Neo Geo CDZ, and its not a double speed. I think it has just expanded RAM--that's what alot of people are saying. Some games like Last Blade 2 have EXTREMELY long loading times. Recently, I got a Neo Geo home system and several carts, because they weren't going to release MOTW.

BTW, KOF 99 loading time isn't that bad--probably around 10-12 seconds, but that was with Neo Geo CDZ, so... When you paly the cart version, you don't want to go back to Neo Geo Cd. It's just better somehow. There is a extra benefit of getting this version on Cd like extra chr. Real Bout 2 for Neo Geo Cd have quicker loading times. I think Neo Geo Cd system is good for old games, shooters, puzzles, and action games due to shorter loading times. It's not very playable with fighting games in general. I think home system or MVS is the way to go. But, if you want them, by all means. Neo Geo CDs are fairly cheap now a days.

C

charles

Thanks for the info! I myself am mainly into MVS, but I was interested in Neo CD for the collectibility. Who knows how long these systems will be around? Working ones anyway...

I have always thought Home Cart systems would be available because they seem to be more durable. CD systems seem to be a little more delicate and prone to breakage.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
You are definitely right. All Neo Geo Cd systems are fairly fragile. I think Neo Geo cd system (the newer model) are more durable than the Neo Geo CDZ.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
You're 100% right. The "single speed" Neo systems are much more reliable than the CDZ. I bought a CDZ from a local gamestore, and I had nothing but problems with it. It would boot to the game intro screen, then when I hit a button to load the game, the screen would go black and the CD drive sounded like it was struggling to read the disc.

I've heard that the laser on the CDZ is more prone to go out than it is on a regular Neo CD. The old Neo CD may be slow, but I'll take its reliability over the CDZ, any day. I don't trust them at all.

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah, I am tired of idiotic I/O errors, or something like that. Though, now, I only experience this 1 out of maybe 50 times when I load the CDZ. I shouldn't have sold my single speed. It never gave me any troubles at all.

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Yep, i/o errors I got on my CDZ, or the screen would just go black and the drive sounded like it was struggling to load, with nothing happening. Luckily, the store I got it from (Starland) took the system back. I told Chris (the owner) that the system was defective and I didn't want anything to do with it anymore . . . and he refunded my payment in full.
smile.gif

Oh, and if you happen to want to replace your single speed, I might have an extra one . . . I kinda overdid it when SNK was selling the single speed systems recently, and I could peel off one of my new ones (never used).
smile.gif

C

charles

I am interested in your extra CD System. My email address is in my profile. I was thinking of ordering one from Supersellers since they have a great price on them. If you are offering it for a good price I'll take it.

Is it brand new in box?
Thanks,
Charles

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Were you getting the I/O errors with CDR backups or originals? I've been using a CDZ for almost 2 years without fail, but then again, I removed the protection from all my games (I use backups when I play a CD game).

Jeff

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Jeff, every Neo CD I own (maybe around 50-60 or so) are originals. None were CDRs.

My single speed Jap system always loads and runs games fine . . . but the CDZ I got was a dog. In all fairness, it seemed to be bad from when I first purchased it. The owner of the gamestore tried to adjust the laser mechanism, and it did seem to be better right after that, but it rapidly went bad again. So I returned the CDZ, and will probably never get one again. I have a bad feeling about them, faster load time or no . . .
frown.gif

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
That's ok... From what I've heard, we'll all be able to play NeoCD's on a Dreamcast system soon (Neo-Dream emulator)...

Jeff

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Would this (the DC NG emulator) be a home brew project or commercial? I assume homebrew, as the market for something like that wouldn't be very large . . .

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
From what I hear, it's a free-ware emulator since it will require the BIOS image, so the author is going to remain anonymous.

Jeff

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Yes, the Neo CD could have been a good idea, but most of the newer games never came to the CD and you can't get the unreleased games on CD, so why bother.

I heard rumors of a Neo emulator for the PC being an official product back when SNK was still around, but I guess we'll never see that. It was made by SNK.

Maybe this emulator for the Dreamcast is part of that same emulation project as well.
We know SNK had a partnership with Sega and SNK has always been bringing their games to the Saturn and Dreamcast, so maybe the emulator is part of a project that was started by SNK and has now either been completed by Aruze or maybe bought by Sega or some other party.

It will be interesting to see if it really happens.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Well, if it comes to the DC, the load times will be really fast. (what is the DC??) But "can you imagine" if SNK would have released the PC Neo emulator?? Load times would be next to nothing.

Dion
www.neogeofreak.com

C

charles

I am really surprised nobody has done the PC emulation yet. The PC-Engine was done sucessfully, as was the Playstation. The Saturn (as far as I know) still has yet to be emulated, due to the complicated programming issues.

Anyway I figured the Neo CD would be easy to convert to any type of emulation, be it Dreamcast or PC.

Charles

[This message has been edited by charles (edited August 31, 2000).]

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I personally love my Neo cd systems and considered it a ensential part of my Neo stuff. The extras on the CD's and the cd music is a plus. Although I do dislike playing fighters on it there are other games I prefer on the cd system. It also opens a library of Cd only games you would not have the oppurtunity to play without the cd system.

Dion when you say you can't get the unrealased games on cd what exactly are you refering to. I can think of 2 and I know there are more that came out on mvs and CD but not on homecart. Like puzzle bobble and Power spikes 2. Unless your refering to the newer unreleased titles. I think everyone is in agreement though that the Neo cd will not be getting any newer games after kof99 and is as the topic suggests died.

anyway I recomend it for older games, cd only games and most any other games besides newer fighters (made in 94 and up). The fighters are playable of course but just not as enjoyable as playing on the homecarts. Although I would still pick them up since they are so cheap.

Im my opinion you would be missing out if you limited yourself to just the Homecart system.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
As far as games came out on CD and MVS, but not home carts, besides Power Spikes 2 and Puzzle Bobble, I can think of the following:

Neo Driftout
Quest of Jong Masters
Futsal (Pleasure Goal)

As far as CDZ not running properly, besides original games, when running CDRs, it's best to use Verbatim or those with dark blue base such as Hival or TDK Certified Plus, the chemical dye is called Metallized Izo. For some reason, this type of dye works with CDZ, same goes for PC-Engine CDRs.

On the other hand, if you have the setup that can make perfect copies, any type of dye will work on CDZ.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
As Phil mentioned, there're games you can only play on CDs:

Ironclad
Zintriks
Cross Sword 2
ADK World
Neo-Geo CD Special
Samurai RPG

I also like the musics of certain games, and I'd recommend people try them out, even if they have the same games on MVS or home cart (if you have the original rom, you're entitled to own the CDR as backup)